Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #1

Route-Houston area to Destin Fl

The most direct route by far is I-10 east. But as I remember there were sections on I-10 in LA that are really rough. Like driving on an old rub board that just beat the rig to death. I know they have laid new smooth sections in places but wondering if any improvements made lately from Lafayette to Baton Rouge and then Baton Rouge over to Slidell.

Thanks

adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
We travel E to W along that route and did not notice anything really bad. However, you do not have many other options. You will not like 20 any better.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
The most direct route by far is I-10 east. But as I remember there were sections on I-10 in LA that are really rough. Like driving on an old rub board that just beat the rig to death. I know they have laid new smooth sections in places but wondering if any improvements made lately from Lafayette to Baton Rouge and then Baton Rouge over to Slidell. Thanks
Welcome to our state and our wonderful highway system
barryb
Old 12-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crop Duster View Post
Welcome to our state and our wonderful highway system
barryb
I love La, it s just I-10. At times it is as smooth as glass, then bam you or on the rub board, then back on smooth as glass again. Oh well I will batten down and make the trip.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #5

Drove that last winter. Had seen/heard concerns. All I can say is you would absolutely hate most California freeways. Enjoy Destin! It puts anything in So Cal to shame as far as I'm concerned.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
We made a trip across I 10 from Florida to AZ a couple of years ago and it wasn't all that bad, I would take it over I 40 any day of the week. That's driving a one ton truck pulling a 5th wheel.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #7

I travel I-10 between Sulphur, LA and Baton Rouge, there are only a couple of bad spots on I-10, one is between Sulphur and Lake Charles at LA-108 exit, and again from Lafayette exit 103 to the Atchafalaya Bridge. That last section, because of its length is the worst for me, lots of uneven cracks. I travel in my gasser so it does rattle the dishes.

ItascaRVer is offline   Reply With Quote