Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2015, 02:21 PM   #1

Route on I10 west to get to the State park on Grande Isle south of NO. Anyone...

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2015, 02:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Sorry previous post was incomplete. I'm trying to pick a route approaching the New Orleans area on I10 west bound. My destination is Grande Isle State Park which is south of the city.

Anyone have any advise.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 02-11-2015, 02:48 PM   #3

Where are you starting out from? The easiest way to get to Grand Isle from New Orleans is by taking I-10 West to I-310 West, which turns to Hwy 90 West. Turn on LA-1 and it will take you to Grand Isle. The park is near the end of the highway. If you are traveling from the west on I-10, take Hwy 90 East in Lafayette, La and follow it to LA-1 and down to Grand Isle. It has been a while since I have been in that area (before Hurricane Katrina) but if my memory is correct, many parts of LA-1 is bordered by water on each side. Nice scenery.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol 65 View Post
Where are you starting out from? The easiest way to get to Grand Isle from New Orleans is by taking I-10 West to I-310 West, which turns to Hwy 90 West. Turn on LA-1 and it will take you to Grand Isle. The park is near the end of the highway. If you are traveling from the west on I-10, take Hwy 90 East in Lafayette, La and follow it to LA-1 and down to Grand Isle. It has been a while since I have been in that area (before Hurricane Katrina) but if my memory is correct, many parts of LA-1 is bordered by water on each side. Nice scenery.

I'm coming from Alabama on I10. The route you describe was my plan. Just unsure about the amount of traffic congestion in NO. Doesn't look like there is any alternate route. I've done I75 through Atlanta many time but I don't enjoy it.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 02-11-2015, 05:41 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
From I-10 take exit 220/I-310 South. At the end of I-310S, go west on Hwy 90. Instead of going the Hwy 1 route, I would go Hwy 308. Both roads run beside Bayou Lafourche, Hwy 1 is on the west side of the bayou and 308 is on the east side. There are far less towns and traffic on 308. In Larose, LA, you would have to make a left turn to stay on 308, do not do that, go straight ahead and cross the bridge over the bayou. This road is Rte. 657 or W. 15th St. It will take you to Rte. 3235. Turn left on Rte. 3235. This road parallels Hwy 1 for quite awhile, but again, less small towns, less traffic, less stop and go. Eventually it will merge with Hwy 1, which you will follow to Grand Isle. The less you can drive on Hwy 1, the better because of traffic. A portion of Hwy 1 is a toll road as you get closer to Grand Isle. I haven't been in years, but it is my understanding that it is unmanned. Do not ignore paying the toll, the penalty is supposed to be pretty high. Also, watch your speed limit. Places such as Golden Meadow have always been known as speed traps.

DO NOT forget to cross the bridge in Larose. Also, unless you really want to drive through New Orleans, at the I-10/I-12 split in Slidell, you can opt to go on I-12 toward Hammond, then take I-55 south, then I-10 east and you will be very near the I-310 exit. It's a few more miles, but avoids the traffic through Nola.

Hope this is kinda clear to you. lol Have fun!!
thanks8990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:48 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
thanks8990 is correct about avoiding NO if that is what you want to do. I-12 to I-55 then south to I-10 east back towards NO than I-310 West towards Luling.
However if you are coming in from the east time your approach to NO on I-10 between 10am and 2pm, take I-610 West before downtown which will than become I-10 again then you will hit I-310 just past the airport then of course west. Fewer miles and a little more scenic.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:14 AM   #7

Thanks guys. You have given me the ability to make an informed route plan.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07