Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Route options to Topsail St Park in Florida

We will be visiting Topsail State Park in Northwest Florida mid-November and would appreciate opinions on which route to take. We will be in a 40' MH with toad coming from the West on I-10. MS S&T suggests taking US-98 off of I-10 at Pensacola but looking at options. Seems like US-98 would be scenic but also lots of traffic and lights. Since we will be there a week I would prefer to sight see via the car. Would it be better to take FL-80 to FL-20 and take the Mid Bay Bridge to US-98 just east of Destin? Or, would US-331 off of I-10 to US-98 just east of Topsail be a better option? Or, just suck it up and take US-98 out of Pensacola?

Dawn and Mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
We like to take exit 85 and go South on US 331 to US 98. Head West on US 98 for about 3 miles, turn left on Fl 393 (signs on US 98 will tell you when to turn).
If you go the Mid-Bay Bridge you will have quite a bit of traffic to contend with plus a pretty hefty toll to pay.
Topsail is one of the best state parks that we have stayed in all over the USA. Enjoy your stay.
Indiana Journey

indiana journey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks Indy. I've been leaning toward 331 and thanks for the endorsement. US-98 just seems like a typical tourist drive with nobody paying attention.

Dawn and Mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For someone going to Topsail from I-10 west I consider the 331 route is excessively long. Personally I use the Niceville/Mid bay bridge route. I don't find the traffic that bad and the toll I consider nominal. It's the same route that I use when going to Henderson Beach in Destin. I'm in a 40' plus tow. My next trip down will be mid October. No reason to punish yourself by taking 98 from Pensacola. Either alternative is better. Enjoy the park.
Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:49 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Toll is not that bad, first two axles $2.50, each additional axle $2.50. Exit I-10 at Exit 56 and go on SR 85 south. SR 85 is four lane, 65 mph to SR 20 in Niceville, then urban four lane through Niceville to SR 293 and the Mid Bay Bridge. U.S. 331 is two lane all the way, and mostly rural and no services from DeFuniak Springs until you get to Freeport, then more of the same until you cross the bridge over Choctawhatchee Bay and then on to U.S. 98. There is currently construction on U.S. 331 south of the bridge.

Traffic is heavier taking the Mid Bay Bridge, but the road is better and there is food, fuel, and support services you won't find on U.S. 331.

DO NOT take U.S. 98 at Pensacola to Topsail Hill. There is nothing scenic about it unless you get on SR 399 (toll bridge) through Pensacola Beach and head east. Beautiful views of the Gulf of Mexico, but not really worth it unless it is the destination instead of part of the trip. You will have to rejoin U.S. 98 at Navarre Beach.

Staying on U.S. 98 can take up to three hours when the traffic is bad. Lots of traffic lights, congestion, and heavy residential, commercial, and military traffic.

I should know. I live here.
SSgt. Richard L Ray, USAF (Retired) - Laura L Ray
Our second home is a vintage 1995 Jayco Eagle 277RB 'The Love Shack"
towed by a 2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab short bed "The Green Goblin"

W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:01 PM   #6

just back from topsail on the 28th, topsail rocks. best place. we used 331, not bad road but does seem kinda long and could be consider back roads by some. major road construction at intersection to 98 but no delays.

Bob 06 Copper Canyon, 08 Dodge CTD
camping every chance i get
bob russell is offline   Reply With Quote