Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:57 PM   #1
Route Suggestions

I need to get from Pocatello, Id to Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin fast.

I am looking at routes and I want to take the flattest route as possible also.

I am wondering is anyone has any suggests?

I see from google maps I am go north up 1-15 to 1-90 then I-94 across through North Dakota and Minnesota.

The other route is jogging a little south then heading down through Wyoming, South Dakota and Minnesota.

My main question is the first route past yellow stone through North Dakota and Minnesota are we going to hit any steep mountain grades?

2014 Itasca Meridian 40U
tjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2015, 03:35 PM   #2
No mountains to speak of in the Midwest.

Forest Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:59 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Last time I was out that way, I-90 went straight thru Wyoming (from Devils Tower area), S. Dakota, Minnesota and right thru Wisconsin Dells, WI. No need to go up to I-94. We hit some ups and downs, but nothing I would call steep mountains.
John, Joyce & Libby the Yellow Lab. - Fulltime since `08

2005 Kountry Star FW-35LKSA by Newmar
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:29 AM   #4
I queried Google Maps ... it showed three routes ... I-94, I-90, and I-80

I have not travelled the I-94 route extensively.

I have travelled all of the I-90 route from Casper, WY to the Dells. It is mostly four lane road (some two lane between Douglas and the Black Hills but the lanes are wide with nice shoulders) ... from Rapid City this route is as flat as a pancake.

I have travelled the I-80 route from Salt Lake City to the Dells ... there is a good uphill pull just east of Salt Lake City (you will avoid this if you take I-84) and another significant pull just east of Laramie. There are lots of trucks on I-80 between the junction with I-76 in western Nebraska and where you would turn near Iowa City, IA. This route has the lowest elevation to cross the Rockies .... just under 9000 feet.

The difference in distance and travel times is not significant ...
2004 Winnebago Journey 39W - 2012 Buick Enclave
Present @home Home: Oshkosh, WI
We call our rig "Ernie the Journey"

skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:23 PM   #5
If you go N. on I-15 you will hit I-90 at Butte and east from Butte there is a long steep grade crossing the continental divide. After that there are no really long or steep grades. Certainly from three forks east it is all relatively flat and good Interstate on I-90 and I-94.
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote