Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2015, 05:22 PM   #1

Route Suggestions

In late October I will be traveling by Motorhome from RI to the southern tip of NJ. I am leaning towards taken the Tappen Zee to the Garden State Parkway. I contacted authorities at the Garden State Parkway and have been told there are no restrictions for RV travel. When I look at electronic directions , GPS , fmca trip routing etc. , they all want to send me across the GW bridge and down the NJ Turnpike.

Any suggestions and or opinions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2015, 05:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition1 View Post
In late October I will be traveling by Motorhome from RI to the southern tip of NJ. I am leaning towards taken the Tappen Zee to the Garden State Parkway. I contacted authorities at the Garden State Parkway and have been told there are no restrictions for RV travel. When I look at electronic directions , GPS , fmca trip routing etc. , they all want to send me across the GW bridge and down the NJ Turnpike.

Any suggestions and or opinions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

It's been a few years but I took the Tappen Zee/Garden State, in an 40 coach plus toad and it was a good route. The bridge is free going west.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:59 PM   #3
GGC

Do not do the gwb!! Not a good place for any vehicle.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:01 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check with the DOT of each state for road conditions. EXAMPLE: New Jersey Traffic and Road Closure Information | Federal Highway Administration
New Jersey Travel Information - Highway and Road Conditions, Weather, Airports, Traffic and Transit
Old 10-21-2015, 02:49 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGC View Post
Do not do the gwb!! Not a good place for any vehicle.
Agree - it's not so much the GWB itself, but the approaches to it, southbound. There's no easy way to get from where you are to the bridge. Once OVER the bridge into Jersey, it's no big deal - but the Cross Bronx or other upper Manhattan routes are not fun at all.

As suggested, take the Zee and just follow the signs to the GSP. The northern parts of the parkway can get a bit hectic, depending on time of day and all, but each mile you get south will improve the trip. Once down past my favorite GSP Rest Area, good old "Cheesequake", you'll be fine. The differences between the area around Jersey City, and the area around Toms River are night and day.

Headed for Cape May, or the ferry?
Old 10-21-2015, 04:59 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I do GSP in my 40 ft Phaeton often. In northern part their are a number of stone overpasses that are low on the outside lanes. Stay one lane from the right and you have no height issues.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:09 AM   #7

With all the feedback I have received it sounds like The GSP for me. I have calculated the tolls with the NJ turnpike and they come up about the same as the GSP so it appears it is a no brainer. And yes headed for the Cape May area.