Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2015, 04:55 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Route suggestions from Seattle to Mesa

We are on our way from Vancouver BC to Mesa AZ and I would appreciate any suggestions for best route. I've driven I-5 many times down to Bakersfield and then East to Phoenix. If I can avoid that I would be happy. Likely crossing into WA first of November ... don't want to risk any mountain passes that could be snowed.

Motorhome 36 feet with toad.

Thanks muchly

Durabil
bilrob3@yahoo.ca

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2015, 06:36 PM   #2

I've hit snow so many times , on every route; south from Vancouver; that when it comes time for tires , I'll be looking at traction tread.
No way out of Washington, Oregon , that doesn't have a pass with the possibility of snow, at that time of year , and I'm usually a week ahead of your departure date.
Hope the fires flanking I-5 are out by the time we travel.
From I-5, I've started going south of Bakersfield to avoid the traffic there , through Arvin, east of Arvin, on 223, there is a short steep climb to link to 58, but it's very light traffic, that route adds about 20 miles , but my best guess-timate would be a 45 min saving over all the traffic lights, through Bakersfield.
This year , I'll be going south from Kelowna, through Montana to visit friends who can no longer come south for health reasons, and the two times I've done the route there , I've hit snow. I-84 through Ontario OR, snow , 97 south to Weed CA, snow.
The one time I considered the coast route through OR. to miss the Passes on I-5 at the CA border, surf was running 38' and there was a tornado in Newport. We just travel at the wrong time of year for good dry weather.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:57 PM   #3

We are headed south a week earlier than you. I am planning to cross over over to 395 from Springfield / Eugene, the follow 395 to the Palm Springs area, then take 10 east. That is not the Google recommended route, but I have driven it before in the middle of winter and had no problems. We will watch the weather and change our plan if needed.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:29 PM   #4

Nov you can have snow keep on top of the weather. I 5 to Seattle if no snow on Snoqualmie take 90 to 82 to 84 to Twin Falls ID take 93 south all the way to Wickenburg AZ and the 60 to Phoenix this is the short route with no more chances of snow than the 5. Good luck
mccrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:54 PM   #5

We are leaving Oct. 1st for Mayer AZ from Port Townsend, WA. I-5 South to Vancouver I-205 to I-84 to I-15 to UT-20 across to UT-89 to Flagstaff down I-17 to AZ 69.

Hope the weather holds up for us............

Cheers,
Don & Gayle
CoyoteFlatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:01 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevilleDF View Post
We are headed south a week earlier than you. I am planning to cross over over to 395 from Springfield / Eugene, the follow 395 to the Palm Springs area, then take 10 east. That is not the Google recommended route, but I have driven it before in the middle of winter and had no problems. We will watch the weather and change our plan if needed.
Beware of the pass (7500') at Bodie CA. I got snowed on there last year at the end of Sept. heading back from Reno.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:08 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
coopevilleDF route is the best and fastest. Just beware of the pass at Bodie. Also check the weather on I15 at Cajon pass. One other note, there is major construction where I15 and I215 come together above San Bernardino. Caltrans is completely redoing that interchange and isn't slated to be completed until the end of 2016. It's a mess right now.
Safe travels

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote