Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Send a message via Yahoo to FOSJ
Route Suggestions Orlando FL to Portland Or; Late March

This Florida born and bred driver is headed out from Florida to Oregon starting mid March this year. I'm not sure what to expect as we approach the various mountain ranges in the west. 40' DP with a 12' trailer. I'm looking for suggestions as to where we should consider crossing the higher elevations. We'll have 3 weeks so we can take our time. Tentatively I was thinking of taking I40 through Albuquerque, then turning north after Vegas or Barstow; 395 maybe? We will be ending our trip just south of Portland on the east side of Mt Hood National Park. The drive north and mountain crossing are the questions on my mind. Any suggestions? I'm even open to a more northerly route if the weather would allow it. Not really interested in I-5 through California.

Thanks
FOSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I would say, take I-80 through Wyoming - that is the easiest northern crossing of the Continental Divide. North out of Salt Lake City on I-15 to I-84 and on to Oregon.

All kinds of things to see along the way.

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #3

On I-40 in New Mexico and Arizona ... I-70 in Colorado ... and I-80 in Wyoming ... there is the definite possibility of encountering winter storms that will close the roads for a day or two in March.

I have encountered road closing storms in Cheyenne in early April ...

The good news is that these states have snow removal equipment so that 12 to 24 hours after the storm quits the roads will be cleared and ready for you to travel.

You need to watch for RV parks that are open during March ... some are only open in warmer weather in more northern regions.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote