Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2016, 01:55 AM   #1

Route to Cherokee,NC from Chattanooga,TN

Hey everyone, I need some advice. I'm going to be going to Cherokee at the beginning of June and was wondering what the easiest route would be from Chattanooga? I'm from Louisiana and have a friend that I will be staying the night with there. I was looking at the Hwy 74/64 route and it looked like the easiest to me. I will be pulling a 35" fiver with an F-250. Any input would be great, Thanks!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2016, 03:20 AM   #2

Well that's about the only way to go without going way outta the way.
I have road motorcycle from Murphy to Cherokee 74 is a good road.

pop-sicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:17 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Good road and a little curvy but it is the only route (truckers do it all the time) unless you go up to 40 and east toward Asheville and then pick up 74 and come back west. But, you could go over the mountain on 441 from Knoxville, Pigeon Forge area and it is a fun drive. By fun I mean curvy and two lanes thru the national park. It is worth a stop in Pigeon Forge/Seiverville area anyway and I've done it several times when I had 5th wheels. You will want to be skilled in using tow/haul or jake brake modes and not go that route on a weekend because of traffic. you'll have fun -mark
Old 01-01-2016, 10:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrimeaux View Post
Hey everyone, I need some advice. I'm going to be going to Cherokee at the beginning of June and was wondering what the easiest route would be from Chattanooga? I'm from Louisiana and have a friend that I will be staying the night with there. I was looking at the Hwy 74/64 route and it looked like the easiest to me. I will be pulling a 35" fiver with an F-250. Any input would be great, Thanks!!
Pulled a 32 ft fifth wheel this route in June. Will not do it again. The gorge is 25 mph, very curvy, no pull offs. Truckers do it out of necessity.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:15 AM   #5

We like to camp in North GA and I've been up 74/64 as far as Chatuga Lake in my coach three times and while it is curvy and slow through the mountains, I found it easily doable. I understand it's a good road on into Franklin, NC but have not been over it. I found several places to pull off and let others pass and it by far the closest way. My one caution is to stay well on your side of the road in the blind curves as you never know when you'll meet another big rig - especially a truck. Take your time and enjoy the drive up the Ocoee River.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:04 AM   #6

Thanks for all of the input everyone. I realize that it will be slow going, I think we'll just take it easy and enjoy the ride. I don't see a better route. Even going up further north on I 75 and coming down into Cherokee looks like the same curvy road through the national park.... If anyone else has anymore suggestions, please let me know!
Old 01-04-2016, 07:09 AM   #7

Good choice and it's only slow on the section that actually goes thru the mountains. Some do but I would never go from Gatlinburg to Cherokee in a larger RV. 74/64 goes thru the mountains where as US-441 goes over the mountains.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:40 AM   #8

Thanks for the input Larry. I have a question for you though, I was planning on staying on 74 all the way through Whittier and turning north on 441. I don't mind the slow going, just don't want it to be un-doable in towing a 35' fifth wheel. You mentioned 64, would it be better to take 64 at Murphy? Seems like that would be pretty far out of the way.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:32 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJones View Post
...But, you could go over the mountain on 441 from Knoxville, Pigeon Forge area and it is a fun drive. By fun I mean curvy and two lanes thru the national park. It is worth a stop in Pigeon Forge/Seiverville area anyway and I've done it several times when I had 5th wheels. ...
My first thought is...

IMHO...it is fun in a car or motorcycle but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone in a larger MH/trailer/5th unless they have a fair amount of experience in mountain trips and are confident in the brake systems they have along with their skills. We drove it in our car a few times last summer to get to Clingmans Dome and on 2 occasions got behind 40'+ MHs and saw them struggling to stay between the lines on sharper curves and really back up traffic. I haven't driven south of the TN/NC boarder towards Cherokee to comment on that.

Don't get me wrong, it can be done and done safely but it just doesn't give me any thrill to consider it given all the traffic that can be in the way. That doesn't count the idiots that are testing there mountain driving skills either.

Here is a nice video of the drive out of Gatlinburg.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:10 AM   #10

Thanks Don. Yeah, I'm pretty experienced pulling trailers, but I have no doubt that I will most likely end up going a little slower than those without. Problem is I don't see a better route to Cherokee. I will definitely go through my equipment before that trip!
MPrimeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrimeaux View Post
Thanks for the input Larry. I have a question for you though, I was planning on staying on 74 all the way through Whittier and turning north on 441. I don't mind the slow going, just don't want it to be un-doable in towing a 35' fifth wheel. You mentioned 64, would it be better to take 64 at Murphy? Seems like that would be pretty far out of the way.

This is the best route for an RV.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:20 AM   #12

I would recommend staying on 74, not 64. 74 is four lanes from Murphy to Andrews. There is about a 20 to 25 mile stretch east of Andrews through the Nantahala Gorge. It is slow, but beautiful. We drive that route several times per year in a 40 ft. dp towing. Beyond the gorge, it is four lanes to 441, then north to Cherokee. 64 from Murphy to Franklin is a long steep climb up past Standing Indian campground, then a long downhill into Franklin. 441 north from Franklin is a 7% to 8% grade. Been that way too, but prefer 74.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:32 AM   #13

Steve are you talking about just taking 74 all the way to 441?
Old 01-05-2016, 10:40 AM   #14

Ok znt, that helps a bunch. Thanks sounds good. Looking forward to it!!