Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Route to Key West?

Hi Everyone
I have scheduled a trip to Key West next month. I have never been there and am wondering what the drive is like. I have never driven that far in my motorhome and don't know what to expect. I am fairly new to this, have only taken short trips so far.

shepserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
Take your time, pay attention to bicycles, they are everywhere. Seeing the keys by MH is spectacular as you are up higher to see the beautiul water.
Numerous State parks, KOA, and RV parks along the way. Key West streets are narrow and packed so take yout toad. Hundreds of places to stop along the way and let out your awning and enjoy the sights.
make sure you do Mallory Square at the end of Duval street. The sunsets are magnificent.
Been there dozens of times and havent seen is all yet.

Don and Nancy
2011 RED 2012 Equinox

djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks, by the way we are staying at boyds. Good place to stay?????
Old 01-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
The drive through the Fl Keys is beautiful!! It's not a super highway so don't plan on flying down the road. Take your time and enjoy the views. We just got back from there again and as usual had a wonderful time. Check out Blue Water Key Resort. This is one of the nicest resorts I have ever stayed in, especially if you get a waterfront spot. They are very large lots and most have their own "Tiki" huts on every lot to give you even more outside space. From what I have seen down in the keys most of the rv resorts have sites that are so close together that you can hardly put your slides out, not so at Blue Water. Hope this helps.
dairybar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I understand that most the private resorts are about $70 a nite and the State Parks are about $35 a nite and there are some great State Parks down there on all the Keys.
Mike Canter
"Gunner" USN Retired, Airdale
2004 Monaco Signature 44' Conquest. Detroit 60
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
Pond Piggies Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I like Boyds! Can be a little tight in high season but in August (lobster season) it"s great!
1996 HR Endeavor LE, 5.9 Cummins 230hp
Hartford, WI
Yaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
Hi shepserv,
I go to the Keys a couple of times every year. Boyd's is a good place to stay. Take your coach no farther than Boyd's. The streets get pretty anti large vehicle quickly after passing Boyd's. Leave your main land attitude on the mainland. When you get on route 1, you'll be on a two lane road all the way to Boyd's. Yea, there are a few short stretches of 4 lane but, for me, they don't count). It will be basically 45 MPH all the way to Boyd's. Obey the speed limits. Monroe County Sheriff and the Florida State Police patrol route 1 with vigor. This is especially true around mile marker 39 through 29. This is Key Deer territory. They are small and fast. The police are interested in protecting the deer.

If you have the time to do a bunch of tourist stuff, consider purchasing a package from the trolley company. In Key West, at the corner of Simonton and Green Streets is a booth you can purchase a package deal. Two days of trolley (get on and off as much as you want) and a bunch of great places to see.

There are a bunch of obligatory tourist things that must be done (or you'll need to come back). The most notable item is to get your picture taken at the large multi colored buoy stating your 90 miles from Cuba. It is at the end of Whitehead Street (one block from Duval St.)This is a good reason to take the trolley. It will let you off about a block from the buoy. Otherwise it is a long walk.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #8

Presently at the Sugarloaf KOA. Have had a site right on the water two years now. Hard to get the site you want. Figure $100/nite. Blue Water ( checked it last year) I have heard is $150/nite. Will be stopping there tomorrow to check rental fees. Either way, the Keys are not inexpensive, but you are paying for the beauty that surrounds you. Enjoy the ride and your visit.
Tom, Jan withn Papillons, Chance N Candy
'13 (60th annaversary) AMBASSADOR 40' DFT
Don't dream your life away, but live your dream
Long Island Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #9
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
We'll be there tomorrow. Leaving the bus on the mainland and driving the toad. B&B downtown.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins powered Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Honda CRV, tow-N-4 Down, U.S. Gear Unified Tow brake, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
Take the Turnpike to US 1 in Homestead and stay straight on it to Boyds. Don't bother with Card Sound Road. I stayed at Sunshine Key KOA which was nice enough but the pool was jammed with kids. I drove to Key West and Went to Monty's for lunch. They have a big pool there and you swim for free if you eat and drink there. Beaches tend to be rocky. Just because everyone else is drinking and driving doesn't mean that you can do it.
Denis, Ruth and Gracie
the K-9 Dashboard Ornament
2007 Newmar Baystar 3202
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:02 AM   #11
Freightliner Owners Club
We stay at Sugarloaf KOA every Easter and this year it will happen again!

Beautiful ride down but take it slow and enjoy. Depending on the size of your rig, fill up before Florida City as gas stations tend to be a little tight past the last stop on the FL Turnpike.

Go to Mallory Square for the sunset festival that's held every night. Great place to find is the NoName Cafe which is north of Big Pine Key. Dollar bills cover every surface of the bar and dining room!
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:52 AM   #12
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Yup, almost all two lanes from Florida City to Key West but some of the most beautiful water you will ever see.

Like it or not Duval St is mostly about alcoholic beverages. You can pick up the bus right outside Boyds last I knew and it is much cheaper than a cab and of course safer than driving. Just make sure to get on the return before the last one leaving. It was 11pm but check to be sure. We used to give the bus driver $5 and they will drop you right at Boyds gate and even wake you up if necessary

If your into Ernest Hemingway, the Hemingway House on Whitehead St is has a nice tour. Funny thing, when you see T shirts and stuff in KW with his picture wearing a beard, he never had one when he lived in KW.

If your into SCUBA and treasure finding the Mel Fisher Museum on Greene St is interesting.

Mallory Square at sunset and the Southernmost point are a must of course. Mallory Square has a nightly "circus" before sunset.
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Route to key West

Thanks for all the input and suggestions on this matter. Am looking so forward to this trip.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #14
Monaco Owners Club
To find the No Name Bar on No Name Key:
At the first light after you get onto No Name Key the road has 2 branches off to the right. Take the first right of the 2. Yes you do drive for a few miles before you hit the light.
You can get real good food at the drugstore that is kitty corner to the Southernmost Motel. They serve breakfast and lunch at good prices.
At MM 48 on Marathon Key is the Stuffed Pig. The food was great the last time we were down there. The locals eat there all the time.
You can check out Florida Keys & Key West vacation planning starts here with the Official Florida Keys Tourism Council for some more information.

One thing you have to remember about Key West is they move on Key West Time. That means that they do not move fast at most businesses esp in resturants. Be prepared to just take your time. Oh, do not ask locals for directions if you don't have to. Some have been known to point people in the wrong direction for the heck of it.

Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote