RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2019, 07:16 AM   #1

Route US 411 in Georgia and Tennessee

Hi Everyone,

I am going to be pulling a 5th wheel up to Pigeon Forge TN from just north of Atlanta.
I was thinking about taking I75 to just above Cartersville, GA and then take
US 411 all the rest of the way. Can anyone tell me HOW.... 411 is?????
Mountains, Hilly, many red lights, etc.

Thank You !!!
Chris

chrisgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2019, 12:04 PM   #2

Not mountiaous but hilly. Two lane to US 74. Many small towns all shown on a map.
Traffic increases to a crawl through Maryville.

mjacxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:40 PM   #3

Why not take 75 all the way to Knoxville then east on 40. We are currently in Russel Springs Ky heading to Pigeon Forge ourselves. Once there we go south into Pigeon Forge.
This is our 3rd trip within 18 months to the area.
I know we are north of the area but sometimes the 4 lane is better.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ & Joey
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:26 AM   #4

Highway 411 going northeast of Atlanta is no problem at all. It's well paved, sparsely traveled and not especially hilly.

Chattsworth in GA and a couple of small towns like Benton in TN are about all you hit until you get to Maryville. There, you'd turn east and go a few miles into Townsend, the back gate of The Smokies.

I sure would prefer that route vs. the incredibly busy autobahn they call I-75 up to Chattanooga and Knoxville. Truck traffic is especially heavy north and south out of Florida.

My family lived in NE Atlanta until leaving 16 years ago because of the excessive traffic. We keep a fifth wheel trailer in the Blue Ridge Mountains of NE GA still.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:40 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Highway 411 going northeast of Atlanta is no problem at all. It's well paved, sparsely traveled and not especially hilly.

Chattsworth in GA and a couple of small towns like Benton in TN are about all you hit until you get to Maryville. There, you'd turn east and go a few miles into Townsend, the back gate of The Smokies.

I sure would prefer that route vs. the incredibly busy autobahn they call I-75 up to Chattanooga and Knoxville. Truck traffic is especially heavy north and south out of Florida.

My family lived in NE Atlanta until leaving 16 years ago because of the excessive traffic. We keep a fifth wheel trailer in the Blue Ridge Mountains of NE GA still.
We stay off interstates whenever possible. So much more to see and do on US hwys. 411 is a good road much easier than I-75.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:45 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
411 is my favorite route to and from I-75. It's also a bit shorter. I avoid Chattanooga whenever possible. It's always highly congested and dangerous with many drivers moving from lane to lane, trying to merge or simply driving recklessly. Much of 411 is four-lane now. In some of the small towns, though, speed limits are strictly monitored, especially in Etowah, Englewood, and Madisonville. I had large Class A motorhomes and always towed a car. 411 was always my choice after leaving Atlanta going north and after having experienced Chattanooga a few times. Now I have a class B, but still use 411. Have a good trip. Komac
komac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:05 PM   #7

411 is the more scenic route for sure as that is how I always travel between Atlanta and Knoxville. You must watch for the posted speed limits in those small towns mentioned earlier as they are NOTORIOUS for writing tickets, even for 2 miles over the posted limit! The 24/75 split in Chattanooga is under construction so there is always a delay in that area. It is a good drive all the way to Pigeon Forge unless they are having a car show/rod run event up there that weekend. There is no easy way to get there when they have these type events as traffic is backed up from every direction. I'm originally from Blaine, TN about 20 miles from there and used to frequent the Smokies quite often. Have a safe and wonderful trip!
Dlciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:51 AM   #8

I live a few miles off Us-411 south of Maryville and drive this road several times a year. It's an easy drive from Cartersville to Maryville with most of the TN portion four lane and the GA portion a good two lane with passing lanes - it's a little curvier than TN but most don't require slowing down. From Maryville to US-441 in Seymour, it is still a good road but much curvier than south of Maryville, but still doable if you are comfortable on curvy two lane roads. In my coach, I always take US-129 north of Maryville then John Sevier Hwy (TN-168) to US-441 (big road), then on to Pigeon Forge. It's a little longer but a much straighter road. With the choice between US-411 and the interstate I always go 411 as it's a pretty drive, about 50 miles shorter and 15-30 minutes quicker. While you will go through several small towns, you will avoid Knoxville and the highly traveled TN-66.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:34 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dude View Post
I live a few miles off Us-411 south of Maryville and drive this road several times a year. It's an easy drive from Cartersville to Maryville with most of the TN portion four lane and the GA portion a good two lane with passing lanes - it's a little curvier than TN but most don't require slowing down. From Maryville to US-441 in Seymour, it is still a good road but much curvier than south of Maryville, but still doable if you are comfortable on curvy two lane roads. In my coach, I always take US-129 north of Maryville then John Sevier Hwy (TN-168) to US-441 (big road), then on to Pigeon Forge. It's a little longer but a much straighter road. With the choice between US-411 and the interstate I always go 411 as it's a pretty drive, about 50 miles shorter and 15-30 minutes quicker. While you will go through several small towns, you will avoid Knoxville and the highly traveled TN-66.
Big Dude's recommendation is spot on. 411 is great except the stretch between Maryville and Seymour. Follow his route and you will be happy! DO NOT be tempted to take highway 33 out of Maryville to Sevier Hwy - it may look shorter on the map, but I think it has at least one low underpass, maybe 2.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 10-14-2019, 08:39 AM   #10

US 411 in Georgia and Tennessee

Hi There,

I just wanted to THANK... all of you who responded !!!!! I really appreciate it.

Chris

chrisgolden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route