Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Routes into Helen, GA

One of my neighbors visited Helen, GA last year and tells me it is a neat little place to visit. So the DW and I might stop over there for a few days on the way to our next trip to Myrtle Beach.

Anyone familiar with Rt. 17 from I-85 into Helen? On the map it looks a bit curvy but in those north Georgia mountains, not sure there is a better way in.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #2

SML,

That should not be a problem at all. The roads in GA (state and US routes) tend to be very good. We have friends with a 40' DP who live just NW of there in Blairsville. Make sure you visit Tallulah Gorge SP while your there.

Bob

Old 05-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It's a nice drive, about 45 minutes once you get off of I85. Most of the campgrounds are on the other side of Helen if you plan to stay there. Helen is a nice day trip from the Clayton or Hiawassee area as well if you chose to camp in those areas.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
We just returned from a trip to that area. We stayed at Vogel State Park. It is a beautiful place. I can't wait to go back. The highway into the park from the south (I think it was 19) was steep and curvy. Not a problem, but it was slow going in places. We took a day trip into Blairsville, and into North Carolina and found the roads to be very good and easily accessible to a MH towing a dolly. Good Barbeque too.

Enjoy your trip
Old 05-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeman View Post
It's a nice drive, about 45 minutes once you get off of I85. Most of the campgrounds are on the other side of Helen if you plan to stay there. Helen is a nice day trip from the Clayton or Hiawassee area as well if you chose to camp in those areas.
Thanks. As a matter-of-fact, we stayed in Hiawassee last June to attend a concert at the North Georgia Fairgrounds. However, we drove down from NC. At the time I did not know we were that close to Helen. In fact, had never heard of Helen, GA until my neighbor told us about it recently.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #6

It's a cool little Bavarian wannabe town. I live right next door in Clayton, Ga
Old 05-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
I've been to Helen back myself, the roads are pretty good, you shouldn't have any problems.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #8

As everyone else has said it is a fairly easy drive. I live an hour from there and visit often. I take my 40ft DP and Jeep Wrangler toad there without giving it a second thought.

I really like UNICOI state park which has a handfull of full hookup sites but the book up fast.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusion View Post
As everyone else has said it is a fairly easy drive. I live an hour from there and visit often. I take my 40ft DP and Jeep Wrangler toad there without giving it a second thought.

I really like UNICOI state park which has a handfull of full hookup sites but the book up fast.
We would not be going until well after Labor Day, probably late Sept, early Oct. Do you think advance reservations would be required during that time?
Old 05-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I would take US 129 to Cleveland and then 75 into Helen. We have taken that route many times with the motor home towing a suv.
Check out Enota RV Campground off 75 between Helen and Hiawassee on hi-way 180 Spur. We used to back the motor home into a site and almost hang over a stream. We would sleep with the windows open in October and listen to the water rolling over the rocks. Enota - North Georgia Retreat Center - Cabins, RV Sites, Spa, Wellness Center Helen, Hiawassee Also check out Creek Wood Resort. Rental Cabins Helen, Ga, Blue Ridge Mountain Cabin Rentals | North Georgia RV Campgrounds This CG is about 6 miles up 76 from Helen. Both CGs are small. Aint Bee's Restaurant is across the street from Creek Wood and it is great yet small.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
We would not be going until well after Labor Day, probably late Sept, early Oct. Do you think advance reservations would be required during that time?

That is the busiest time of the year as Helen celebrates Oktoberfest. It's a really fun time to be there but it will be absolutely packed. If you don't like crowds I highly recommend going in early September. From looking at the Chamber of Commerce calendar it looks like the events start September 13th. If you do like crowds, listening to Oompa music and doing the chicken dance then it is definitely worth going for.

If you prefer a private campground I have stayed at Creekwood
Old 05-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusion View Post
That is the busiest time of the year as Helen celebrates Oktoberfest. It's a really fun time to be there but it will be absolutely packed. If you don't like crowds I highly recommend going in early September. From looking at the Chamber of Commerce calendar it looks like the events start September 13th. If you do like crowds, listening to Oompa music and doing the chicken dance then it is definitely worth going for.

If you prefer a private campground I have stayed at Creekwood
Thanks for the tip. Prefer to avoid crowds. I had checked out Creekwood and that was my choice.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #13

The owners are very nice and run a tight ship. A friend of mine and his family camped there a few weeks ago and agreed that it a great place to stay.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #14
doc

Appalachian Campers
Drive on up to Hiawassee (from Clayton) and day trip to Helen. That time of year will be almost gridlock on the one hiway going through Helen. Long crooked pull up 129 to Blairsville over Blood Mountain on the north section from Cleveland.