Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2011, 07:40 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Routing Advice Needed

Hi ALL:

Have to run from winter camp here in Florida up to Mpls., MN due to mom's failing health up there. Due to stalled storm front in the middle of the country, we're trying to figure a safe route around this storm and plan to leave in a.m. over toward Mobile, AL and on N. to Jackson, MN, Memphis, St. Louis, etc. etc.

Wondering......ya think taking I-55 N. from the Jackson area of Mississippi and on up to St. Louis area then W. over to K.C. and I-35 North from there will be a problem??? Specifically, will the extensive flooding be a problem on I-55 from Jackson, MS, through Memphis, and up to St. Louis. T.V. talked about some town in Missouri being evacuated due to levee break. Will flooding along this route affect travel. What da ya think???

Thanks.

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2011, 08:06 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post

Wondering......ya think taking I-55 N. from the Jackson area of Mississippi and on up to St. Louis area then W. over to K.C. and I-35 North from there will be a problem??? Specifically, will the extensive flooding be a problem on I-55 from Jackson, MS, through Memphis, and up to St. Louis. T.V. talked about some town in Missouri being evacuated due to levee break. Will flooding along this route affect travel. What da ya think???
Steve,

Google "511 STATE NAME" for any state you want to travel through. As an example, "511 Missouri". You'll find a link to the state sponsored website for travel advisories, Missouri 511 - Road Conditions, Closures, Accidents, Detours via 511 Traffic Systems in Missouri - DMV Guide for Missouri. That should have the latest info for you. Many states even offer toll free calls to 511 that will be answered by a live person who has up to the minute info (reports from a variety of sources: cameras, state police reports, motorist calls, etc.)

Good luck.

Take care,
Stu

Old 04-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Steve,
If it were me, in addition to having the Weather Channel on all day (either in motion Sat or XM Radio), I'd try to get west of the bad weather first and then head north. I'm not sure how many miles you do in a day, but once one turns north, make that turn early in the morning and boogie. Consider:
1. taking I10 to I49 (Louisiana)
2. Take I49 North to Rt 71
3. Take Rt 71 North to KC and I35
4. Take I35 into Minneapolis

I do not know RT 71. Looking at it on a map, it should be okay. This route gets you as far West as practical before turning North
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:12 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Stu (777driver):
Thanks for info re: that "511 (state name)" site. Wife knew about it but not me. (She never tells me NUTTIN!! )

Gary:
Yup, that Louisiana route MIGHT do the trick, BUT, I'm cautious about running that Hyw. 71 you mentioned. Some secondary Louisiana routes are kinda iffy!!

We're still sittin here near Tampa/St. Pete due to major tornado system just North of here up in Fl. panhandle, MS. and Alabama, and we mean MAJOR!!.
Right now we're thinking to leave Friday a.m. and run up through Montgomery, to Birmingham, to Nashville (if flooding doesn't stop us), and then NW on I-24 toward Illinois etc. Worried about gettin through that area from Paducah into Illinois. Lotsa rivers there...eh?

Thanks again guys.

Steve & Lynette
Old 04-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #5

Louisianna highways are terrible. Just came up 1-65 to Searcy Arkansas. It sucks. Friend in front got 8 barrels and I only hit 2. I went down I-61 from Memphis to Baton Rouge. Great route and no traffic. I would use I 55. I came up I-55 from Memphis Sunday through thunderstorms and it was OK . I-55 doesn't flood in Missouri.