Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #1

Smile Routing for Indiana to Denver via Black Hills

Hi everyone,

First post to the forum but I've been reading everyone's posts intently over the past few weeks. We're about to embark on our first ever trip in a rented motorhome, driving from SE of Chicago to Denver (planning to visit Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Sioux Falls and Black Hills on the way).

I think we've got our route planned out now but the Black Hills area is concerning us a little - I can't seem to find a definitive guide of what roads are/are not suitable for RVs. We've got a 22' motorhome.

Any other recommendations for routings/good place to see/scenery would be fantastic too from the experts around here!

Many thanks,

Jen

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #2

RE: routing and roads - Interstates, U.S. highways, and State highways are most always good, check on County roads before you try them; some are okay, some not.

Spend time in and around the Black Hills. Beautiful scenery and a lot of history there. A good route south from the Black Hills is U.S. 385 through Chadron, NE. Chadron is a good stop with the Museum Of The Fur Trade and Chadron State Park. If you are interested in seeing the "outdoor store that started tham all", stop in at Cabella's in Sidney, NE.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #3

RE: routing and roads - Interstates, U.S. highways, and State highways are most always good, check on County roads before you try them; some are okay, some not.

Spend time in and around the Black Hills. Beautiful scenery and a lot of history there. A good route south from the Black Hills is U.S. 385 through Chadron, NE. Chadron is a good stop with the Museum Of The Fur Trade and Chadron State Park. If you are interested in seeing the "outdoor store that started tham all", stop in at Cabella's in Sidney, NE.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I love the black hills, and would go far out of my way to get there, but....

They are not between denver and chicago!
Black hills/rapid city is i90 across southern mn and s dakota...

Denver is i80 across iowa and most of nebraska, then there is another interstate (i74?) That angles out of nebraska and ends up in denver.

Not real sure how toconnect the 2. There is a major us highway that runs the platte river. Northwest from 80 in central nebraska.... But thats no help from denver...
Old 05-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #5

I probably should have said we're also heading to Minneapolis and the surrounding area at the start of our trip so short of going all the way back south to Iowa/Des Moines and the I80 (we didn't really want to go there), the I90 was the best way west for us.

Although it's a detour I think we were planning on going over to Gilette and south to Cheyenne.

Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:13 AM   #6

Minneapolis is on I-94 ...

I have travelled the highway through Mankato down to Worthington several times ... it is a good way to get from Minneapolis to I-90

The rest center at Chamberlain is a really good one ... there is a good place to eat acroos the Missouri river in Oacam

The Corn Palace in Mitchell is worth a stop

The Badlands is an interesting stop .... and Wall Drug in Wall, SD contains lots of great pictures from the pioneer days {the pictures are on the very back wall near the dynasaur}

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Jen,

On your way home from Denver, I-76 will take you back to I-80 in Nebraska. I recommend travelers on that route stop at The Great Platte River Road Archway in Kearney, NB.

Great Platte River Road Archway: Home

It is just east of town and is in a structure that spans the whole right-of-way of I-80. Inside is a two-level interpretive center about westward travelers along the Plate River covering the time of prairie schooners, railroads and highways.

It is a true learning experience. In their large parking lot RVers are welcome to dry-camp overnight.

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We've been everywhere in the Black Hills and Custer State Park. The only place that may be iffy is Needles Hwy. They say "RVs and those pulling trailers may want to avoid this route".

However, with a 22' C, I don't think you'd have a problem. I do know you don't want to miss it, so just check with park officals. If you have the time, hit the Badlands and Devils Tower
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
doc

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
We've been everywhere in the Black Hills and Custer State Park. The only place that may be iffy is Needles Hwy. They say "RVs and those pulling trailers may want to avoid this route".

However, with a 22' C, I don't think you'd have a problem. I do know you don't want to miss it, so just check with park officals. If you have the time, hit the Badlands and Devils Tower
Maybe also avoid the Iron Mountain Road and the tunnels there.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Custer is great. But I wouldn't even take a class C on the Needles Highway or the Iron Mountain Road. The tunnels aren't very high on the Iron Mountain Road so don't take that from Mt Rushmore to Custer with the RV.

There are tunnels on the Needles but the last one is super narrow. Keep the RV at the RV park and take the toad on those roads.

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote