Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2019, 05:04 AM   #1

Routing from Titusvile, FL to CO Rockies

We are moving to the new home we are building in TGO, Titusville, FL. We typically spend summer in the Rockies of CO. Would like some suggestions/comments for routing out of FL. Previously we have traveled there out of our home in western NC on I-40, I-70, and I-80 and are familiar with those routes.
Thanks,
Richard
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2019, 11:55 AM   #2

Google Maps gives 3 choices for Titusville to Denver. You didn't say where in Colorado you're heading. They are:

1880 miles - I-75 to I-24 at Nashville to I-70

1918 miles - I-10 to Mobile and 49 to Jackson to I-20; 287 at Ft. Worth and 385/87 at Amarillo to I-25 north to Denver

1962 miles - I-75 to Atlanta to I-20/22 to Memphis; I-40 thru Tulsa to I-35 north to I-70 west

It just depends what you want to see, if anything, on the way. There are many secondary alternatives you could take to get off the interstates.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:10 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
resullivan,

I too love the Rockies and Colorado. When I head that way google wants take me thru part of your old route which goes thru Kansas. That flat (to me very homely) country bores me to tears. To me, the journey is just as much fun as the destination. Therefore, I take a longer, but to me a more picturesque southern route through New Mexico and then north into Colorado.

For you, that would look more like this:
I10 to Mobile
US49 to Jackson, MS
I20 to Dallas/FW
US287 to Amarillo
US385/87 to Raton, NM
This leads to I25 into Colorado
Amarillo TX- make sure to try out that 64oz steak. And you might want to see the buried Cadillacs just outside of town. Buried nose down with rear end to the heavens.

Google has it at an extra hour and 37 minutes but I’d do the southern route every time.

Just my opinion,

Safe trip and keep it between the lines

ArkansasRomr
ArkansasRomr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
first - welcome to TGO. I think we spoke about the sawdust club and I think you'll be down the street from me.

We've been back and forth to CO a LOT of times. With and without an RV.

The answer kind of depends on what you like.

We pretty much decided that we don't like: I-25 to St. Louis then I-55 & I-24 thru Nashville and into Chattanooga and then I-75 to I-10, to I-95. Too much traffic and too many big cities. But maybe you like stopping at those cities to sightsee.

We like what ArkansasRomr said, right down to stopping for a steak in Amarillo.

We'll take that southern route home this year in the fall when we leave CO. And we'll take a lot of that route getting to UT this spring.

Being in TGO your GPS is going to almost always try to send you through Orlando & onto I-75. That's a big no-no! Too many toll roads, traffic, construction and the dreaded Villages/Ocalla/Gainsville slow downs on I-75.

Look me up when you get here so I can pick your brain about CO.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by resullivan View Post
We are moving to the new home we are building in TGO, Titusville, FL. We typically spend summer in the Rockies of CO. Would like some suggestions/comments for routing out of FL. Previously we have traveled there out of our home in western NC on I-40, I-70, and I-80 and are familiar with those routes.
Thanks,
Richard
This or something Similar would be My choice - https://binged.it/2CtBrog - as we generally try to stay in Golden and get the Granddaughters. .

Hope this Helps,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:50 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Clearing up my Amarillo information. The Big Texan Steakhouse serves up 72oz steaks! And if you can eat one within an hour it’s free. Otherwise it’s about $72. I believe they have a nice campground their with free shuttle service to/from the steakhouse which does have good food and is a fun time when folks are trying out their big britches on that big steak!

Have fun,

Romr
ArkansasRomr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:19 AM   #7

Big Texan

Do the calf fires. Yummy!
Dov327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:17 AM   #8

Richard, as you know we live in S Mississippi so know most of the roads in the area.
DO NOT TAKE HWY 49 TO I-20 in Jackson. There is much construction and several small towns that all have traffic lights [emoji613].
From Mobile before the tunnel you will get off I-10 and take the bridge route around Mobile to I-65 then go over to HWY 45 and go north to Meridian MS to I-20 and go west.
You can plan your route from there.
Got your schedule yesterday, wish we were going with you.
Tell Betty hi.
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:32 AM   #9
doc

Appalachian Campers
I would suggest that a route further westward than going all the way to Nashville might be more advantageous - especially if you go thru Atlanta and Chattanooga at the wrong time of day (and the climb up Monteagle any time) . In the past it was part of my job to go there pretty regularly and it was never easy.

Couple this with the terrible highway in Illinois and then St Louis and Kansas City (direct thru or by-pass) it can be pretty miserable.
Please understand this is just my opinion (I live in metro Atlanta) I prefer open country and will drive further to avoid these huge urban areas
doc is offline   Reply With Quote