RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2018, 02:46 PM   #1

Routing Help

Traveling from Twin Falls, Id to Salt Lake City in 43’ MH. What is the best route?
We r planning I84 and I15. How mountainous is this route? We r new to MH life
and would like the flatest possible, safest route.

SMatthews1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2018, 04:07 PM   #2

That's pretty much flat. If you go off the interstate, you'll encounter problems. Best to stay on I-84 to I-15. It's only 220mi give or take.

yr2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:51 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome. Lots of good folks here.
You might want to post this question in the Navigation, Routes & Roads thread here Navigation, Routes & Roads - iRV2 Forums for more info

Good luck and enjoy the adventure
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #4

Thanks for the confirmation. Next we go to Beaver, Ut via I15 and following 1an overnight to Kanab. We r told I15 to 20 to 89 is safest, most flat route. With one mountain pass only. What is your suggestion?
SMatthews1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:52 PM   #5

You'll be driving flat and boring on those interstates. Salt Lake City will be the nerve-wracking part! From I-15 at Beaver 20 is definitely the way to go. Don't be tempted to go further south on I-15 and take 14 to 89. You won't like it.

Don't be hesitant to drive secondary roads to avoid interstates. There are many in the West that you can drive your big rig. We avoid interstates and have taken our 40' MH to gorgeous places via secondary roads.

I'd recommend you purchase the 'Mountain Directory for Trucker & RVers' which comes in both the Eastern states version and the Western. It will tell you what roads to stay off. We used it all the time. It gives very good descriptions of the roads - including Utah Hwy 20.

Hwy 20: it states the summit is 10 mi E of I-15 and you'll have a 8% grade from about 2 mi down then 4% for 2 mi. then 3 mi of 5-6%. The road is two lane with 45 mph curves.

We've done this road and it's very easy to do. Your motorhome is very capable. Downshift before you start heading down a grade; not in the midst. It's wide open country with nice views and the highway is good condition.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:59 PM   #6

93 south to well and east on 80 is an easy drive and if you have not been across the great salt lake this is an excellent time to do so plus you miss almost 1/2 of S.L, traffic
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverfever View Post
93 south to well and east on 80 is an easy drive and if you have not been across the great salt lake this is an excellent time to do so plus you miss almost 1/2 of S.L, traffic
93 is an excellent idea! I'd recommend to continue on it down to Ely, NV then 6/50 east to 21 at Great Basin Nat'l Park and 21 to I-15 at Beaver. A nice easy drive for big rigs with no traffic. Great Basin has a nice cave tour.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote