Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
Routing Suggestions Appreciated

We are planning a trip from Amarillo TX to the Grand Canyon and then to Northern California from the Nappa Valley up to Seattle Washington. I would like suggestions on route from Grand Canyon to Nappa. We don't really care to drive through Southern CA but don't know the quality of the highways west of Interstate 5. Any advice would be appreciated.

2005 Winnebago Journey 39K - Toad 2004 Landrover Discovery
scottma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
Excel Owners Club
You did not say how much time you wanted to take on your trip. Utah is a very beautiful with lots to see, make sure you go into California over Donner's Pass. that is my favorite place to see if it is winter, summer, day time and the best to me is when there is a full moon. There are good roads in Utah and Nevada to get you to Northern CA. Enjoy your trip!!!!

BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:07 AM   #3
We plan on 5 weeks for the trip with 4 of them between Nappa and Seattle. My wife and children will fly home from Seattle and I will stay in the Northwest to work...........so we don't need to account for return travel time. I am going to look at a map to see your route through Donner's pass.

I have also heard that Hwy 101 from Northern Ca to Washington is tough in a 40 ' Pusher. What do you think?
2005 Winnebago Journey 39K - Toad 2004 Landrover Discovery
scottma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar
I don't know when you plan to take this trip. So I won't concern myself with weather. If you plan on going West from the Grand Canyon here is a suggested route that will miss the LA Basin. Also Hwy 101 is not that difficult and the drive is scenic. Take I 40 to Barstow and then Northon I 15 to Victorville and take the exit for Hwy 138 toward Lancaster. The first 15 miles is congested, but not as bad as LA. Stay on 138 for about 60 miles until it intersectsHwy 14 toward LA. This will take you to Santa Clarita and I 5. Take I 5 North to Hwy 126 toward Ventura which will connect you to Hwy 101 on the coast. From Barstow to Ventura took me about 4 hours in my motor home towing the Jeep. If you made this a 2 day trip from the Grand Canyon there are several RV parks in Needles or if you want to gamble the Riverside or Aho park in Laughlin Nv.
The drive up 101 from Ventura, Santa Barbara, Pismo Beach, and San Luis Obispo is very pretty. Once you get to San Jose it's best to get off 101 and take a route that avoids San Francisco. If you are interested in this info let me know by PM or here on this thread. The KOA N of SF on 101 is centrally located for Napa, Sonoma and the Bay Area. On 101 there is a nice park in Benbow Ca, State Park in Brookings Or.(Harris State Beach), and many more up the coast to Astoria where Ft Stevens State Park is wonderful. Once you get to Astoria I would head inland to get on I 5. Let me know if you want any other info.
2008 Jeep Sahara '4Dr"
Ronnie Bledsoe
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
Hi scottma....I-40 to Barstow, and then CA 58 to Bakersfield. Going to Victorville on I-15 is not N/B. I asked the same question about getting to Petaluma,CA w/o crossing the bridges into and out of San Francisco. I was given a great way to go. Hang in, and you will probably get something you will like....You can also look up my post and check the replies.lenOrge
lenOrge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #6

We went from GA to AL,MS,TN,AR,MO,IA,SD,ND,MT,ID,WA,OR,CA,AZ,NM,TX,LA ,MS,AL,FL AND then up east coast to CT from 8/09 to 12/10. So I can only give you some OR/CA campground info.
Bridgeview RV park in Rogue Creek, OR and Mountaingate RV park in Redding, CA

Mexican restaurant in strip mall in town(near interstate) just north of Bridgeview RV park is excellent

navyblue is offline   Reply With Quote