Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2007, 05:35 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On our way home from Orlando we're stopping at Charleston, SC. MS Streets and Trips puts me off I-95 at Walterboro, SC to get back to Rt. 17 into Charleston. 17 connects to 95 farther south at Jasper. Anyone travel this part of 17? Is there anything about this leg of 17 that I need to know?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2007, 05:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
On our way home from Orlando we're stopping at Charleston, SC. MS Streets and Trips puts me off I-95 at Walterboro, SC to get back to Rt. 17 into Charleston. 17 connects to 95 farther south at Jasper. Anyone travel this part of 17? Is there anything about this leg of 17 that I need to know?
Old 11-20-2007, 06:15 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
smlranger,

You are better off not going through Walterboro, very tight and not a great piece of road. I believe the exit number you want is 33 from Northbound 95. That will put you eastbound on 21, towards Beaufort and then to 17 North. Much 2 lane on 17 between Beaufort/Parris Island and Charleston but a better ride all around. They changed the speed limit to 50 about a year ago so watch out on 17. Enjoy Charleston, one of my favorite places in the East.

Mike

Mike
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:05 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
On our way home from Orlando we're stopping at Charleston, SC. MS Streets and Trips puts me off I-95 at Walterboro, SC to get back to Rt. 17 into Charleston. 17 connects to 95 farther south at Jasper. Anyone travel this part of 17? Is there anything about this leg of 17 that I need to know? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'll be stomping through my home grounds. Do not go to Walterboro - get off I-95 on RT17 at Exit 33 (Point South) and take it all the way to Charleston. It is 4 lane most of way but as noted in earlier post there is a 2 lane stretch that is zoned 50 MPH and heavily enforced. It does have several short stretches of 4 lane to allow passing. Dependent upon where your going around Charleston, you may wish to use I-526 when you get to Charleston to continue on around to RT 17 N to Myrtle Beach passing by Daniel's Island and Mt. Pleasant,Sc
Old 11-21-2007, 03:08 AM   #5
paz

smlranger, we just drove that area heading south instead of north 2 days ago and I agree with Mike. Get off I-95 at exit 33 and take US 17 north. If you are going to North Charleston, just take I-526 bypass and I-26 from SC 17. The route you describe through Walterboro is actually US 17A.

We stayed on John's Island just west of the city and US 17 was a straight shot for us to get on I-95 heading south at exit 33 in Point South. US 17 is a decent road in spite of the 50 mph speed limit. In fact, you may be tempted to go a little faster in spots; but as Mike warns, the speed limit has recently been reduced. We didn't see any speed traps, but you never know when they will be trying to get the point across that there is a new speed limit.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:28 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
smlranger,

As you approach Charleston, from the South, on 17 you will hit, as stated above, 526. This is a good road and will bypass going through the city. However, if you continue straight through on 17 North it is not bad and will bring you to the new bridge to Mount Pleasant and Patriots Point. The new bridge is great and affords a magnificent view, especially from the high vantage point of the MoHo.

Mike
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:32 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paz:
A.smlranger,

W US 17 is a decent road in spite of the 50 mph speed limit. In fact, you may be tempted to go a little faster in spots; but as Mike warns, the speed limit has recently been reduced. We didn't see any speed traps, but you never know when they will be trying to get the point across that there is a new speed limit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are no speed traps per se. It's heavily enforced because it is the deadliest stretch of road in SC
Old 11-21-2007, 07:43 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Last Fall we drove from Myrtle Beach via Charleston to I-95 via route 17. No problems.

Alt 17 comes out at Walterboro. I took alt 17 to Walterboro 2 years ago and it was OK but the road was narrow with no paved berm.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:41 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
If'n you're passing through Walterboro, I highly recommend "New Green Acres Campground" right at Exit 53.

They have a doggie park and some of the longest pull thrus that I have seen. Full hookups, CATV & 50A. Descent price as well. EVDO cards work well here.

We often stop there on the way back from Florida to clean up our tanks before going home.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:32 PM   #10

Just did Myrtle Beach (Ocean Lakes) to Charleston on 17 and really enjoyed the drive. Stayed on James Island at James Island County Park (great park) for the Christmas lights then on south on 17 to I-95. Good road and once clear of Charleston the traffic thinned out nicely. The route thru Charleston wasn't bad at all though busy. We were two 40 ft. MHs towing and easily stayed together.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:01 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks, folks, for all the suggestions. We are at Jekyll Island now and will be heading to James Island County Park on Tuesday and will take exit 33 off I-95 as suggested.