Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2010, 06:26 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Rt 287 Southbound Around NYC ???

Has anyone traveled US Rt #287 around New Yourk City recently? Specifically southbound?
Heading south from New England on January 15th and want to avoid 95 through the city by using Tappanzee Bridge. Been this way before but it's been awhile and wondering about construction etc.
Will hook back up with 95 south bound in NJ.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2010, 07:56 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I cannot comment about construction, but I'm wonderin' how far south are ya goin'?

I-95 thru Philly, Baltimore and D.C. is no fun unless it's the middle of the night.

An alternative might be I-78, I-81 and I-66/US 17 back to I-95 at Fredericksburg, VA. We've used that route many times from the Allentown, PA area. It's just a few miles longer but much less of a hassle.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
First stop is Titusville Fla. I don't mind Baltimore and DC as we plan on going through there mid day Saturday or Sunday.
Our primary mission is to get out of cold weather ASAP. We will be leaving central Maine probably early Friday AM hoping to get to Willmington De by night fall. All this is subject to the weather. Second day should get us through NC or SC.
38' gasser with a toad and a couple of extra blankets for the first night!
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I-287 is fine in NJ but there is still construction in NY (between CT and Tappen Zee Bridge).

You can take I-287 around NYC and hook up with the NJ Turnpike down into Delaware bypassing Philly.

There is no direct link between I-287 and I-95. The truckers use a short cut of I-287 to I-78 West to State Highway Rt. 31 South (Clinton NJ area). 31 will take you right to I-95 in Ewing NJ. I95 then takes you through Philly.

We go to FL from NJ about 3 times a year and avoid Philly/Balt/DC at ALL costs. We always use Ding-a-lings route to bypass the whole mess. That route stinks regardless of the day of week or time of day.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:04 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
we drove I287 over the TappanZee on our ride home from Pittsburgh to Rhode Island. Way better than the alternative of taking the Cross Bronx Expressway and the GW Bridge. Construction wasn't too bad and 287 is a wide open 3 lane highway.

We weren't traveling south so can't comment on hooking up to 95 except that I agree w Tom that dodging the big cities or driving through at night or on a weekend would save some headaches.
Robsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
I live just off the NY Thruway near I84. When I head to Florida, I pick up I84 to Scranton, PA then head south on I81 by passing everything.

If I'm heading to the east coast of Florida, I will pick up I77 in Virginia to I26 to I95. This route is never heavy with traffic except Harrisburg, PA where several interstates merge. Other then that, it is very easy with nice scenery.
OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Let me add another option. Take 84 to the NY Thruway south, then take 287 in NJ around to rt 206 down through Princeton and pick up 95 towards Philly.
The routing around 81 is over 40 miles longer.

Bill
Old 01-11-2010, 05:38 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Be careful of the tempting Rt. 206 shortcut. IMHO, there are a couple of tight squeezes for a MH that would tip the scales towards a longer route at much higher speeds.

As soon as you get off I-287 onto Rt. 206, you a met with a 'coming from the left' merge onto the 'fast lane' of Rt. 206. Throw in the mall traffic from Bridgewater Commons mall and it can me a real mess. After about a mile, Rt. 206 degrades into traffic light heaven through Somerville and Hillsborough. One highlight is the stone wall you will see on your right that goes for about 2 miles. It is the Duke Estate made famous by eccentric millionaire Doris Duke.

Other than a quick left in Belle Meade, Rt. 206 does improve for a few miles letting you think it is smooth sailing all the way to I95. Then you get to Princeton.

For about a mile before the Rt. 27 junction, Rt. 206 is three lanes (one coming at you and two going your way) with no shoulder and sidewalks. With pedestrians crossing the road, lights and a road that is barely wide enough for a car, this is the route killer. There is a right at the junction of Rt. 27 which snakes Rt. 206 through a largely residential neighborhood.

Don't turn left onto Rt. 27 as that is Nassau Street (downtown Princeton) unless you have a very small MH. (Although PJ's Pancake house and Thomas Sweet ice cream are great stops to recharge!)

As you continue on Rt. 206 through Princeton, you will see the old governer's mansion on your right and Drumthwacket, the current governor's mansion, on your left - both unoccupied but sucking NJ taxpayer money.

When you get to the Interstate, you actually have two options. Take I-295 South which stays in NJ, bypasses Philly and meets up with I95 down in Delaware. Or take I95 which brings you through the heart of Philly. Opt of the I295 route and you can stop by the Flying J in Carney's Point NJ (exit 2C) for very cheap deisel and gas.

Good luck travelers!
Old 01-11-2010, 06:31 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Be careful of the tempting Rt. 206 shortcut. IMHO, there are a couple of tight squeezes for a MH that would tip the scales towards a longer route at much higher speeds.

As soon as you get off I-287 onto Rt. 206, you a met with a 'coming from the left' merge onto the 'fast lane' of Rt. 206. Throw in the mall traffic from Bridgewater Commons mall and it can me a real mess. After about a mile, Rt. 206 degrades into traffic light heaven through Somerville and Hillsborough. One highlight is the stone wall you will see on your right that goes for about 2 miles. It is the Duke Estate made famous by eccentric millionaire Doris Duke.

Other than a quick left in Belle Meade, Rt. 206 does improve for a few miles letting you think it is smooth sailing all the way to I95. Then you get to Princeton.

For about a mile before the Rt. 27 junction, Rt. 206 is three lanes (one coming at you and two going your way) with no shoulder and sidewalks. With pedestrians crossing the road, lights and a road that is barely wide enough for a car, this is the route killer. There is a right at the junction of Rt. 27 which snakes Rt. 206 through a largely residential neighborhood.

Don't turn left onto Rt. 27 as that is Nassau Street (downtown Princeton) unless you have a very small MH. (Although PJ's Pancake house and Thomas Sweet ice cream are great stops to recharge!)

As you continue on Rt. 206 through Princeton, you will see the old governer's mansion on your right and Drumthwacket, the current governor's mansion, on your left - both unoccupied but sucking NJ taxpayer money.

When you get to the Interstate, you actually have two options. Take I-295 South which stays in NJ, bypasses Philly and meets up with I95 down in Delaware. Or take I95 which brings you through the heart of Philly. Opt of the I295 route and you can stop by the Flying J in Carney's Point NJ (exit 2C) for very cheap deisel and gas.

Good luck travelers!
Flying J web site states at Carney's Point they are currently not serving Propane gas. Do you know anything about that? Would like to top off for the furnace is LP powered. Is this a suitable site lot to overnite?
Please and Thanks.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:03 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
I have not been to the Carney's Point Flying J in a while but will be there this Friday while traveling to Annapolis on a Boy Scout trip. There is a Pilot on the other side of I295 that may have propane. Parking lot is big but I've never stayed there (seems relatively safe too).

If you take I287/78/81/66/Rt17 end around route, there are many overnight friendly sites. Flying J in Carlisle, PA, Flying J in Winchester VA (cheaper fuel). etc.

I'm only about 2 miles off I78 Exit 11 in NJ. You can always PM me and overnight in our driveway or on our big dead end if you have a toad and don't want to unhook.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:09 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1374 View Post
Let me add another option. Take 84 to the NY Thruway south, then take 287 in NJ around to rt 206 down through Princeton and pick up 95 towards Philly.
The routing around 81 is over 40 miles longer.

Bill
Rt 206 thru NJ is scenic but the traffic can be stop and go at times. It could take you several hours longer going down 206.

The bad times are Morning Rush, Lunch, evening Rush and weekends.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:40 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
The timing of the whole run from the north through DC is the answer. For us, by planning to be past DC by 2:30, we miss the heavy traffic periods all the way down. Yes, 206 can be a little slow but our truck and 36 foot fifth get through there nicely. Haven't stayed on 295 in Jersey but 95 through Philly is multilane and no real problems. Besides, that routing sure beats the Jersey tolls and the Md Bridge toll plus its an hour shorter than the 78,81,66,17,95 trip.

Bill
Old 01-11-2010, 04:16 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
I thought I timed the Baltimore/DC run last spring leaving NJ late on Friday night figuring I would hit DC around midnight and shoot right through.

Unfortunately, they were doing contruction and we lost more than an hour sitting in bumper to bumper.

I've made about a half a dozen trips to points below DC since then and have taken the 'end around' through 78/81/66/17 every time. I would rather drive to an extra hour then face the uncertainty of sitting for multiple hours.

PS - regarding the I-295 route through NJ, no tolls on that road but there is a toll for the bridge from NJ into Delaware.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
I have not been to the Carney's Point Flying J in a while but will be there this Friday while traveling to Annapolis on a Boy Scout trip. There is a Pilot on the other side of I295 that may have propane. Parking lot is big but I've never stayed there (seems relatively safe too).

If you take I287/78/81/66/Rt17 end around route, there are many overnight friendly sites. Flying J in Carlisle, PA, Flying J in Winchester VA (cheaper fuel). etc.

I'm only about 2 miles off I78 Exit 11 in NJ. You can always PM me and overnight in our driveway or on our big dead end if you have a toad and don't want to unhook.
Thank you RVThere for yor generous offer. I'm pretty sure we are going to stick with Tappan Zee, 287, Garden State Pkwy and NJ Tpk to Delaware bridge. Many folks seem to think that the tolls are too high. Based on our past experiences I think that will be our 1st choice. Good Luck with the Scout trip. We were Scout leaders our selves when our son attained Eagle status. A very pround moment!