Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RT 30 Breezewood/Gettysburg

We are going to Gettysburg later this month and the route takes RT30 from Breezewood into Gettysburg. And this was using the GS routing and the Rand McNally GPS. It has been years since I have even been on this road in just a car, but I thought is was somewhat windy and mountaineous. How is this road for a 45ft Class A. At this time we will not be pulling a toad for a change.

Bob

majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
That is a very windy, hilly route. I believe there are warnings to truckers on it. You'll be climbing the Allegheny Mountains and traveling through many small towns with stop and go traffic and varying speed limits.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Take this route yearly on our motorcycles. Yes, it is very mountaneous for a large portion of it, with a few hair pin twists and turns (fun on the bikes). Would be a little challenging with a 45ft I would think.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
That is a very windy, hilly route. I believe there are warnings to truckers on it. You'll be climbing the Allegheny Mountains and traveling through many small towns with stop and go traffic and varying speed limits.
This is the stuff I look for. Have done this one several times.
Just take your time and drink-in the scenery the freeway/turnpike travelers have no clue about.
But the journey is my destination. You?
Some of us dont know where we will NOT hurry to next. The rest just travel.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #5

Location: Home base Lakeland, Fl, summers Columbus, Oh and points north
We just came back to Ohio along that same route. 8.5% grades, 3+ miles long up and down both hills. We did it in our new Georgetown towing a 25' cargo trailer. Not a lot of fun but doable. I certainly will find a different route when we go back
Old 09-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
This is the stuff I look for. Have done this one several times.
Just take your time and drink-in the scenery the freeway/turnpike travelers have no clue about.
But the journey is my destination. You?
Some of us dont know where we will NOT hurry to next. The rest just travel.
My post was not judging yea or nay, just a statement of facts.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #7

Stay on 76, go they tunnels instead of over the mountains. Exit at Carlisle, go south on 81 to the Hanover street exit and follow rt 34 to Gettysburg. Much easier roads, still scenic.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

My post was not judging yea or nay, just a statement of facts.
We are even on that. :-)

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #9

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I suggest taking the PA Turnpike east to exit 189 - Willow Hill, then take PA-75 south to US-30 east to Gettysburg. You'll miss all the nasty mountains on US-30 from Breezewood to PA-75. PA-75 runs along the base of the mountain. It's mainly flat with gentle curves. Look at it with Google street view and see for yourself. It's certainly a more relaxing (and safer) drive than dealing with the mountains on US-30.

Along the way on PA-75 you'll see signs for Cowans Gap State park (PA*DCNR*-*Cowans Gap State Park). The park's nestled in a picturesque, mountain setting with a small lake. It's worth a visit if you have an opportunity to spend a night or two.

On US-30, you'll pass Caledonia State Park (PA*DCNR*-*Caledonia State Park). I've never been to this park but they do have camping there if you're interested.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougrus View Post
Stay on 76, go they tunnels instead of over the mountains. Exit at Carlisle, go south on 81 to the Hanover street exit and follow rt 34 to Gettysburg. Much easier roads, still scenic.
We just did this and found the route above to be okay with a 38 foot coach pulling a 4 dr Wrangler (total 57 feet).

I thought the challenge was driving through town (Gettysburg) with the rig. Tight, tight, streets and 90 degree turns. It was fun. The circle in the center of town was not difficult however though I thought it might be.

Good news is that traffic is held back at stop lights to 20 or 30 feet from the corner giving you room to turn wide left of center and then back into your own lane when negotiating intersections.

Consider engaging a Ranger for a battlefield ride along. We learned more in those few hours than in all the trips before combined. They drive your car though, so maybe that won't work for you.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2012 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #11

Just traveled to Gettysburg the middle of August with a 37' FW leaving from around Canton. We took 70E to 79S to 68E over to 81N at Hagerstown in order to avoid the stretch of 30 east of Breezewood. You can either take 81 up to 30E at Chambersburg or (depending on where you're staying in G-burg) take 16 across off of 81. 68 has some pretty long grades, but not nearly as curvy as 30, or the Pa Pike for that matter, and very scenic too. We stayed at Granite Hill CG. Actually, we might be going back again in November for Remembrance Day.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
We are going to Gettysburg later this month and the route takes RT30 from Breezewood into Gettysburg. And this was using the GS routing and the Rand McNally GPS. It has been years since I have even been on this road in just a car, but I thought is was somewhat windy and mountaineous. How is this road for a 45ft Class A. At this time we will not be pulling a toad for a change.

Bob
Bob how was the trip on rte. 30 ?
Hasn't changed since you drove it years ago has it.
Maybe repaved in spot's but still hill and mt. and twisty.
Hope everything went smoothly.
Mike
Old 10-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we ended up going up to RT15 and took that down to Gettysburg. About the same time, and only about 30 miles further. We came back down I70 across I68 to I79 and then back on I70. Great trip and the weather was great. Thanks all for your comments, I guess I played the easy way on the routing.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
we ended up going up to RT15 and took that down to Gettysburg. About the same time, and only about 30 miles further. We came back down I70 across I68 to I79 and then back on I70. Great trip and the weather was great. Thanks all for your comments, I guess I played the easy way on the routing.
Did you take turnpike to get to 15?
Easy is what it's all about makin it less stresful for all.