Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2020, 04:06 AM   #1

RT 99 & Bakersfield

for those of you who may not see Chuck Woodbury’s RV TRAVEL newsletter i pulled this from the latest issue and thought it important enough to post here.
—————————————-
Trip update (Friday evening): Gail and I have made it to the Mojave Desert. We’re staying near Edwards Air Force Base. On the way here, we traveled a stretch of southbound Highway 99 through Bakersfield that is beyond bad. It is so riddled with potholes and uneven pavement that I worried my motorhome would start tossing parts. It’s awful. Avoid it if you can!
—————————————-
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2020, 02:04 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Its really most of 99, off and on. Really makes you notice the smooth sections, which are fewer and shorter than the rough ones. I just drove it from Bakersfield to Sac last Thursday. Actually drove from the Salton Sea to Grass Valley - 625 miles; quite a trek for one day riding an F53. And many sections of 99 were rough enough that I thought it might damage the coach.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:53 PM   #3

Have driven it many times heading to and from Highway 58 going to southern United States.... Yes 99 is the Pits (or Pots)
Is there a alternate route?

Also I can't help but wonder where our $0.12 a gallon gas tax is going...
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:56 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Well there’s I-5, but I was towing and didn’t feel like subjecting myself to he traffic on that route

As to the other we aren’t supposed to talk about that here. But certainly not the roads....
Old 01-06-2020, 12:00 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
Have driven it many times heading to and from Highway 58 going to southern United States.... Yes 99 is the Pits (or Pots)
Is there a alternate route?

Also I can't help but wonder where our $0.12 a gallon gas tax is going...
I thought our gas tax was closer to $0.30 a gallon as of 2017.

Glenn
Old 01-06-2020, 06:08 PM   #6

47 cents https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-...701-story.html
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:28 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
And climbing
Old 01-14-2020, 09:08 PM   #8

99 out of Bakersfield

OHHHHHHH LORD that road blows!!! 2 years ago I had traveled it in my F-53 with the new tires I had installed on my rig. At one point I was trapped in traffic and had to hit a pot hole, it was so bad the thermostat on the wall broke off the wall. every mile of that road was a hazard, I refuse to believe how many times we the people of this state have voted for a tax increase to fix our roads and yet that Hiway remains such a hazard. I have gone so far that I have even circled the Hiway on my Rand McNalley with bold letters to remind me NOT to ever travel that road again. Its a shame, compared to I-5 and the vast area with the amount of vehicles there, it should be a priority to make the needed repairs.
Funney at this point It would be easy to start trashing the people who manage this state, however im tired of wasting my energy on a place that JUST Doesn't care about it people. Instead I will only say, this state used to be MUCH, MUCH more. Save your VACATION dollars for any place BUT California!!! Cause the only way this place will change is to hit them in the pocket.
rikadoo is offline   Reply With Quote