Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2006, 05:55 PM   #1

I am planning a trip from mid NY west in the April time frame and I am trying to decide which would be better. Rt 17 to Rt 86 west across the southern NY border or drop down into PA and take Rt 80 west. Any advice on road conditions would be helpfull..
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2006, 05:55 PM   #2

I am planning a trip from mid NY west in the April time frame and I am trying to decide which would be better. Rt 17 to Rt 86 west across the southern NY border or drop down into PA and take Rt 80 west. Any advice on road conditions would be helpfull..
Old 12-22-2006, 01:30 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I took the 86/17 route West to East this past Fall. Road conditions are good. The scenery is good. The traffic was light. Between exit 17 through 23 there is an Indian reservation with cheap fuel (gas and diesel). Plan you fuel stop in this area to save some $s. There are bill boards to direct you to the correct exit. I would take this route again.

The last time I took I80 across PA, was several years ago. The road condition was bad. Traffic was heavey. Scenery was good. From what I read, nothing has changed.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 04:20 PM   #4

NY Rt. 17 is slowly becoming I-86 so there are upgrades in various spots along your route. Horseheads in NY is a pretty big one.

That being said, we just drove from Endicott to I-390 last week & had no problems. Of course, it's not construction season.

1998 TowLite 18TD
BigPackFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 06:37 AM   #5

Thanks for the input on the road conditions. We are going to be staying in the Binghamton Vestal area for maybe a week before heading west for the rest of the summer. Any recomendations on a CG in the area?
Old 12-24-2006, 09:58 AM   #6

If you like State Parks, NY has some of the prettiest ones. Chenango Valley State Park is very close to Binghamton. Only electric hookup (30A). But there is an excellent golf course on site if you play golf.

We go there every year.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 11:14 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
This CG does not open until May 1. We stay there whenever we are in the Binghamton area. Give them a call and see if they can accomodate you.

Pine Valley RV Park 607-785-6868. It is in the Endicott area. It is family owned and operated. Nice bunch of folks. If you go, follow the CG staff instructions on how to get to the CG. Do not follow your GPS. The is a low clearance RR bridge GPS does not know about.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote