Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2015, 08:29 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smile RV Navigation app on your truck

Was wondering, does anyone have navigation on their 2014/2015 truck? I own a Ram 2500 and it has the U Connect 8.4 system. I do know that they have contracted with Garmin for the logistics for the navigation. Problem is, even though an RV app can be purchased for the Garmin GPS's units, it is not available on the Ram trucks. As the 8.4 has a 8" screen and also displays the immediate route on the instrument panel, I feel that the owners are getting a bad deal in not being able to down load the existing RV app on our vehicle navigation system. Anyone, what does your Ford or GM have and can you get RV navigation on your systems. The purpose for many of us getting the larger trucks is to be able to tow RV's and not having access, (wouldn't mind paying for the app if available) to the navigation apps and having to "stick another GPS unit on the dash" is a "Bummer"!! What are your thoughts and or options on your truck?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2015, 02:42 PM   #2

I just hope the GPS is better than the one we have in our 2012 Dodge dually. It is pathetic. It would be nice if we could get an EV download.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:35 PM   #3

The Nav program on your Ram isn't working for you?
Our 2015 Ram 3500 has the 8.4, and U connect and it works great. I've used it about 20 times already. This is our 1st truck with nav, and I like it better than using my phone.
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:48 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i would imagine its a ram proprietary system and even though its garmin based...they have contracted with ram to install theses special units software in the trucks or other brand specific vehicles. their licensing agreements most likely prohibit cross polenization
i would say installing the rv Garmin software in the ram is not going to be allowed with ease ,
i have the garmin rv unit and its pretty good
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:31 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ya, I suppose i'm fighting a loosing battle. Still, just makes me mad that an RV app isn't available. As for the regular GPS, it works ok. Not as good as little hand held Garmin. If you decide to change direction, it doesn't want to calculate new directions like the Garmin. Says "U Turn" at every expansion crack on the hi way. lol Also, don't like the feature that unless giving "verbal" commands, wont allow my companion to re set the program unless stopped. Can see the safety aspect for that though. Again, sure would think that an RV app should be offered as many of us use these large Rams for traveling towing the larger RV's.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:04 AM   #6

Our nav system on our 2012 Dodge is not nearly as good as any of the portable units. At least a portable Garmin will tell you which lane one needs to be in.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:40 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I suspect you have the same unit we have in our '12 Jeep. I'd not have ordered a vehicle with in dash nav, but it came with it.

It has sucked since day one. It was immediately out of date and wasting $163 last summer to update it before our big out west trip did nothing to fix that or its efficiency.

Bite the bullet, accept that what it came with is nothing more than an expensive profit enhancer and move on. Buy one of the much more functional and lifetime updatable portable units.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:45 PM   #8
doc

Appalachian Campers
Likely is the GPS. I have a 13 Wrangler Unlimited. When I have to be sure of where I am going, I program the portable Garmin. I will get messages on the Jeep unit that basically says 'entering area with no information". The Garmin takes me right on through the area and never hesitates. The only reason I have it is because it came with the Jeep. Garmin is head and shoulders above the Jeep in information and dependability
Old 03-21-2015, 07:24 AM   #9

The Nav in my 2015 Ram seems to work great for is do far. Lots of info, and has got us to our destination perfectly. I like the instrument cluster display. It shows which lane you need to be in, during multi lane situations. Shows the roads speed limit and all other pertinent information. I'm sure it isn't as good as an after market one, but I don't really want anything else to look at while driving. The Rams instrument panel, the nav/radio 8.4 display, plus our aftermarket TPMS disply. That's enough for me.

It would be nice however if your navigator could program a new destination while the vehicle is in motion.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:55 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer3025 View Post

It would be nice however if your navigator could program a new destination while the vehicle is in motion.

OMG!!!! Don't you realize how incredibly dangerous that would be?? Cars veering from lane to lane, pickup trucks with fivers scraping along the guard rail, motorhomes falling off the edge of the earth, cats and dogs living together-- mass hysteria!!! We can't allow that! Boy, it's a good thing we have the Federal bureaucrats protecting us from our own stupidity!!
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:47 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The 8.4 can be redirected when moving but you must do it "verbal". Sometimes "Mom" finds it hard to understand my commands. lol Maybe I need to talk nicer to her. lol
Old 03-22-2015, 03:19 PM   #12

^^^^^ nice to l know.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:34 PM   #13

We had 2013 caddy sex and the gps system was barely acceptable (to us). The COnnect in our 2014 RAM is a whole different story. It is exceptional quick and accurate. The voice recognition system works too
Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:12 PM   #14

I gotta put that on my bucket list ;-)