Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV CAMPING FORUMS > Crossroads - About Traveling
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV or Toad on Highway 26 from I-15 Idaho Falls to Jackson Wy??

We are headed to Yellowstone via I-15 and we want to take a detour to see the Grand Tetons. We would like to stay somewhere along Highway 26 to get a little closer to Jackson-WY with the RV but we are uncertain about the driving difficulty along Highway 26. Has anyone doe this route? Any suggestions about the roads or places to stay??

Also, how is the drive from the Grand Tetons to W. Yellostone via the south entrance of Yellowstone. We definitely want to avoid any "cliff-hanger" or switchback roads with the RV. I am terrified of those roads I've seen where there's no guard rail or extreme heights. Has anyone done this road? Are we better off back tracking it to Idaho Falls and heading up I-15, or should we just go for the south entrance of Yellowstone. Help!!

Thanks very much!!

TangoDancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #2

US Hwy 26 is a breeze from my perspective. And, the south entrance from the Grand Tetons into Yellowstone is also quite easy.

If you're coming from CA, then I'd recommend a quick little stay at Craters of the Moon Nat'l Monument on your way to Jackson. It's unlike anything you've ever seen in the lower 48 and definitely worth the stop.

Have fun!

Old 09-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #3

As you can see from my signature we live in Idaho Falls. Hwy #26 from If to Jackson is a piece of cake! A little twisty along Palisades Reservoir (what lake shore is straight?) and then again along the Snake River between Alpine, Wy and Hoback Junction but EASY driving. Between Alpine and Hoback look for river rafts and Kayaks along the Snake River, there are parking/launching areas to stop at for a better view. What you DON’T want to do is drive WY 22/ID 33 from Wilson, WY (just west of Jackson) to Victor, ID with the MoHo, drive it with the toad. It is 10% up/down for about 5 miles each side of the Teton Pass (el 8429 ft) and a beautiful view of the lower end of Jackson Hole from the top.
The road from Jackson to the South entrance of Y’stone is also a piece of cake. From West Thumb to Old Faithful you will cross the continental divide twice but no problem with my Dodge Cummins and 32” 5w.
If you have time when in Jackson be sure to go to the Bar J chuck wagon dinner show. That will be the best $22 you will ever spend when on vacation. We have seen them 4 times this summer, which is about normal for us! Be sure to get reservations and get there early to get a table toward the front. There is a Old Timers Fiddle contest in Weiser, ID every summer, fiddlers come from all 50 states and some foreign countries, Tim the Bar j fiddler has won the Idaho State fiddle championship 6 times and the US open championship twice!
If you need any other information PM me!
http://www.barjchuckwagon.com/
1998 Hitchhiker ll, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator
richardcoxid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #4

I guess that I should mention a disclaimer for my post above about the Bar J. I have no financial or other interest in the Bar J! Only that it is the BEST $ value.
1998 Hitchhiker ll, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator
richardcoxid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad