Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #1
Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Planning

We're new to motor homing and would like to plan our first trip of about a month to the Northwest. Does anyone have any feedback on the use of RV Trip Wizard? If not, I'd appreciate getting a recommendation on how to best plan an extended RV trip. Thanks. Bill

PapaBigGuy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2015, 01:54 PM   #2
Get a good road atlas. Study the states you want to drive through for areas to see. Do you want some national parks? State parks? Travel the secondary highways? Just stay on interstates?

When you get your route set, go to RVParkReviews.com and look up some RV parks in the nearest town that you're visiting. If you do national or state parks, find their website for information.

Have fun planning!

Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
As they say, planning is half the fun! Thanks.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #4
Damon Owners Club
Join Family Motor Coach Association,

FMCA is for motor coach and motorhome owners. Motorcoach articles, motor home blogs, motor coach advice and motorhome videos.

They offer for sale an excellent Atlas to help trip planning.

X2 on RvParkReview.com they are the only unbiased
source for the opinions of those who have stayed at a
particular campground. You must, however, read the
actual review, for example some folks will down grade a
campground cause there are too many trees to get satellite
reception, or a myriad of unusual reasons to like or not like
a particular place. Do your research, make advance reservations,
and you will have a lot of fun.
macandphyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #5
Originally Posted by PapaBigGuy1 View Post
As they say, planning is half the fun! Thanks.
We have never pre-planed our travels...we just go, (no reservations, stopping when and where we want and seeing anything that looks interesting along the way).
Are we are only enjoying half of RV travel?
'96 Safari 141k miles, (mine since '01)
mel s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
Hi PapaBigGuy1,
Welcome to iRV2. At PFJ stations there is the road carriers atlas. Get the one with large print and laminated pages. It has oversize pages, large print and a bunch of other good information. Spiral bound. It will last for years.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:31 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
There is phone app called RV Parky that is great. I shows all of the RV Parks, Campgrounds and Walmart on your intended route. Great app as is the Good Sams app.RV Parky | RV Parks & Campgrounds Directory, Reviews, Photos
Chuck in SW FL
A "Classic" 2014 Entegra Anthem 42RBQ
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:47 PM   #8
There is planning and planning. Some folks have every night on the road logged and reserved. Some think about it at their picked time as in early afternoon. The rest of us are somewhere in between.

I usually start with Google Maps and search for three things. I do a search for a route from here to there then modify if I want something different. Then I search for tourist attractions on the map and look at anything that pops up along my route. After that I search for Camping and pick the map. I check the reviews of any place that looks like I might want to stop there. I also check Passport America. I keep lists and choose as I go unless there is a destination I have to be at. That way we can move as we feel like it while avoiding a lot of hassle. We also include Walmarts as possible stops depending on what kind of day we are planning.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:42 PM   #9
RV Trip Planning

Well we always know our start & end point. (Home). Past that we know where our farthest point is. (Generally)

We just look at the atlas and pull up "things to do" in whatever area we are in. Lot of times just talking to other campers & travelers we find neat places to stop.

If we have been that way before we will try to take a different route.

Or as you have done here just post a question here. Actually post a question on this camping page with an area or town and you will get responses as to things to do. Can even pull up "search" type in key words and get plenty of info.

ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:03 PM   #10
Papa, we use almost all of the products recommended by previous posters. I think there is one thing that you will soon see. Not one of these products does everything you need in trip planning.
RVTRIPWIZARD does one thing exceptionally well, it lets you lay out your entire trip, letting you choose your route and waypoints. As it uses Google maps you can switch to the satellite view to get a better perspective of your travels.
RVPARKY is the next most complete planner, it has the advantage of listing points of interest around your stops, rvparky also solicits user reviews of the parks you stay in, making it easier to look at reviews. When I plan I bounce between a calendar, rvtripwizard, rvparky and rvparkreviews. Needless to say my DW runs when she sees I am trip planinng😁
Steve Pinn
2008 Newmar Essex-4514
2014 Ram Laramie ecodiesel
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:46 PM   #11
I use Microsoft Street and Trips on my Mac to plan the entire trip. It lets you set how many miles or hours you want to travel each day, then searches for campgrounds around the stopping point. It will also search for restaurants, fuel stops, points of interest etc. it is upgraded yearly.
Larry and Cherry

2013 Newmar Ventana 4346
msy4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:09 PM   #12
Originally Posted by msy4us View Post
I use Microsoft Street and Trips on my Mac to plan the entire trip. It lets you set how many miles or hours you want to travel each day, then searches for campgrounds around the stopping point. It will also search for restaurants, fuel stops, points of interest etc. it is upgraded yearly.
I use MS S&T too but unfortunately, it's no longer supported by Microsoft and will no longer be updated. I use Google Maps and the satellite view to check out potential stops. I don't like to plan the entire trip with Google Maps because one can only add 10 stops to one map.

I also use a publication titled "Next Exit" to help find fuel and other necessary stops. "Next Exit" is invaluable IMO!
Karen & Gary
Glamping is not for the faint of heart!
with furkids Gypsy & Cody &
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:41 AM   #13
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Trip Planning

I purchased a Good Sam GPS RVND 7730 to use with GS trip planner. I can spend hours of enjoyment looking and planning stops and interesting sites to see as well as researching private RV parks, public RV Parks and state and national parks along the way. After making all your plans you download your trip from your computer right into the GPS with all your stops, waypoints, fuel stops with an estimate of fuel costs. The other advantage is it will let you know, based on your input of your RV height and weight, of any possible obstacles or low clearances along your route. If there is a tunnel you will be passing through it alerts you to the LP restriction. Even the GPS does not catch everything but it certainly will help alleviate some of the headaches maps don't catch. Then, if your life is like mine after you spend a couple weeks planning and you are on the road for half a day DW says "Let's go over on this road. There's something I want to see!" Your well thought out, completely researched and awesome plans you made are now in the toilet! Lol! Everyone's comments on how they plan trips are all the same ones I use along with the GS Tripmaker. BTW if you are going to the NW part of the U.S. There is a great RV service and repair company called Brazel's RV and performance in Centralia Washington. I had the pleasure of needing and using them last year. Unplanned! Enjoy the whole trip planning as well as the trip.

One that I use that I have found very handy if I'm on a schedule is this http://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-can-i-travel.htm . It allows you to pick either time or speed to calculate how far you get. Handy for fuel limits as well.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD, Roadmaster Chassis, 8.3 Cummins, 2013 Honda CRV with a Roadmaster Sterling tow bar and SMI brake system
Alan Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:09 PM   #14
Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the great tips Alan.
Even during my short tenure as a RVer, I've already had the DW experience! 😀

trip wizard