Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:09 AM   #29
I don't necessarily want to see Chicken, I want to see the scenery from Whitehorse and when I head home to Arizona on another route I will be seeing something different. I will be coming up through Montana and going home through Washington and down the Oregon coast to San Francisco then maybe across to Arizona. That's the plan, but you know RVers all that may change. Bruce H

2004 Newmar/Scottsdale, W22, Toad/2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4X4 Auto Trans, US Gear Brake System, Blue OX Tow Bar, Garmin 1450 MT GPS. RVing Since 1989. Life Is Good!!!
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #30
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
T-Kent thanx...

Didn't realize 40k pound coach's traveled the TOW. So my little 5k tt will do OK.

I'll have to play it by the weather. Would like to do it either coming ( early June) or going (late Aug.) My parents did it in 03' with a caravan and said there was a lot of mud between Chix and Dawson, but very do-able. Are there areas where the road is too narrow? I notice that RV in the ditch seems to be at a spot where the road is kind of narrow looking.

Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:40 PM   #31
Tour buses and semi trucks drive TOW. They seem to manage just fine. As to your parents doing the drive in 2003 with a caravan, that mud will have probably dried by now. Seriously, many, many RVers drive it. Just be wary of previous days of non-ending rain. That's the only time we wouldn't drive it. Then you'll have to take the long way around. Road crews are on that road every year so it changes from day to day. That's why it's a good idea not to make concrete plans. They can change daily..just play it by ear. It's more enjoyable that way.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #32
Shouldn't be a problem if you take it slow down a bit and enjoy the trip.

Took this road on Harley Touring bikes a few years ago with a buddy. We certainly weren't travelling all that slow but we did stop to enjoy some of the scenery. We left Whitehorse about 9am after a morning coffee, stopped at Twin Lakes (I think) for the largest cinnamon bun I have seen in my life and on to Dawson where we spent about 3 hours looking around. We were going to have a sour toe cocktail, but they wouldn't serve one before 8pm. So at around 4pm we took the ferry and headed towards Chicken. Locals told us it was originally named Ptarmigan but when asked to spell it for the new Post Office they decided Chicken was easier. We carried on back towards Haines Junction, and finally stopped in Destruction bay after we lost our light around midnight. We grabbed a room and headed for Whitehorse in the morning. I hope to recreate the trip someday, but leave earlier from Whitehorse and do the same route, arriving back in Whitehorse on the same day. Crazy, I know.

Anyway, we passed lots of trucks, RV's etc on the way. I also plan to take my dear wife and the motorhome to do TOW highway, but plan on lots of stops.

Do stop and get a passport stamp at Poker Creek Border crossing, probably the coolest one I ever got
2008 Travel Supreme Insignia, hydralift
2011 Jeep Wrangler, M&G Braking
2012 H-D FLTRX
wydeglyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #33
We camped in TOK and drove the car to Chicken. It was a great day trip. BTW, we saw a MH that drove off the road down an embankment. Luckily no one was hurt. The MH was totaled.

99 Country Coach
Prevost XL 45 Conversion
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote