RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2019, 09:44 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV'ing The "OLD ROUTE 66"

Another RV friend & I were talking about "Route 66" from back in the old days! You know, the old TV show, with Corvette, guys, girls, & adventures!
It got us to thinking......

I'm sure a few, maybe many of you have traveled the "RT. 66" route!

If so, what was the experience like? What recommendations? Length of time? Places to see, things to do? Actual road conditions? Whatever you think would help to make it a fun trip!

We are seriously considering taking the "DW's" and making the trek along the old Route!

And Thanks a lot for helping two ol timers...."turn back the clock"!

Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2019, 09:53 AM   #2

Quite a popular route: https://www.google.com/search?client...ng+on+route+66
We've been on pieces of it in NM and AZ

Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:27 AM   #3

We did most of the old 66 two years ago. We started in St. Louis, and went all the way to California. The most intact parts are in New Mexico, and Arizona. A few Youtubes I found were Justin Scarred, , and Roamin Rich.https://www.youtube.com/user/HookedOnRoute66. I put lots of videos on my channel as well, but mine aren't as professional as the others. I mostly put them on so the kids can follow me. Cheers.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:41 AM   #4

I like that complete stop at the beginning of the Pony bridge video.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #5

We were about 30,000 lbs in a 40 ft rv pulling a toad. 15 tons was the max. Pretty close. A tag would be over.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:47 PM   #6

We were just in Arizona visiting the Painted Desert/ Petrified Forrest which has some of the old Route 66 in its boundaries. We also visited Holbrook, home of the famous Tee-Pee Motel. Sorry, not as “romantic” or nostalgic as you might wish.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:37 PM   #7

The painted desert, and the petrified forest are pretty neat. The Barringer crater is close to there as well. Don't forget to go to Winslow Arizona and stand on the corner.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:44 AM   #8

Truth be told, there isn't much of the old route left. Some of the existing sections are interesting to visit but overall we were very disappointed. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:36 PM   #9

Sitgreaves pass, going to Oatman Arizona, is neat to see the old school way of road building. No guard rails, switchbacks. Not recommended for rvs. Maybe a B class or small C. You can drive to Oatman from the west in an rv, but not from the east. Near Peach Springs, there is a road that you can drive to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, if you have a tow vehicle with decent clearance. It is on indian land, and they charge a small fee. They take all the rafts from the Grand Canyon tours out this road. It is called the Diamond Creek Road. Route 66 isn't Disney Land for sure. You have to like history, and old bridges, and be a bit nostalgic to appreciate it. If you are driving that way anyway, it adds some flavour to it. We were going to the Grand Canyon area from Ontario, so it was right on our route. Most of the intact part of route 66 is around the Grand Canyon area, so it makes for a little better trip to the Canyon to add in a bit of route 66. We enjoyed seeing some of the old bridges along the way. We walked the Chain of rocks bridge near St. Louis. We drove over the Pony Bridge in Oklahoma, and many other old bridges that were marvels when they were first built. Many of these were built in the depression era.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Good for you, your friend and your wives - you'll all have a wonderful adventure! Two years ago, we traveled portions of Historic Route 66 on our cross country trip to the National Parks on the west coast. We had our then 18 year old daughter with us, and she enjoyed that part of the trip, too.

It was a bittersweet experience because so many of the towns along Route 66 suffered economically (and never recovered) once the Interstates drew business away from them but, still, we enjoyed traveling the historic road and visiting so many memorable places.

I would suggest picking up a Route 66 guidebook to help you decide what to see along the way. I borrowed three guidebooks through my local library system, and found them very helpful for planning our stops.

These are the sights we enjoyed the most . . . "Standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona," the Conoco Station (U-Drop Inn) in Shamrock, Texas, the Blue Whale in Catoosa, Oklahoma, Pops in Arcadia, Oklahoma, the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook, Arizona, and the Blue Swallow Motel in Tucumcari, New Mexico. A lot of people like Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo, Texas, but it wasn't one of our favorites. We were very sorry to have missed the Snow Cap Drive-In in Seligman, Arizona, and the "musical" portion of Route 66 outside of Albuquerque, New Mexico.

In keeping with the Route 66 theme, we overnighted at the Enchanted Trails RV Park in Albuquerque - it was an excellent stop!

I wish you all tons of fun and safe travels on your journey - enjoy the planning, too!

Mary
www.reflectionsaroundthecampfire.blogspot.com
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:59 PM   #11

Add Williams, AZ on old Route 66 your list. We just spent a week at the Grand Canyon Railway RV park in Williams and it was a great base for hitting the South Rim and many other area National Monuments and attractions. Lots of Route 66 themed shops and restaurants, classic cars, trains and neon. Passport America rates, too. +1 on Enchanted Trails RV Park in Albuquerque, Cadillac Ranch was a waste of time, Tinkertown on the Turquoise Hwy to Santa Fe is amazing.
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:26 PM   #12

We went from Nashville, TN to Las Vegas in October 2017. The most intact parts of RTE 66 are in AZ and NM, but at lot of it is just the local access road that parallels I-40. We noticed many places where the old road just dead ended or was just a farm road in not great shape. In many parts of NM & AZ it passes thru indian reservations.
Mr.Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:09 PM   #13

Last year we traveled parts of the route in Oklahoma. We camped near by and did road trips in our road. Some great museums west of OK City and still some of the old landmarks are still around. Several good books and state specific maps are available.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
We did most of the old 66 two years ago. We started in St. Louis, and went all the way to California. The most intact parts are in New Mexico, and Arizona. A few Youtubes I found were Justin Scarred, , and Roamin Rich.https://www.youtube.com/user/HookedOnRoute66. I put lots of videos on my channel as well, but mine aren't as professional as the others. I mostly put them on so the kids can follow me. Cheers.
I must have closed my eyes, even though we were in the car I didn't recall it being that long.

Charming is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route, rving