Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2010, 07:11 AM   #1

Smile RVing to Newfoundland

We are planning a road trip to NFLD in a 40 ft RV from Toronto, travelling via Quebec to Labrador, then across via ferry to St Barb NF.,

We would appreciate any information from anyone who has done this, fuel stops, rest areas and parks etc.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2010, 07:19 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Mr. V:

Hi. I've always been interested in the route you are thinking about, but, I sure didn't think it was possible!! I think ya pretty much run out of road at Havre St.-Pierre or Natashquan, (Rt. #138) and then, it looks like a number of ferry hops in order to get up to a ferry across to St. Barbe, NF!

Now, I don't know first hand what I'm talking about, but hopefully someone who knows the region will respond.

We too plan on spending summer up on "The Rock" (Newfoundland), but will approach it from Sidney, NS.

If ya do find a way along the route you described would you PLEASE let us know. I think it would be a GRAND trip to make. Thanks.

Steve & Lynette
Old 05-17-2010, 07:50 AM   #3

We spent a summer in the Maritimes including 22 days in Newfoundland and we certainly want to return. But we went from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland on the ferry and came back the same way.

While in Newfoundland we stored the motorhome in St. Barbe and took the Honda CR-V on the ferry to Labrador and stayed in a cabin up there. I had thought maybe, just maybe, I would drive the motorhome up that route to Quebec and then to Toronto, then my wife and my better senses took over and we took the ferry back to Nova Scotia.

I have always thought that was a missed opportunity and have wished I had driven the route in the motorhome. If you make that trip please post about the adventure.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:20 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Norm4015:

Ya mean ya can ACTUALLY drive from Labrador SE along the N. shore of the St. Lawrence to Quebec City!!???? I was beginning to think there were no road connections, gravel or otherwise, from Lab. to Quebec. Hmmmmm.

Steve & Lynette
Old 05-19-2010, 10:58 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Mr V;

I have not been up there yet , but am planning on a trip this year. My suggestion for you is to go to the RV.net site and access the Alaska and Canada forum. A regular contributer to that forum is a guy named Little Kopit. He is a wealth of information concerning the maritimes and Atlantic Canada. I have learned a lot, just reading his numerous posts. Hope this helps.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:04 PM   #6

Acually, you can drive from Quebec city all the way to Goose bay, past Labrador city. You can then take a ferry to Cartwright and then drive all the way to Blanc-Sablon in Quebec. From there, it's a short ferry to the Newfoundland Island.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Québec to Blanc-Sablon.pdf (133.4 KB, 104 views)
RickCanada is offline   Reply With Quote