Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2019, 08:45 AM   #1

Salisbury Maryland to Monument Colorado

I want to travel to Monument Colorado in September. I am hoping someone can tell me what routes work best. I understand route 70 would work but I hear it is poorly paved and the truckers are mean.

I can take my time and I would like to see some of the mid west. I hear that there is a camp ground in (I think) Indiana with a Christmas theme that is fun to visit and a nice place to take a break.

Also after leaving Colorado I want to go to New Mexico. Can anyone tell me where good campgrounds are and how best to see both Albuquerque and Santa Fe.

Finally I am using good sam for plotting the route and while it works it is very challenging to change the route. Any suggestions
JAbygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2019, 12:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAbygo View Post
I want to travel to Monument Colorado in September.

Great time to be in Colorado - try to make it before say the 18th or so and catch the Aspen in the high Mountain Passes - they are Spectacular - https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colo...pens/i-tsVRkXg - Is monument the end or just a place picked off the Map?

I am hoping someone can tell me what routes work best.

Here is a Map that I'd suggest - MAP - https://binged.it/31MkYqu - takes you across the Bay Bridge to Frederick - on to Morgantown - then to Washington, PA across the rough roads in Ohio and Illinois and Indiana - up to Champlain then over to Hannibal - across RT 36 - Great road with a lot less traffic ad just more fun than the I's. Out in Kansas a diagonal to I-70 then on across to Monument. Think you will enjoy this choice, and Bing Maps is easy to navigate in.

I understand route 70 would work but I hear it is poorly paved and the truckers are mean.

Yup, but the truckers are not mean they are just trying to get their work done with many RV'ers in the way - RT 36 helps alleviate the issue, and the road has just been better.

I can take my time and I would like to see some of the midwest.

Sorry - JMHO - but the Corn and the Soybeans look the same as they do in Salisbury/Berlin area so we usually just press to get to the Rockies then meander longer where the rocks are.

I hear that there is a campground in (I think) Indiana with a Christmas theme that is fun to visit and a nice place to take a break.

Sorry no help on that - as i mentioned we just roll on through the areas - sorry no help.

Also after leaving Colorado I want to go to New Mexico.

Lot's to do and see in Colorado for September and October - then New Mexico can open up but most of the fun spots are still elevated so weather will come into play. Look into the State parks as they are beautiful and a good Bargain. Keep in mind in your plans the Balloon Festival in Albuquerque, as things will be really crowded. This could also be a Great time to look into Utah, just for future plans.

Can anyone tell me where good campgrounds are and how best to see both Albuquerque and Santa Fe.

I'm not much on CG recommendations, but sure others might chime in.

Finally I am using good sam for plotting the route and while it works it is very challenging to change the route.

Try the Bing Map that I used it is simple and has worked well for me.

Any suggestions
If I can be of further help feel free to PM me as we are in Grasonville, MD now and have been making this trip for the last 20 years, and will be glad to just talk if you want.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:25 AM   #3

Trip to Colorado

Thanks for the tips. I will review them and try to set up the route. Its always helpful to hear from those that have driven it in the past and I am always learning from you all. Thanks again
JAbygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:50 AM   #4

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
In Santa Fe we used Santa Fe Skies RV park on the south side of Hwy 25. It is quiet and on a hill south of the interstate. Big enough to handle most rigs and a safe neighborhood. In Albuquerque we stay in the KOA on the east side of town. It too is fairly quiet and secured.

If you haven't been to either city I would suggest you be cautious about the surroundings. Homelessness, crime, and just bad people have migrated to these two cities. The countryside and sites are a must see but take care in the city.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:37 AM   #5

Santa Fe crime rate is low compared to other cities of comparable size. We walked or took the public bus all over the downtown/historic area. It's a wonderful city!!

https://www.cityrating.com/crime-sta.../santa-fe.html

As with all cities just use common sense.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado