Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2016, 11:38 AM   #1
MPH

Salt Lake City to Grand Tetons in 40' moho?

I'm not sure about the best route to get to Grand Teton Nat'l Park from Salt Lake City. We have a 40' coach, towing a Honda Fit. Total length, counting tow bar, is around 57'.

I read somewhere that going east on I-80 over to Hwy 189 then north to Jackson isn't the best. Someone wrote that going north on I-15, then east on Hwy 26 is best.

I'd like to hear about these routes from anyone who has a big rig and tows a dinghy who has actually driven one or both routes.

Thanks in advance!

Melanie
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2016, 12:35 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have traveled both numerous times. I prefer going east on I80 then north on 89 at Evanston, Wy. to Alpine Junction then over to Jackson.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:43 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
We have traveled both numerous times. I prefer going east on I80 then north on 89 at Evanston, Wy. to Alpine Junction then over to Jackson.
X10.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:58 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Avoid Hwy 26. I did it last summer and wound up on gravel roads for about 15 miles.
Rt 189 is a stroll in the country. We did that on the way from Jackson to Cheyenne via Ft. Bridger. We have a 43' plus a Jeep GC and felt comfortable on the road. Plus we had some great vistas along the way.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Avoid Hwy 26. I did it last summer and wound up on gravel roads for about 15 miles.
Huh? Why was that? If it was construction it's finished by now. It's a beautiful drive.

We also have done both routes with our 40' towing the Jeep with no issues. It just depended where we were coming from as to which route to take. With you, you have a choice between the two.

Have a great trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:48 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If the road was under construction there was no evidence of it. Plus it looked old, not like they had been working on it.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:39 PM   #7

If you take 26 From Alpine to Hobak junction you will see rafters floating the Snake River. (quite a few marked turnouts)

Just don't even think about going over Teton pass from Victor, ID to Wilson, (Jackson, WY). It is 10% grade both sides for about 5 miles with a couple of 25 mph turns, "OK" for your toad.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:44 PM   #8

Quote:
If the road was under construction there was no evidence of it. Plus it looked old, not like they had been working on it.
you might want to check your gps . we were over it in the 1st week of june last year and the road was fine .
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:44 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
We were over it the third week of July and it was not ok.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:50 PM   #10

Quote:
You must have been on a different 26. The road definitely is not gravel and if there was no evidence of construction.......

Can you recall a couple towns you passed through? Just trying to figure out where this was.

The OP's question was I-15 to Idaho Falls, ID then 26 into Alpine/Hoback Junction, and north into Jackson.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote