Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2017, 03:20 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Salt Lake to West Yellowstone

planning on a West Yellowstone trip on May 18 and want to stop in Jackson for a couple days. Was just wondering how 89 is to Jackson with a 40' MH and toad. Any advise is appreciated.
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2017, 03:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterbob View Post
planning on a West Yellowstone trip on May 18 and want to
stop in Jackson for a couple days.
Was just wondering how 89 is to Jackson with a 40' MH and toad.
Any advise is appreciated.
Easy Peazy.

RV's cone in that way all the time.

Cam - See Jackson Town Square South-West Live Video Webcam

Grass looks green and the mountains still have a little snow should be great.

Lucky Man!

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:22 PM   #3

There are a few grades between Kemmerer and the Star Valley, however it's a fast road and very scenic.
FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:04 PM   #4

Very nice, scenic road for big rigs. Good fueling with big rig access would be in Thayne or Alpine before getting into Jackson.

Jackson's RV parks are expensive and not much to look at. Instead, I'd suggest going into Grand Teton and staying at one of the non-reservable campgrounds. Each has 300 sites and you'll definitely get a site. Gros Ventre would be my first choice if you wanted to do things in Jackson. It's the closest and to us, has the best mountain views. It even has about 20 electric sites that you have to ask for personally. They won't offer them to you. The other campground is further north toward Yellowstone - Colter Bay. It's next to Colter Bay RV and you might even get a site there without reservations at this early date.

Check the park website to see the opening date of the south entrance road of Yellowstone going from Grand Teton into Yellowstone. It would be the best way to get to West Yellowstone and it's a nice drive.

Here's the park's site with lots of good information including road openings. Also look at the 'Special Alerts' for construction/road issues. I see the south entrance is scheduled to be opened the second Friday of May. Somewhere on that site are also cam Webcam videos set up in different areas of the park so you can see the weather and also look at Old Faithful.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/parkroads.htm

Here's Grand Teton's web site: https://www.nps.gov/grte/index.htm
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:54 PM   #5

Oh, wait a minute...you only said 89, which makes it unclear. All roads to Jackson utilize US-89 as you have to pick it up at some point, the question is where. Sorry, I responded without having a map in front of me.

I assumed that you were talking about getting to US-89 via US-189 through Kemmerer and US-30, but rethinking this that may not be the case. Just in case you're talking about taking US-89 starting from I-15 at Brigham City there are a few things to know. FYI, on US-89 Logan Canyon, which runs from Logan to Bear Lake at Garden City, is tight, twisty and has a large climb (and descent) just west of Bear Lake. Logan Canyon is slow going. Just east of Brigham City, Sardine Canyon is also a large climb, although at that point US-89 is a wide, fast road that connects the Salt Lake Valley to Cache Valley. One redeeming quality of this route -- despite the lousy road through Logan Canyon -- is that Bear Lake is spectacularly beautiful for a stopover. Its mineral content creates turquoise water that has prompted many visual comparisons to the Caribbean. Renedezvous Beach is a huge state park campground located waterfront at the south end of the lake with full hookups.

Personally I'd go I-80 to Evanston, then north on WY-89 (crosses back into UT and becomes UT-16), then east on UT-30 (which becomes WY-89 as you cross back into Wyoming) to US-30. North on US-30, then turn right onto WY-89 at the state line to pick up US-89 N at Geneva (yeah, lots of 30's and 89's there, hence my addition of the designation for each). If you go that way there's also a Flying J along the way in Cokeville for a fuel stop well after you've left the numerous truck stops of Evanston in the rear-view mirror. The Star Valley (Afton to Thayne) also has all manner of services. Despite all of those route number changes it's pretty much a straight northward shot from Evanston to Jackson. Don't let all of those route number changes fool you.

Another good alternative would be to take I-15 N from SLC to Idaho Falls, then east on US-26 to US-89 in Alpine Jct. By going to Alpine instead of through Victor to Jackson you avoid one minor pass and the major Teton Pass. It's slightly longer but a much easier drive to follow the Snake River than head through Victor and over Teton Pass. If I'm not towing this route is quicker than going through Evanston, but YMMV depending on how fast you're willing to drive with a motorhome and a toad in tow.

One of my favorite places to camp near Jackson is the Crystal Creek Campground in the Gros Ventre Mountains of Bridger-Teton National Forest northeast of town. I've got photos from our visit here: http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boa...=11049&p=69523 . It's close to town, yet miles away from everyone else along the bubbling waters of the Gros Ventre River. Another spectacularly beautiful choice, but much farther away from town is Granite Creek northeast of Hoback Jct., but that campsite comes with a bonus on-site waterfall and hot spring pool. ;-) Photos from our visit to Granite Creek are here: http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boa...t=6906&p=35941 . Both are Forest Service primitive campgrounds, there are no hookups at either, and the roads to reach each are graded gravel.

Feel free to backchannel me if you need anything -- I'm in the neighborhood.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:47 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thanks for that Fasttracks will check it out on the map tomorrow thanks again
Old 05-01-2017, 09:19 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Salt Lake to West Yellowstone

Great information FirstTracks. We will be headed up that same way in June. Was looking at the I-15 route but may go ahead and cut over on I-80 then up.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:21 PM   #8

Glad to help, guys.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:58 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTracks View Post
Personally I'd go I-80 to Evanston, then north on WY-89 (crosses back into UT and becomes UT-16), then east on UT-30 (which becomes WY-89 as you cross back into Wyoming) to US-30. North on US-30, then turn right onto WY-89 at the state line to pick up US-89 N at Geneva (yeah, lots of 30's and 89's there, hence my addition of the designation for each). If you go that way there's also a Flying J along the way in Cokeville for a fuel stop well after you've left the numerous truck stops of Evanston in the rear-view mirror. The Star Valley (Afton to Thayne) also has all manner of services. Despite all of those route number changes it's pretty much a straight northward shot from Evanston to Jackson. Don't let all of those route number changes fool you.
After checking my trip planner and looking at maps I have decided to try this route.
Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterbob View Post
After checking my trip planner and looking at maps I have decided to try this route.
Thanks everyone for the input.
Enjoy, Bob. It starts out rather desolate north of Evanston but gets prettier and prettier as you go. And if you still want to see Bear Lake it's only a small detour from this route as well (go west on UT-30 to Laketown instead of turning east).
Old 05-02-2017, 06:13 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
👍👍thanks
Old 05-02-2017, 06:14 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thanks
Old 05-03-2017, 10:26 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTracks View Post
Enjoy, Bob. It starts out rather desolate north of Evanston but gets prettier and prettier as you go. And if you still want to see Bear Lake it's only a small detour from this route as well (go west on UT-30 to Laketown instead of turning east).