Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2014, 11:57 AM   #1

San Diego to Kamp Klamath, ca

Planning trip to northern Ca coast near the mouth of the Klamath River. I've heard the 101 north of San Francisco is hairpin turns. Would Ca 44/299 from I5 be any better? I would appreciate any insight as I'm traveling in a 35' class A towing my car and am not looking to prove how great a driver (or stupid) I may be.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2014, 12:20 PM   #2

101 north of SF is almost all freeway. The parts that aren't are fine for a MH and toad. CA 1 is the one to avoid.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:23 PM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Made the trip in a 40' with toad. Took the freeway out of San Diego and then picked up 101 in LA. I had no problem.

Now if you want a twisty ride, as we took, take US-199 out of Junction City up to I-5. Your passenger will be screaming at you when they are looking straight down at tree tops, but I did that in the 40' with toad also.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #4

101 all the way. It's a little twisty towards the end near Klamath. I do it every year with 40 mh and toad.

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:43 PM   #5

Another vote for 101. I think you're confusing it with Hwy 1, which is very curvy. You're in for a beautiful ride!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:53 PM   #6

Thank you everyone! I've been on the 101 from SD to Pismo Beach bt no further north. Not looking for the twisties! My dog already hates riding in RV........forgot to secure sliding door to bedroom one time. Dog didn't like that. Now she hides when on the road.

Two travelers have told me to beware of 101 north of San Francisco. Said there were switch backs. Will have to find out if they somehow got confused with the CA1?

Wayne M........did you mean the 299 out of Junction City?
Old 05-17-2014, 04:00 PM   #7

Yes, they were referring to Hwy 1. Hwy 101 is big rig friendly. Just make sure you don't get onto Hwy 1. Hopefully you have planned to camp on the river, you'll like that.

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:17 PM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlutterBy View Post
Thank you everyone! I've been on the 101 from SD to Pismo Beach bt no further north. Not looking for the twisties! My dog already hates riding in RV........forgot to secure sliding door to bedroom one time. Dog didn't like that. Now she hides when on the road.

Two travelers have told me to beware of 101 north of San Francisco. Said there were switch backs. Will have to find out if they somehow got confused with the CA1?

Wayne M........did you mean the 299 out of Junction City?
Oh heck! I was wron.....nah, just mistaken. US-199 out of Crescent City, CA

p.s., we stayed in Chinook RV park, all the way down on the right hand side as you go in and the last spot on the end. Grassy pads but that site was great. Riverside RV was right next to it and I'm glad we stayed at Chinook. It was Passport America when we stayed, don't know if it still is

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote