Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2009, 01:02 PM   #1

San Diego to Phoenix

We will be travelling from San Diego to Phoenix in early February in a big MH. It looks like I-8 is the obvious road to use. Anything we should expect and anything we should plan to add time to do?

distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #2

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Depending on where you are going in Phoenix. If West side or taking I 17 North I would take I 8 to Gila Bend then take Arizona Hwy 85 to Buckeye.

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
If you tell us WHERE in the Phoenix metropolitan area you are planning on going, it would help so that we could give you more detailed directions. As Ronnie said, if you're going to the west side of the Valley, I-8 to Gila Bend and SR-85 north to I-10, and I-10 east would be the best way. If you're going to the east side of the Valley, I'd take I-8 east all the way to I-10 and then go north. Depending on exactly where you plan on going, there are some other roads you might want to take, too.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:35 PM   #4

The Phoenix end is not a big concern, it may be Scottsdale or Fort McDowell, possibly north Phoenix (that part of our itinerary is not set). We have driven around Phoenix a number of times. I am interested in what is in between, and if we should just make time or plan to spend some time, and if there are any really bad bits of the highway.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:10 PM   #5

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I'm not aware of any bad road conditions on I 8. If you have time you might check out the opportunities at Kitt Peak Observatory. That would require you to stay in the Casa Grande area and drive your toad about 60 miles...the evening at the observatory is worth the time and effort.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:31 PM   #6

Wind ...

I-8 between El Cajon and El Centro has three 4000+ peaks ... none of the grades are more than 6% ...

The biggest factor in driving this stretch is the possibility of dangerous cross wind conditions ... this is caused by the large cuts and fills at several places ...

When there are high wind warnings driving this stretch of I-8 gives you white knuckles ... don't ask why I know this

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
distaff...I am going a bit here because I would like to welcome you to iRV2 and invite you down to the Monaco Forum where you can gather all sorts of helpful tips and bits of information from others with similar coaches.
You are also welcome to leave a bit early and join in the fun at Quartzsite !
Again- welcome...We hope you visit & post often!

Okay...back on topic
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:37 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just completed the round trip, and the roads are the best in 10 years.
I8 to AZ85 to I10
Richard S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
distaff...I am going a bit here because I would like to welcome you to iRV2 and invite you down to the Monaco Forum where you can gather all sorts of helpful tips and bits of information from others with similar coaches.
You are also welcome to leave a bit early and join in the fun at Quartzsite !
Again- welcome...We hope you visit & post often!

Okay...back on topic
MM - thank you for the welcome. I do peruse the Monaco forum, not sure if I have posted there yet. We may sneak away early, and Quartzite is intriguing, but I can't get away before the 14th, and then we need a favourable weather window. Comes down to "god will'n an' if the crick don't rise".