RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2019, 10:18 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
San Mateo

I am in Oregon and will be heading to San Mateo next week. Yeah, a crazy place to go with my little road-train, but my girlfriend is flying into SFO and I need to be there to meet her. There's a county park on the Bay with 4 RV spots in a parking lot, and that's where I'll be. I'll be coming down I-5 (you Californians say "the 5," don't you?).

Google Maps suggests getting off I-5 onto I-505 to I-80 straight into San Francisco then 101 south to San Mateo.

But I'm wondering if I should come down I-680 to I-580 to 92 across the San Mateo Bridge. Or even stay on I-5 down past Stockton then I-205 to I-580 then the San Mateo Bridge.

It's all conjecture to me, as I've never been in the area. Any thoughts or suggestions?

affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2019, 01:49 PM   #2

I would take the San Mateo Bridge route.
the San Francisco route more scenic though.
but really it depends on time of day/day of week.
your aiming for one of those 4 spots ? wow....
anyway the traffic so bad in the bay area either route is a coin toss...

2018 Forest River 2851SLE "Forester" E-450 Class C , Sumo Springs bump stops Front & Rear, Hellwig Sway Bars Front & Rear, Bilstein HD shocks front & rear, Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer, alignment set to +5 caster. (that's it, out of $$$)
riverforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 02:21 PM   #3

Are you talking about Coyote Point?

Not sure what park to which your refer, but you expect to get one of those 4 spaces? You can make a reservation, right? Well, at least you don't have to worry about the sewer connection. Ok, ok, that was uncalled for Lala bashing.

Of course, there is the San Fransisco RV Resort on the Pacific west of the airport further north of San Mateo for $100 per night.
Delaware beaches ----- DW & Kip the Wonder Dog
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 02:40 PM   #4

680, 580, then 92 across the bridge would be the best. Saturday or Sunday mornings before 9am for least traffic. If you have to do weekday 10am-1pm is best. Use google maps to check traffic.
Good luck
Old 09-12-2019, 10:41 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes, it's Coyote Point. Yes, I have one of those 4 spots reserved. I'll be arriving on a Thursday, probably late morning or noonish, and leaving on Sunday morning heading for Yosemite.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:22 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"coming down I-5 (you Californians say "the 5," don't you?)."

Not all of us. I don't know who started putting 'The' in there but it drives me crazy.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post

actually I do say "I 5" but then I also say the "1 oh 1"

2018 Forest River 2851SLE "Forester" E-450 Class C , Sumo Springs bump stops Front & Rear, Hellwig Sway Bars Front & Rear, Bilstein HD shocks front & rear, Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer, alignment set to +5 caster. (that's it, out of $$$)
riverforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:27 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post

Not all of us. I don't know who started putting 'The' in there but it drives me crazy.
It used to sound really jarring to hear it, but the longer I've been in the West the more I've heard it and the more normal it's become.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:37 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Both Google Maps and my Garmin were suggesting simply taking I-80 into San Francisco then 101 south so that's what I did. There was a backup at the tolls, of course, and traffic was slow through San Francisco, but I learned to drive the motorhome when I lived just outside of Boston so that didn't faze me.

BUT!

Coming south out of San Francisco there's a spot where a couple lanes of traffic merge in from the right. Traffic was crawling through here. There was a blue car to my right trying to merge but as I moved farther forward I lost her in my blind spot. Then the bump. She merged right into me! It must be so hard to see a 35 foot long, 12 foot high motorhome right there next to you!

Well, I'm a very lucky person I guess. The only damage I could find is a tiny bit of paint on one of the storage bay doors.

There were also a couple of very interesting corners to make between the highway and Coyote Point, but I negotiated those okay.

The park is nicer than I expected, and later this morning I'll be picking up my girlfriend at SFO, so all is well!