Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:53 PM   #1
Savannah Ga to Yellowstone

Just accepted summer jobs at Yellowstone. Now I need to plan our route. Towing a 40' 5th wheel with a F350 DRW.

Generally speaking it looks like 10, 40, 70, 80 & 90 are my options getting to 25 north.

I'm scheduling 45 days for the trip, departing April 1st and I'd like to limit driving to 200 miles per day

Any tips suggestions bewares?

Kroghr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2015, 12:58 AM   #2
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The only suggestion I can give is a warning about I40 through Arkansas, it is horrible, lots of pot holes and rough sections that will jar your fillings loose and screw up a front end alignment. I don't know what Arkansas is spending their highway money on but upkeep of I40 is not one of their projects.

The other thing I know is that I20 through Dallas is a mess with all the construction that they are doing, expect delays.

If it were me I would go I10 to I25. My second choice would be I80 to I25.

Berniece & Russell with LilBit a Netherland Dwarf rabbit
1987 Southwind, 1995 Ford F150 Supercab 4X4 toad
Life in the fast lane? No thanks! We will stop and smell the flowers at every chance.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:16 PM   #3
A quick check...it's 2185 miles via 75N o 24 to I-70/I29 north to I-80 at Lincoln, Nebraska to 287/26 in Wyoming into Grand Teton NP at Moran Jct. then up through the park into Yellowstone - if the south entrance of Yellowstone is open at that time.

Another route is 2344 miles via I-80 to Green River, WY then pick up US30 at Little America/Granger, WY over to I-15 at Pocatello. Then north on 20 to West Yellowstone.

Your route will depend on park entrance openings at that time of year and more importantly, on the weather. April can bring some snowstorms in the western states.

The safest route - weatherwise - would be 3070 miles via I-16 to I-20 to I-10 thru Tucson/Phoenix, AZ (spring flowers in the desert, outdoor Desert Museum in Tucson, nice hikes). Then north on I-17 to Flagstaff. Here is where you could do some nice touring of Grand Canyon then 89N through Page, AZ and do Zion and Bryce National Parks. Then at Panguitch, UT near Bryce, take SR20 over to I-15 and north toward Salt Lake City. (SR20 is a very good way to get to I-15 with a big rig. Don't take Hwy 14 off 89 - steep and curvy)

Good luck and enjoy your summer job! How many folks can say that they'll be living in Yellowstone? Neat.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:01 PM   #4
Thanks for your suggestions. Really appreciate it.
Kroghr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:54 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club

We took the route two gypsies indicated two years ago.
A quick check...it's 2185 miles via 75N o 24 to I-70/I29 north to I-80 at Lincoln, Nebraska to 287/26 in Wyoming into Grand Teton NP at Moran Jct. then up through the park into Yellowstone - if the south entrance of Yellowstone is open at that time.

Easy drive and you will enjoy seeing the scenery change! Once you get past Omaha the changes will really start. All of a sudden you will be in the grasslands! Last decent hotel area is Laramie, WY. We stayed at the Americinn hotel because I didn't want to set up our pop up at the time. CHECK THE WIND CONDITIONS. If it is bad they will close the interstate before you go up and over the mountain to Laramie. Fill up with gas when you make the turn off at Rawlins at 287/26. Beautiful ride but not a lot of chances to fill up. I hope you enjoy the summer in Yellowstone!
'92 Fleetwood Bounder M-35J
Diesel Pusher- Cummins Engine - Oshkosh Chassis
creativead is offline   Reply With Quote