Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2018, 02:33 PM   #1

Seattle to Augusta, What’s the Best Route?

Hello,

I’m moving from Seattle WA to Augusta GA this summer. I’m looking for route suggestions that avoid major inclines because I’ll be towing my car behind my 29” gas powered Class C. It does okay on mild slopes, but it only has a Ford 460 so going up anything steep challenges it. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

M.S.
Mark Spears is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2018, 05:06 PM   #2

From Seattle, to the Mississippi , there are virtually no choices of routes that don't have significant climbs. You've got the get through the Rocky Mountains somewhere.

Because of the possibility of problems with the summer heat , combined with the climb, the further south you travel on I-5, maybe best to avoid that.
Already over 100 in many areas along the I-40 .
JMHO. I- 90 might be your best bet , but you won't get any relief from the climbing till you get to Billings and you're still in big hill country till Rapid City.

Good luck with your travels , you're setting out on a long trip.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:07 AM   #3

Good grief, that is in fact a tough one as Skip426 has said.

I was going to suggest going way south and then across but not only does that take many more miles but still has many grades to cross. Even going south on I-5 you'll have to get over the Siskiyous.

Just curious, what do you consider a "mild slope?" ...for instance, I"m sure you're familiar with eastbound I-90 before Snoqualmie Pass. Is that a mild slope or would it tax your rig?

I'll be interested in what others do suggest.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:12 AM   #4

If there are two drivers in the RV it might be best to drive the car separately from the RV over the major passes. It’s not just the Rockies- Idaho has some long grades. Also some very steep downhill grades.
Just drove from the Florida Panhandle to Seattle 3 weeks ago and stayed on I-90 from Sioux Falls, SD to Graham, Washington. Hope you have better weather than we did. Our best route was what our GPS suggested.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:47 AM   #5

In the west I would look at taking I-5 down to I-84 and then I-84 to I-80. You'll hit some grade climbing the Blue Mountains in Oregon and again in portions of Utah/Wyoming but you'll also have long stretches with them.

It's not just the west that you have to think about grades too. You might want to consider dipping south to Memphis to avoid going through part of the southern Appalachians.

There's no way to totally avoid grades so you'll just have to take your time when you do encounter them but I think the route I described above would limit them.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:58 AM   #6

I90 east you avoid many major cities. Somewhere around the Mississippi river head south east.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:32 AM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
I-5 south to I-84 east to I-86 east to I-15 so to US-30 east to I-80 east to I-29 so to I-70 east (alternate is I-25 so thru Denver to I-70 east thru Kansas City) to I-270 (east (skirt St.Louis on north side) to I-255 so to I-64 east to I-57 so to I-24 east to I-75 so to I-285 (east loop) to I-20 east to Augusta..
(By going south to Portland you avoid Snoqualmie, and the 3 grades between Ellensburg and Yakima)
(By avoiding Montana you avoid pulling 5 additional grades.. some steep and some not so much
(By avoiding Utah you also avoid several grades)

Happy Trails..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:16 AM   #8

Route that Saddlesore chose what I followed most of the way to Nashville......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:18 PM   #9

I'd also highly recommend that you disconnect the car & two of you drive the uphills if you're concerned with power.

I-5 south to Bakersfield, CA then east 'might' work but then you'll have some hot desert areas and it still won't be without some uphills.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
I-5 south to I-84 east to I-86 east to I-15 so to US-30 east to I-80 east to I-29 so to I-70 east (alternate is I-25 so thru Denver to I-70 east thru Kansas City) to I-270 (east (skirt St.Louis on north side) to I-255 so to I-64 east to I-57 so to I-24 east to I-75 so to I-285 (east loop) to I-20 east to Augusta..

That's pretty much what I was thinking save the US 30 cut off. That looks like a lessor grade than sticking with the Interstate. It's also the approximately the same route that the pioneers took. If it was good enough for them, I think the OP should be able to make it!
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:20 PM   #11

The US 30 misses hav'n to deal with Salt Lake City and the long climb heading east out of there
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote