Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2017, 10:16 AM   #1

Seattle to Banff, Jasper, Glacier (Montana) & return

We are planning a trip to Banff and other places, Jasper, Glacier (Montana) and return. Probably leaving on labor day and being out for 2+ weeks.

I'm thinking about heading to BC with a stop at Kelowna (Wally World) and then to Banff. I'm searching Parks Canada for reservations at Banff and it seems like Tunnel Mountain Trailer court is possible, except for the weekend but I found some non utility sites available for the weekend. Then we head to Jasper, Glacier (Montana) and home.

Right now we are planning to really get to Banff in one fell swoop so I have not explored rv park options on the rout but it appears that the Walmart at Kelowna allows over nighters.

Part of the problem that I am seeing is that we have increased our RV size to the point that getting into a lot of rv sites is more difficult with our 40' Motorhome compared to the previous 26' and 32' fifth wheels.

I would appreciate any comments concerning our route and recommendations of how to deal with Parks Canada on getting a site if we want to stay longer.
Their reservation system will show availability for our rig and then sometimes the following days have an R for restricted (or non reservable) and it doesn't make sense. It appears that where there is an X that the site is actually reserved.

Do the parks allow a larger RV (40') using a site designated for a smaller RV?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2017, 10:28 AM   #2

Getting your coach and toad into Wally World in Kelowna , will be next to impossible , that is one tight and crowded parking lot, you'd have to roll in after store closing and out before opening in the morning.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:45 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Banff, Jasper, Glacier

Ballard, from someone who has travelled to those areas many times, I would ask if K,elowna is somewhere you really want to see? Reason is traffic thru Kelowna is terrible, and depending on the route you choose big pulls. If you have never been thru BC I would recommend crossing the border @ Sumas, getting on Hwy 1 and following it to Banff. Long day to do it in 1 day but is doable. If on Hwy 1, Walmart in Salmon Arm, or campgrounds. Shouldn't be all that busy at that time as school back in. Tunnel Mtn is a very large campground, and find it hard to believe they are that full at that time. Perhaps a phone call would be in order if trying to do online. It is a very big campground, with lots of pull thrus so shouldn't be a problem size wise. Jasper may be a different issue as they are starting to close campgrounds by that time so recommend calling ahead. Be prepared as could be cool by that time and limited hookups @ Jasper. From there I would recommend going south to Hwy 1 then 93 to Radium Hot Springs, 95 to Hwy 3 east to 93 south and cross at Rooseville. Takes you down thru Whitefish, Kalispell to Glacier. Hope this helps.

Don
Old 08-01-2017, 11:53 AM   #4

Seattle to Banff, etc

Skip & Don,

Thanks for your quick reply. Kelowna is not a necessity but only because i thought that the Walmart would be a good overnight location. I mentioned Kelowna because we have been there in the past.

I don't like long drives any more so perhaps we will just cross the border at Sumas and find a place there to overnight and then drive to Banff the next day. We may be traveling on Labor day and I am beginning to think that is not too bright of an idea, perhaps the next day is best.

I am also considering the reverse by going to Montana first and then to Banff, etc, etc.

Lee
Old 08-01-2017, 01:46 PM   #5

I agree that Sumas should be your point of entry to Canada. We traveled through Salmon Arm in 2015 and hoped to spend the night at their Walmart. There is a very big sign there that says no overnight parking. We then tried Canada Tire...no luck. We ended up at a small but nice independent campground. Ours is a 37 foot rig. It made it up their driveway. Very friendly owners. They had a big central outdoor fire pit. It was wonderful to sit outside and share stories with other campers.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:02 PM   #6

Last September travel to Glacier (Koa East Glacier),. Banff (tunnel Rv park) and Jasper ( Provincial full service park) in a 40' DP towing a mini van. Full hookups in the parks, did have reservations, but space was available in mid September.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:22 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
If crossing Border Labor Day weekend, expect lineups during peak hours. Early morning or late evening best time north bound. Costco just north of border on left if late and can sleep there. We often over night at Kamloops, Costco, fuel pump end, or Home Depot.
Don
Old 08-02-2017, 07:32 AM   #8

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiplomatDon View Post
If crossing Border Labor Day weekend, expect lineups during peak hours. Early morning or late evening best time north bound. Costco just north of border on left if late and can sleep there. We often over night at Kamloops, Costco, fuel pump end, or Home Depot.
Don
Home Depot will be much quieter than Costco.
Happy Glamping.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:25 AM   #9

Just an update, Hwy 93 south, Castle junction (Lake Louise) to Radium is closed this morning because of Banff/Glacier fire.

Tags
montana