Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2014, 01:07 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROGO View Post
We are making the same trip in August from Toronto. Travelling in our 31' diesel motorhome, we will be visiting friends and relatives on the Cndn side and then heading from Vancouver to San Francisco taking 10 days for this leg.

My concern, is the coastal route terrain a major challenge, i.e. narrow lanes , steep, rough pavement, crowded, logging trucks, remote, cost of fuel, etc. Any route has challenges, is it worth it?

We would appreciate hearing from those who have been there and done that.

Bev & Ron
If you are headed west on TC17 through Northern Ontario and survive then you will be well indoctrinated in the art of travel 101 on the coastal route. Used to live in the Soo and the route from there up to Wawa and across to the Lake Head is no more intimidating to the motorhome than the coastal route IMHO.

Enjoy your travels.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #16

The Oregon coast is no trouble for even a big DP. I would suggest taking I-5 as far as Olympia, then take highway 101 round the sourh side of Olympia. Just east of Olympia, 101 heads north to Bremerton so branch off on highway 8, which heads west and runs into highway 12 until which then meets up to 101 at Aberdeen. 101 crosses the Columbia into Astoria. On our last trip we went I-5 to Longview then highway 30 to Astoria. I found some stretches of 30 to be hard work, narrow and twisty.

There are frequent State, county and city parks in Oregon and we haven't found a poor one yet. On our last trip we had planned to go part way down 101 in California, but after over 2 weeks without a working fridge, we'd had enough shopping for ice. We must have stopped at every Fred Meyer store along 101! We headed across from Crescent City to I-5 and home.

If you decide to use I-5 in either direction, I would strongly recommend taking 205 around the east side of Portland and pick up I-5 again the other side of the city. Going through the city on I-5 can be really tough - it always seems to be busy. Our youngest daughter went to college in McMinnville, so we became much too familiar with I-5 over the four years she was there!

Old 02-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
The Oregon coast is no trouble for even a big DP. I would suggest taking I-5 as far as Olympia, then take highway 101 round the sourh side of Olympia. Just east of Olympia, 101 heads north to Bremerton so branch off on highway 8, which heads west and runs into highway 12 until which then meets up to 101 at Aberdeen. 101 crosses the Columbia into Astoria. On our last trip we went I-5 to Longview then highway 30 to Astoria. I found some stretches of 30 to be hard work, narrow and twisty.

There are frequent State, county and city parks in Oregon and we haven't found a poor one yet. On our last trip we had planned to go part way down 101 in California, but after over 2 weeks without a working fridge, we'd had enough shopping for ice. We must have stopped at every Fred Meyer store along 101! We headed across from Crescent City to I-5 and home.

If you decide to use I-5 in either direction, I would strongly recommend taking 205 around the east side of Portland and pick up I-5 again the other side of the city. Going through the city on I-5 can be really tough - it always seems to be busy. Our youngest daughter went to college in McMinnville, so we became much too familiar with I-5 over the four years she was there!
On my initial plan we would take I-5 to Portland and then SW to Lincoln City taking 99W and 18 through McMinnville. Thanks for the tip to use 205.

What route would you recommend to get from 205/I-5 to 99W without backtracking?
ROGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
If you are headed west on TC17 through Northern Ontario and survive then you will be well indoctrinated in the art of travel 101 on the coastal route. Used to live in the Soo and the route from there up to Wawa and across to the Lake Head is no more intimidating to the motorhome than the coastal route IMHO.

Enjoy your travels.
We did that beautiful trip last August to Thunder Bay. There were a few windy hills but the scenery was stunning. The terrain was no problem. I am assuming that those hills will be tame compared to the West coast. Am I right in that assumption?

This time, however, the northern Ontario will be replaced by the US to Estevan SK.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:08 PM   #19

Quote:
On my initial plan we would take I-5 to Portland and then SW to Lincoln City taking 99W and 18 through McMinnville. Thanks for the tip to use 205.

I don't think there is much you can do about that backtracking. It's only 5 miles back up to 99.

I HATE driving my RV through downtown Portland on I-5. All those bridges and overpasses freak me out but then again I've only been driving an RV for a few months.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:02 PM   #20

Quote:

If you want to stop in McMinnville (as in see the Spruce Goose) it is probably easier to go through Salem. I would recommend curing west sooner, either on 30 at Portland or at Kelso. Astoria and Ft Stevens state park are must sees. There is a lot of great scenery between three and Lincoln City.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:55 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
We did that beautiful trip last August to Thunder Bay. There were a few windy hills but the scenery was stunning. The terrain was no problem. I am assuming that those hills will be tame compared to the West coast. Am I right in that assumption?
Some of the 'hills' on 17 north of the Soo are almost as high as anything you will encounter on the coast route. If you remember the climb up out of Montreal river where Lake Superior kept growing in your driver's side windows and how magnificent the scenery seemed to be, well as you head south along the Oregon coast the only difference is its the Pacific Ocean that you can't see the other side of and the views are on the other side of your RV.
Quote:

This time, however, the northern Ontario will be replaced by the US to Estevan SK.
Cross on the Blue Water at Sarnia and head to Flint on 69, north of I-75 to the north end of the Mackinac Bridge and take US-2 to the highway up to Estavan. If you are into trains let me know and I'll PM you some great museum and watching/riding stuff for your Westward Ho.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:47 AM   #22

The route I used to follow from the south end of 205 to McMinnville would be hard work with an RV - all 2-lane roads. It's been 16 years since I did it last, driving my Renault 18 wagon, so my recollections would probably get you lost!

If you want to do some map-reading, I used to go just one exit north on I-5 to Tigard and then head west towards Newberg - don't remember the route # and don't have a detailed Oregon map. At Newberg, I joined 99 into McMinnville.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:23 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Some of the 'hills' on 17 north of the Soo are almost as high as anything you will encounter on the coast route. If you remember the climb up out of Montreal river where Lake Superior kept growing in your driver's side windows and how magnificent the scenery seemed to be, well as you head south along the Oregon coast the only difference is its the Pacific Ocean that you can't see the other side of and the views are on the other side of your RV. Cross on the Blue Water at Sarnia and head to Flint on 69, north of I-75 to the north end of the Mackinac Bridge and take US-2 to the highway up to Estavan. If you are into trains let me know and I'll PM you some great museum and watching/riding stuff for your Westward Ho.
We are planning on a stop in Elkhart, so Mackinac will not work. Thanks for the suggestion anyways.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:22 PM   #24

Ron:

I dug out my Oregon map and find I'd mis-remembered the route I used. I-205 joins I-5 at Junction 288. One mile north is the exit I took going west into Tualatin (not Tigard), then the Tualatin-Sherwood Road. That connects to 99W at Sherwood.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:10 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
Ron:

I dug out my Oregon map and find I'd mis-remembered the route I used. I-205 joins I-5 at Junction 288. One mile north is the exit I took going west into Tualatin (not Tigard), then the Tualatin-Sherwood Road. That connects to 99W at Sherwood.
Thank you, Frank, for your suggestions.