Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2014, 12:55 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Seattle to LA

Hi Folks,

We are leaving Ottawa heading to Vancouver which is fine but the we are heading south from Seattle down to LA.

We need all kinds of info. Should we take the coastal route, are there special landmarks and sight we should consider. What about RV Parks or state parks along the way. Example, we want to spend a few days in Seattle, what's the closest RV park with transportation downtown. We have decided not tow so we are bringing along a small scooter not meant for distant travel.

All and any ideas and opinions are welcomed, Thank you all in advance.

Hector & Sue
Sunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #2

One of the nicer CGs near Seattle is Lake Pleasant, located in Bothell. It has regular bus service past the front gate into the city. It's been a while since we lived there so I'm not sure what the service frequency is.

Because of the cost of property, there aren't many CGs close in. Bothell is about 18 miles out to the east.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:41 PM   #3

Seattle to LA

Thanks Frank, we are seeing the same issue in many locations which may force us to tow a vehicle. Appreciate the insight.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:00 PM   #4

When are you planning to travel? The coast route is spectacular on a clear day but no fun in the frequent fog this time of year. CA coast is now getting storms that would make travel next to impossible.
I-5 is fast and direct but not very scenic especially south of Redding. Miles and miles of, uh, miles and miles.
X2 on Lake Pleasant, we sure enjoyed it.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #5

Hi RoyM,

We should be in Seattle around July 8ish.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:54 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
You will not have any fun on I-5. If time allows go 101 all the way to SF and then switch to Hwy1. down to Pismo then back to 101. Good campground/rv parks all the way. The coastal route will take twice as long as I-5 but well worth the slower, rubber necking drive. We don't drive motorhomes so we can go fast....Oregon Coast Information
Ireland's Ocean RV Park, Gold Beach, Oregon on the Southern Oregon Coast and on America's Wild Rivers Coast right on the beach
HIOUCHI RV PARK • Crescent City, CA
Santa Cruz Redwoods RV Resort (Felton,CA)
Morro Bay State Park Camping
Pismo Coast Village RV Resort - Pismo Beach, CA my favorite place to RV
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:21 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Sunadan there are numerous places to see in Seattle but if you are looking for excellent museum stuff the Museum of Flight is really great. Plan on at least a day to kinds see everything.

BTW are you planning a trip on the Ocean and going to Vancouver island? Way too many things to do here but its costly getting a unit on to and off of this place we call home.

If you are PM me and we can set up a series of places for you to see but I think my DW and I will be in the Okanagan about that time.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:32 PM   #8

We are doing the same trip in April but time is short for the drive down from Seattle to Anaheim. We are taking 4 days to return so we'll be doing 1/101 the way back.

I've been looking at Google Street View and it looks like I-5 has lots of new(ish) pavement in lots of places. Is I-5 still as rough as everyone says it is or has it been improved at all?

We are going to take around 2.5 days to get down to Anaheim. Here is my proposed route.

Day one: Leave Seattle after work on a Friday and make it to Woodburn, OR.
Day two: Woodburn,OR to somewhere around Sacramento
Day three: Head into Anaheim and turn on the ice maker

Does that make sense?
BigInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:59 PM   #9

We travel I-5 about 4 times a year to see the kids. It is being worked on, but still shakes the heck out of the coach in many stretches. When we have the time we take the coast and follow 101. That said. There is a significant amount of roadwork that way too. But the view is nicer.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:46 PM   #10

Thanks for the info. From what I can tell it looks like Sacramento to Stockton is in pretty rough shape?
Old 02-25-2014, 05:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigInSeattle View Post
Thanks for the info. From what I can tell it looks like Sacramento to Stockton is in pretty rough shape?
The entire stretch from the grapevine thru Stockton is in rough shape with short stretches of new road here and there.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #12

What about taking 58 out of Eugene to Klamath Falls then 139/395 through Reno and all the way to L.A? Is that too far out of the way?
Old 02-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigInSeattle View Post
What about taking 58 out of Eugene to Klamath Falls then 139/395 through Reno and all the way to L.A? Is that too far out of the way?
It would be for us. We'd opt to take the coast down.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunadan View Post
Hi Folks,

We are leaving Ottawa heading to Vancouver which is fine but the we are heading south from Seattle down to LA.

We need all kinds of info. Should we take the coastal route, are there special landmarks and sight we should consider. What about RV Parks or state parks along the way. Example, we want to spend a few days in Seattle, what's the closest RV park with transportation downtown. We have decided not tow so we are bringing along a small scooter not meant for distant travel.

All and any ideas and opinions are welcomed, Thank you all in advance.

Hector & Sue
We are making the same trip in August from Toronto. Travelling in our 31' diesel motorhome, we will be visiting friends and relatives on the Cndn side and then heading from Vancouver to San Francisco taking 10 days for this leg.

My concern, is the coastal route terrain a major challenge, i.e. narrow lanes , steep, rough pavement, crowded, logging trucks, remote, cost of fuel, etc. Any route has challenges, is it worth it?

We would appreciate hearing from those who have been there and done that.

Bev & Ron
ROGO is offline   Reply With Quote