Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2015, 07:36 AM   #1
PBG

Seeking A Summer Class A Motorhome Charter

Hi All,

I posted this in another thread and I hope you don't mind that I'm also posting it here. I'm new to this forum and am impressed by the knowledge found here. Thanks and sorry about the cross-post, but I'm on a timeframe and need to move forward in my quest. Here's the original post:

This is my first post in IRV2 so I hope it's appropriate that I take a moment to introduce myself, my name is Andy and I live in the South Florida area. While I've never owned a Motorhome, I'm not new to the industry. My background is a technology/new products reporter and spent a few decades penning a syndicated newspaper column, a regular feature in USA Today and produced and appeared in 400+ live segments as a contributing correspondent with NBC's Today Show in the 1990's. I worked under the name The Gadget Guru. Some have called me the Godfather of the modern tech blog, but I'm not sure I believe that.

The reason I mention my background is that during my journalism years, I would occasionally produce TV and print stories highlighting what's new in the world of RV's. On multiple occasions I worked with the RVIA and Barton-Gilanelli PR to have multiple campers/RV's delivered to the Today Show plaza at 30 Rock in NYC and would do a live broadcast moving from model to model. It was always a fun spot to produce and even back then, I was amazed at the breakthroughs delivered by the RV manufacturers.

Because I brought a lot of eyeballs to the world of RVs to those who may not know about them, I was honored by the RVIA in the late 90's with the Journalism Man of the Year award and I was the keynote speaker at the RVIA's dealer meeting in Louisville. It was a wonderful event and I had the opportunity to meet many wonderful people in the RV industry...but that was many years ago.

With that said, I'm attempting to plan a trip of the lifetime and it starts with the charter of a top of the line, Class A motorhome. I say "charter" as I am looking to work with a reputable management company who will provide not only the RV, but the driver as well. This way, it will (hopefully) be a headache-free trip. I'm also considering hiring a gourmet chef to make this truly a trip of a lifetime. Yes, I'm a bit eccentric!

I'm attempting to charter (rental with a driver) an RV on the scale of a Newmar Essex, King Aire or a Newell. I've found one outlet, All Star Coaches (Ft. Lauderdale) that seems to have an Essex and that model may fit my needs. I'll be driving down to take a look at it soon and if all goes as planned, I'll book a paid day rental to do a six hour trip to see if this specific RV meets my needs. If so, my plan is to charter it for six- to eight-weeks over the Summer to take a coast-to-coast trip. I'm planning on producing a documentary along the way...but we'll see how that goes!

While I've looked online for other companies who may offer this charter service, I'm coming up empty and I'm hoping that others can guide me in the right direction and provide constructive input.

Please note, that if the Summer trip goes well, my next step will be to purchase an RV in the same or higher category of the Essex.

I greatly appreciate input and advice on this topic.
PBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2015, 07:53 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
PBG..
Seems like an interesting trip and a very interesting life!
Can't add much other than go for it.. My wife and I have enjoyed the lifestyle over the past number of years.. We do not full time but travel a good bit..
I will be following your adventure and living vicariously through your travels..
Good luck and welcome to this site!!!
Ron Husak
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:05 AM   #3

Andy,

Welcome to this Forum. By the way, my wife and I always enjoyed your "gadget" segments on the Today Show.

It looks like you have it covered. I am not aware of any charter outfits but your choice of an Essex, King Aire, or a Newell can't go wrong. I am surprised that you have found such an arrangement with a coach in this class. It should be a memorable trip.

Will you keep a blog about your adventures? If so, please publish here your contact info for the blog. I would be interested in following along.

Driver? Gourmet Chef?

You lucky dog!

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:18 AM   #4
PBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
Andy,

Welcome to this Forum. By the way, my wife and I always enjoyed your "gadget" segments on the Today Show.

It looks like you have it covered. I am not aware of any charter outfits but your choice of an Essex, King Aire, or a Newell can't go wrong. I am surprised that you have found such an arrangement with a coach in this class. It should be a memorable trip.

Will you keep a blog about your adventures? If so, please publish here your contact info for the blog. I would be interested in following along.

Driver? Gourmet Chef?

You lucky dog!

Don
Thanks for the kind words Don!

Yes, I'm attempting to plan a Trip of a Lifetime and I do hope to document my adventures with video and a journal. My timeframe is to start in mid-July and my route has me connecting with Friends in all corners of the USA.

The equipment (RV) is not yet secured and in the case this specific RV (Essex) does not work out nor is it like the photos, I hope that others can provide some good advice on where to find the perfect RV for this trip.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:38 AM   #5

You likely have better industry contacts, but have you looked into companies that charter converted buses to musical groups?. I would think Nashville, Tennessee, might have some that cater to country music people. I'm not suggesting a bus with lots of sleeping bunks, rather something outfitted for one "star" (of course, there may be lots of mirrors and twinklie lights ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBG View Post
...While I've looked online for other companies who may offer this charter service, I'm coming up empty and I'm hoping that others can guide me in the right direction and provide constructive input...
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:45 AM   #6
PBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
You likely have better industry contacts, but have you looked into companies that charter converted buses to musical groups?. I would think Nashville, Tennessee, might have some that cater to country music people. I'm not suggesting a bus with lots of sleeping bunks, rather something outfitted for one "star" (of course, there may be lots of mirrors and twinklie lights ).
Thanks George!

I'm originally from the Nashville area and great minds think alike as that was my first point of contact. It seems that my time frame (mid-July) conflicts with the country music tour schedules and the buses are booked until Fall. One of the companies I found with some interesting equipment was Hemphill.

When that route failed to produce results and after giving it much thought, I feel that chartering an RV is a better route to go as I have interest in ownership down the road and this will give me a great opportunity to see if I like RV life and if so, will provide a good basis for knowing which features are important to me.

In terms of industry contacts, the folks I worked with back in the day are, for the most part, retired from the industry.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:52 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
A quick "google" of RV tour bus operators yields quite a few choices. Here's but a few:

Motor home rentals | Class A luxury RV rentals natiowide

Band Tour Buses, Entertainer Coaches and Charter Bus Rentals

Road Trip Charters | Bus & RV Rentals, RV Mobile Home Travel, Private Charters, Private Motor Coach | Home

Welcome to iRV2! Definitely sounds like a trip of a lifetime...
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:56 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Perhaps you should contact the manufacturers of the coaches you like and see if they will supply a coach and help you produce a documentary. I bet they can find a driver/living companion.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:06 AM   #9
PBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
A quick "google" of RV tour bus operators yields quite a few choices. Here's but a few:

Motor home rentals | Class A luxury RV rentals natiowide

Band Tour Buses, Entertainer Coaches and Charter Bus Rentals

Road Trip Charters | Bus & RV Rentals, RV Mobile Home Travel, Private Charters, Private Motor Coach | Home

Welcome to iRV2! Definitely sounds like a trip of a lifetime...
Great Info! Thank You!
Old 03-01-2015, 11:18 AM   #10
PBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
Perhaps you should contact the manufacturers of the coaches you like and see if they will supply a coach and help you produce a documentary. I bet they can find a driver/living companion.
Thanks for the note. While I have some feelers out to a few select manufacturers, I'm being very clear that I'm not looking for freebies. (I'll guess they get quite a few inquiries from others).

Just getting some guidance on dealing with reputable companies, making sure I'm selecting the right RV for a first class experience and paying a fair price as well as getting some assistance in planning the routes and overnights from the manufacturers would be helpful at this stage. Remember, while I covered the RV industry for the national media for a period, I'm far from being an expert in the field. However, I'm at the stage in my life where if this Summer trip goes well, I'm wide open to ownership possibilities.

I've also reached out to the RVIA, but so far, no response. I'm hoping they read this forum!
Old 03-01-2015, 03:07 PM   #11

Celebrity Coach in Tupelo Ms does a lot of what you are looking for, or at least they do coaches for entertainers. Might be worth a call or search.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:32 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
PPG/Andy just sent you a private message with contact info for a fellow I know in Fla that deals with this sort of thing. Best of luck to you.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:05 PM   #13

for the write price I will send mine on a trip with a driver, no chef though, where are the driver and cook going to sleep hotels or the trailer?

rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:22 AM   #14

At the Tampa RV show the Prevost site had a coach there that was for rent.

She said they furnished the driver. The way I understood her was they had more than one coach. Cost was $500 per day with driver for the cheapest one.

I'm not sure if that coach was owned by a private company or by Prevost. It was the coach that was outside of the pavilion. Might check with the Tampa fairgrounds they might know who owned that one ?

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, motorhome