Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Seeking NEW Route South.

Hi ALL:

Anyone have suggestions??

We're departing the Mitchell, SD area around Oct. 10th-ish and migrating to winter "digs" in central FL (Ocala/Silver Springs area). We're full timers driving a MH towing our small car. Since our son and family live in FL, we've made this trek a number of times using pretty much the same corridor(s):

(a.--Dakota over to Southern Illinois then through Paducah, Kentucky and South on I-24 to pick up I-75 at Chatanooga, TN and South to FL......OR....

(b.--South from Mitchell, SD via Sioux Falls/and I-29 to Kansas City then E. on I-70 to St. Louis picking up I-55 South through Memphis to pick up I-10 above New Orleans, then E. on I-10 on over to FL.

We've got about 2 or 2 1/2 wks. to arrive Nov. 1st, and we're wondering if someone might have a suggestion or two??? What do ya think about via Birmighham to Montgomery, AL?

Sure would like some ideas for new scenery.

THANKS.

Steve, Lynette (and da cats )
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
DKO

You could go south at Kansas City down to Joplin/Springfield/Branson area. 71 out of KC is four lane and good road. The Ozarks are nice in October.

From there you can get to I-40 either straight south from Joplin or out of Branson. I have driven both in our big rig. Hilly but not bad at all.

Out of Memphis you could take 78 to Birmingham then I-65 to Montgomery and 231 through Dothan down to I-10. 78 is future interstate and 231 is four lane as well.

It is nice to have time for different options. Have a safe trip.

DKO
Old 09-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
DKO:

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. We have driven 71 South from K.C. way back in 03 or 04 in the conversion van we had before retiring and going full time in MH, but back then, although the route was fine, it sure wasn't 4 lane. Kinda think we'll take your advice though.

Thanks.

Steve & Lynette
Old 09-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Steve & Lynette,
I cannot give you a specific route, but we just finished 4600+ miles and left SD a little more West of you. We took US highways instead of Interstates and the roads were very good. A few bumpy areas, but no more than on some of the Interstates. US-83 and US-287 were very good (more west of you) but do consider just getting off the Interstate system and enjoying the scenery. I remember one time coming from the NE to Ohio and the GPS routed me the "Quickest" way. Yeah, right! Many of the turns were 25-30 MPH but the scenery was spectacular.

Happy trails.

p.s. Just check the AITA Low Clearance web site for any route you decide.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Wayne:

Thanks. Yup taking the state routes are often more enjoyable. AND.....keeping an eye on those clearances is a MUST!!

Steve
Old 09-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Beach Rose Campground
Salisbury, MA

Two years ago we headed north out of the FL panhandle to Mobile and got on US 45 in the Mobile area. In AL it was two-lane but not bad traveling. At the MS state line US 45 changed to interstate quality 4-lane - but it was not limited access. What a nice drive! Took that all the way to Jackson, TN then US 412, I-155 to I-55 in the MO bootheel.

We have found many old US routes to fine highways with a bypass around the towns.

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote