RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2019, 05:22 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Shelby, MT to Cardston, AB

We're going to be doing a trip next year to the Canadian Rockies, part of which will be heading west on US-2 and staying in Shelby, MT for a night before heading up to cross into Canada. My trip planner (RVTW) suggests going from Shelby to Browning, MT, then heading north on MT-464 to connect with US-89 in Babb and crossing into Canada at the Carway border crossing. Looking at a map, it seems a better way is to take MT-213 out of Cut Bank all the way up to the Canadian border at the Del Bonita Border Crossing. And going this alternate route saves me 20+ miles. Looking at MT-213 on Google Maps shows it to be a decent highway. Highway services won't matter either way because we'll gas up in Shelby before heading out, and Cardston from there is ony about 75 miles. Just curious if anyone else has driven MT-213, and/or has crossed at the Del Bonita Border Post? I'd appreciate hearing any comments.

Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2019, 06:13 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cant speak to that route exactly but we took 2 from Shelby all the way to Balls Ferry and took in part of the Selkirk loop (Porthill crossing) to head up into BC. A very nice route, no issues, free ferry at Kootenay Bay - very enjoyable route.

The ferry from Kootenay Bay to Balfour is said to be “the longest free ferry in the world”! About a 45 minute crossing, very little waiting, lots of room for large vehicles, A nice experiemce.

We stayed at Lake Sheloole CG and rode bikes into town, inexpensive (~$15) Pleasant, not crowded, easy in and out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5624D7F4-E018-412A-ACE6-9F1E79224587.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	268258  

Old 11-29-2019, 06:19 PM   #3

We took both ways north of St Mary, and they were fine. Once to go to the Peace Park, and the other to Calgary and Banff. We took 93 south to Roosville coming back so we could see the Yoho NP. And it was Ok tho we got searched on the way back. It looks to me that your best route would be I15 north to the border out of Shelby since you are going to be there anyway. But it looks like 213 should be OK.

I'd check to make sure that border station will be open when you get there.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:38 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Searched on the way back? What were they looking for? On several occasions Ive found US border agents on the US/Canada border unnecessarily assertive in their application of their authority. Even confiscated dog food because it was in a container, and not in the original bag. And it wasn't a “failed the attitude test” thing - they were just acrimonious and excessive and we had no idea why.

On the Canada side all was pleasant, but they are now on a “chicken and eggs” prevention campaign. So don't take either or they will have you throw them in the trash. This is because of some bird disease found only in wild foul in Canada, but they are targeting chicken and eggs from the US to prevent its spread.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Searched on the way back? What were they looking for? On several occasions Ive found US border agents on the US/Canada border unnecessarily assertive in their application of their authority. Even confiscated dog food because it was in a container, and not in the original bag. And it wasn't a “failed the attitude test” thing - they were just acrimonious and excessive and we had no idea why.

I think it was just random search, no big deal. The agents were polite and all they did was go into the fiver and five minutes later they were out and done. Probably delayed us 10-15 minutes.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:19 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
We took both ways north of St Mary, and they were fine. Once to go to the Peace Park, and the other to Calgary and Banff. We took 93 south to Roosville coming back so we could see the Yoho NP. And it was Ok tho we got searched on the way back. It looks to me that your best route would be I15 north to the border out of Shelby since you are going to be there anyway. But it looks like 213 should be OK.

I'd check to make sure that border station will be open when you get there.
Thanks for providing me with a reply to my question. It opens at 7AM or 9AM depending on time of year from what I read. I'm just wondering if MT-213 had any surprises that weren't obvious on Google maps, and of course about this particular border crossing.

Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote