Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2010, 08:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Tolls in the east are a fact of life.

On I 95 in MD at the Susquehanna bridge, there's no toll southbound but the northbound toll is $5 for a 2 axle vehicle, but a MH & toad is considered a 4 axle vehicle and the toll is $23.
Thanks for saving me $23! That is valuable information.

The bridges over the Delaware river south of Trenton, NJ charge a toll for leaving NJ. The east/north trip is not toll.

NJ has a "moving out tax" too but that is a different subject.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #16

Seeing how this has evolved from "Pennsylvania Turnpike" toll post into a toll in general thread, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I've had NY state issued EZ Pass for my cars for years. The one time that I used it on a (rented) RV, they adjusted/increased the charge about a week after going through a toll in New York.

Last year, when we got our RV, a friend suggested we get an EZ Pass for the RV from Delaware since they only take axles into account when charging tolls (not weight).

I followed his advice . . . I have limited experience testing this out, but I know that some tolls in MA where it was $1.50 for the car (NY EZ-Pass) and I was being charged $3.00 (cash) for the RV, now only cost me $1.50 (Delaware EZ-Pass).

YMMV

Old 07-01-2010, 09:01 AM   #17

The sad fact is that despite the high charges, the PA turnpike has some of the worst roads and construction delays around, especially in the Western part of the state. Most truckers avoid the PA turnpike like the plague if at all possible. My kids once remarked, "Dad, this is like driving on the surface of the moon"! When I mentioned this to my friend who works for the turnpike commission, he was not amused!
Old 07-01-2010, 09:39 AM   #18

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Tolls in the east are a fact of life.

On I 95 in MD at the Susquehanna bridge, there's no toll southbound but the northbound toll is $5 for a 2 axle vehicle, but a MH & toad is considered a 4 axle vehicle and the toll is $23.
Make that the NORTH east. Just driving a car, I had to go from my home in the VA Beach area to a meeting in Atalantic City. Total bill, $34 in tolls, EACH WAY, although you are correct, some of the tolls in Maryland do not apply to southbound traffic.

In contrast, I can drive ANY vehicle, car, MH, MH w/toad, from my home to as far saouth as I can get, Key West FL, and pay ZERO in tolls. Now I don't want to get banned for life so I will be subtle. What we are seeing here is simply two alternate political philosophies in action.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmiles View Post
Make that the NORTH east. Just driving a car, I had to go from my home in the VA Beach area to a meeting in Atalantic City. Total bill, $34 in tolls, EACH WAY, although you are correct, some of the tolls in Maryland do not apply to southbound traffic.

In contrast, I can drive ANY vehicle, car, MH, MH w/toad, from my home to as far saouth as I can get, Key West FL, and pay ZERO in tolls. Now I don't want to get banned for life so I will be subtle. What we are seeing here is simply two alternate political philosophies in action.
I beg to differ. According to THIS site. Florida and Oklahoma lead the nation in miles of toll roads!
Old 07-06-2010, 12:17 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
You can go the length of Fla on US 27. A very good road. No reason to pay tolls.
Unless you want to??

Kerry
Old 07-06-2010, 12:24 PM   #21

I remember a while back that the PA Turnpike was named the worst highway in the country by a trucking trade magazine. Horrible road and you pay extra to drive on it.

I-95 in the Carolinas is in worse condition than the PA Turnpike. I think I lost a filling there.
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:11 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
"I-95 in the Carolinas is in worse condition than the PA Turnpike. I think I lost a filling there." But you only paid the dentist!!! NC laws prohibit toll roads, But it comes up every year in legistration. We also have some of the highest fuel taxes in the east, possibly the country. At least you have a choice not to use most toll roads, it may not make sense to take the alternate route, but... In NC we don't have a choice unless you exit the state to buy your fuel.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:57 AM   #23

I do like how it looks like somebody spilled asphalt on I-95 in NC. They were clever enough to not spill it on the painted lines, so those didn't have to be re-painted.
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:25 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Funny how those "temporary" taxes tend to hang around for a while... like federal income tax
I believe it's called "Legalized Extortion!"
And it isn't going to go away!

Regards,
RovinOn
05 Southwind 37C
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:28 AM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Several years ago (2006) I had to visit Elkhart, IN. (NOTE: this was not a choice, My rig came with the optional self-removing windshield, since I'd not ordered that option I had to go to the factory and have them remove it.. Which by the way they did, no problem)

Well.. the day we left a new higher toll rate went into effect.

The trip home I not only paid $0.00 in tolls

But there was a gas station on the route I took with a price at least a dime a gallon lower than anyone else on the route. So I tanked up.

Now: I do not expect you to know the roads as well as I happen to know that area (I used to have a job that took me all over that part of Michigan, Elkhart is just south of Michigan and thus I was only a few miles from roads I knew well) But with Microsoft Streets & Trips or one of the competitor's programs and a bit of practice you can map around most any toll road.

I headed up to US-12, then east to M-66, then North to Battle Creek/Lakeview area, stopped for Dinner at a mall that went up after I left the area, and picked up I-94 to Detroit.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:39 AM   #26

For those that are traveling Ohio and Indiana!!!! U.S. 30 in Ohio and Indiana is a great road. You can go all the way to Penn. via I71 and I76. Not one dime of toll. The only exception is the road West from Indiana 49 to I65 in Western Indiana. At this point, a wise driver would pay the toll for the short distance West.

We will never use the Ohio or Indiana Toll road to go across these states.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmiles View Post
In contrast, I can drive ANY vehicle, car, MH, MH w/toad, from my home to as far south as I can get, Key West FL, and pay ZERO in tolls.
Yes but the Florida Turnpike with a SunPass sure makes it easier. We used to go I95 to the Sawgrass expressway but the turnpike, especially late at night is a breeze.

How do you avoid the tolls around Miami without it being a PIA?
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:02 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

This turned out to spur great discussion. Paying a few dollars to cross a bridge strike me as no big deal but getting nicked $48 to drive on a highway full of pot holes and then learning that locals and professionals know better than to take it makes me feel like it's the same as a local "speed trap" and leaves a bad taste.

So, like with so many things, we can be forewarned and make our own choices as to where to spend our tourist dollars.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote