Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2016, 05:52 PM   #1

Siskiyou Mountains

Headed down I-5 end of January. Any thoughts on getting over the Siskiyou Mountains that time of year?
KAMPURR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2016, 06:08 PM   #2

Follow what's happening weather wise on both sides of the California and Oregon border.
- If weather is or was recently bad (past 24-72 hrs) or snow on the ground, plan on crossing between 10am and 2pm as the road will be in its best condition between those times.
- If weather is and has been good (no snow or rain) travel when it's most convienent for you.
capoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:23 PM   #3

It's not only Siskiyou Summit you need to concern yourself with. The entire stretch from Ashland, OR to Redding can be bad. Many have spent multiple nights in both towns waiting on weather. Use Tripcheck.com for Oregon and Caltrans for CA road conditions. Having said that, sometimes one can sail through with no issues. Have options in mind, watch the weather and road conditions alter your plans as required.

If conditions are really bad even the four passes between Grants Pass, OR and Canyonville, OR can be snowy or icy. Tons of RVs make this trip year round watch the conditions and enjoy the beautiful drive.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:06 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMPURR View Post
Headed down I-5 end of January. Any thoughts on getting over the Siskiyou Mountains that time of year?
I'll either be right ahead of you, or right behind you !

Do you have tire chains?
Old 12-26-2016, 08:41 PM   #5

If tire chains would even fit a MH, how many actually carry a set?
rmbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:45 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mandatory on that interstate at this time of year.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:01 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Watch the weather and if it gets dicey, head to the coast at Grants Pass.

As far as chains, yes they do make chains to fit motorhomes and I do carry a set as required by law. Not that I would ever install them but I do have a very cheap set I bought from Schwab
Old 12-26-2016, 09:04 PM   #8

Made it going south today. Cold but roads bare and dry. It's a day by day situation. I carry chains but would really have to need to be somewhere to put them on. Try to go over "heat of the day" after traffic has had some time to clear the hwy.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:15 PM   #9

Thanks ya'll. These tips will help.

Dave
KAMPURR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #10

Did it both directions mid-January last year without any problems. Going south it was just me in the truck. Coming back, I was driving the MH with the toad. I was very concerned about the weather but wet roads and a little fog was as bad as it got.

I did get chains for all 3 vehicles (MH and toad in CA). Since I didn't use them, I was able to return the 2 sets at home in April so the cost was zero. I had previously aquired chains for the truck with the intention of keeping them but never using them.

So, I prepared for the worst, hoped for the best, and won.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:15 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
So as an option, you can drive over to the coast and go down 101?? We're going to try to leave next tues or we'd when its supposed to be very cold but clear.
Rickndebw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:06 AM   #12

Someone was headed up to OR from CA but found out 101 is closed at Trinidad, CA. 101 can be closed in both CA and/or OR in the winter by slides. Clear but cold is fine as long as the roads are dry. Use Tripcheck.com or Caltrans for specific information every time you travel.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:05 PM   #13

Take CalTrans with a grain of salt, at least that was my experience. Bought a motorhome in LA last year and drove back to Seattle area in late December. Stopped in Redding for the night and checked CalTrans in the AM. Clear and no problems they say.

Wrong - didn't have chains and almost got stuck on the side of the road. Lighted sign informs me chains required 13 miles ahead. No way to exit the freeway and turn around. All the exits said semi's not recommended. I figured that applied to me. They were directing semi's to the side for chain-up. Somehow they waved me on through. Not sure of their rules. (Now I know the part where chains need to be carried - I wasn't!!)

Was towing and my first ever experience driving a class A. What a trial by fire!!
X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #14

Keep a very close eye on the weather. Stay put until there's no doubt. Definitely travel during the heat of the day. If you have to, there are RV parks on 5 thru the area. Imagine they're open. With in-laws in Redding, I spent decades of Christmas's there. Most years the passes were of no issue. Most years. Depending on how far south you are going, Grapevine & Tehachapi can also be problematic. Once again find a FHU park & wait until the weather clears.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote