Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2014, 06:54 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Smokey Mtns

We have a 35 ft motorhome. We were thinking of traveling from Gatlinburg Tenn to Cherokee NC. We crossed over the Smokey Mountains many years ago on route 441 by car. We can't remember if it is a good route for a RV.
dabrooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 06:57 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
We have a 35 ft motorhome. We were thinking of traveling from Gatlinburg Tenn to Cherokee NC. We crossed over the Smokey Mountains many years ago on route 441 by car. We can't remember if it is a good route for a RV.
We did that route last summer. Absolutely no problems in a MH and towing. Great road.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi dabrooks,
You should have no problem. The traffic will ensure you are not holding anyone up. Be careful going through Gatlinburg. The main street is narrow and crowed with people. If a pedestrian puts one foot in the cross walk you must stop.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Expect heavy traffic in town, but other than that it should be good. It's a long, windy road but the speed limit is low - 35mph. There will be some tight turns in places, but it should not be an issue. That said, I often smell overheating brakes on the downhills so be sure you know how to properly brake on long descents. It's not Mount Washington steep, but it is still steep enough to cook brakes if you ride them. Although the park is often very crowded, you should have fun there.

- Randy
Old 04-13-2014, 06:55 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the replies and information. We will be travelling through there Thursday and Friday May 1st and 2nd. Also thanks for the warning about the brakes. We did drive our class C out west through Sequoia and Yosemite national parks so I learned to pump the brakes and use the pull overs. Thanks again for all the info.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:03 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

Great Smoky Mtn is really no problem and you must take your time navigating the curves. If you have to many cars behind you pull over and let them go.

With regard to the brakes, pump them like you stated, however use your transmission for a lot of the braking. I usually leave it in 2nd going down and sometimes going up if I'm going slow and don't want the transmision. to keep searching for a gear.

My new coach on a Ford F-53 has tow haul switch and I can leave that in and the braking with the transmission is great. On my last coach the Alison transmission did a fantastic job of braking.

Good Luck and enjoy Cherokee, NC.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
When we were there in 12', we camped on both sides of the Smoky's. Since we never drove up and over on 441, we took the conservative way around on I-40 which was a little hairy. But once we drove over with just the SUV to Newfound Gap, I could have very well taken the RV (Next time). The only tighter spot is as your approaching the Northern side of Newfound Gap. The southern side is just a steady grade over about 15 miles. Saw plenty of large 5ers and MH's. The side road up to Clingmans Dome I wouldn't take a RV up there.

12 days in the Smoky Mtn June 2012 pics
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:59 PM   #8

Have towed over that route many times with our TT without problems. In season its very slow going with frequent stops when there something to look at. Couple of steep grades, tunnels and tight turns but even the bigger rigs can still handle it. The big problems are in Pigeon Forge always traffiic can use side streets to avoid some and Gatlingburg very tight going thru town with big rigs.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:05 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Anyone driven US 19 from Maggie Valley to Cherokee in a Class A pulling a toad? White knuckles? Change of drawers?
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I have taken that route by car a couple of times. When we got the class A I decided not to go into Cherokee from the east through Maggie Valley. I take the southern route in 23/74. I think 19 would be "white knuckle" for the driver and maybe "change of drawers" for the passenger.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:31 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
I have taken that route by car a couple of times. When we got the class A I decided not to go into Cherokee from the east through Maggie Valley. I take the southern route in 23/74. I think 19 would be "white knuckle" for the driver and maybe "change of drawers" for the passenger.
Same here re in a car. Just wanted to confirm my thoughts. Still looking for anyone who has tried it. If I remember correctly, there is one downhill that felt like straight down.
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #12

We just returned from Gatlinburg by car. The town was crazy busy ( spring break and all us northerners looking for spring!) drove to the top, Clingman's Dome and saw a few coaches. Some tight hair pins and steep grades. Lots of places to pull over and enjoy the beautiful view. Enjoy the trip!
srrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:56 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Maggie Valley to Cherokee on 19 does have a couple of campgrounds on it so I am sure you can navigate with a class A. The DW does not like steep grades with curves even though she doesn't drive. It is her memory of that road that really has us going the southern route from the east into Cherokee. That being said she likes slot machines more than she dislikes steep grades and curves. So if that was the only route we would probably give it a try.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:45 AM   #14

If you have a toad, Parson's Branch road is an interesting drive. DO NOT try it in the MH. It is unpaved, steep, and fords a few creeks, but it is beautiful.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote