Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-14-2015, 02:28 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oshawa
Posts: 213
Snow Bird needs route advice.

I am planning a trip to Florida's Myakka River area (Port Charlotte) from east of Toronto Ontario Canada in our 40' MoHo. I used Good Sam's trip planner, but it has me passing right through the middle of any big city along the way. Is this wise, or should I be trying the bypasses when available. It has us crossing the border at the Peace Bridge, which I think is good. It then directs me out 190 to 90 and south on 79 19 77 26 95 4 & 75. If anyone can think of an easier route or??? please let us know. Not too sure about whether you are allowed through the tunnels in the mountains with propane etc. Cities to pass through include Pittsburg PA, Charlotte NC, Columbia SC, Jacksonville Fl, & Orlando.
__________________

__________________
FixerCQI is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2015, 03:00 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Steve Ownby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cosby, Tn
Posts: 6,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixerCQI View Post
I am planning a trip to Florida's Myakka River area (Port Charlotte) from east of Toronto Ontario Canada in our 40' MoHo. I used Good Sam's trip planner, but it has me passing right through the middle of any big city along the way. Is this wise, or should I be trying the bypasses when available. It has us crossing the border at the Peace Bridge, which I think is good. It then directs me out 190 to 90 and south on 79 19 77 26 95 4 & 75. If anyone can think of an easier route or??? please let us know. Not too sure about whether you are allowed through the tunnels in the mountains with propane etc. Cities to pass through include Pittsburg PA, Charlotte NC, Columbia SC, Jacksonville Fl, & Orlando.

I'm OK with your route till Jacksonville, FL. I would take the west bypass to I10 and then take US301 south to Ocala. At that point pick up I75. This will keep you out of the rat race of Orlando. Tampa is no issue at all.


Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
__________________

__________________
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:01 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,221
I 79 actually skirts the west side of Pittsburgh, so you aren't going through the center of the city, which is the biggest one on your list. You could go further south on I-95 then W on FL 70 to bypass the Orlando traffic. Other than that, most the other routes are the best roads in the area you're traveling through.
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:47 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
DRL1950's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fulton NY
Posts: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixerCQI View Post
I am planning a trip to Florida's Myakka River area (Port Charlotte) from east of Toronto Ontario Canada in our 40' MoHo. I used Good Sam's trip planner, but it has me passing right through the middle of any big city along the way. Is this wise, or should I be trying the bypasses when available. It has us crossing the border at the Peace Bridge, which I think is good. It then directs me out 190 to 90 and south on 79 19 77 26 95 4 & 75. If anyone can think of an easier route or??? please let us know. Not too sure about whether you are allowed through the tunnels in themountains with propane etc. Cities to pass through include Pittsburg PA, Charlotte NC, Columbia SC, Jacksonville Fl, & Orlando.

Just curious, when are you making the trip, and where exactly are you staying?
__________________
David & Anne Marie
2015 Dutch Star 4369
All Electric Coach
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:02 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
ChasA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 1,857
I agree with Steve Ownby. By pass Jacksonville. But instead of taking I-295 to I-10 to US 301, I would take exit 373 (A1A) west through Callahan to US 301 and then south to I-75 in Ocala.
There is a very nice KOA in Starke. If your coach needs a wash, there is a man named Terry listed on the bulletin board in the KOA . He does an outstanding job.
__________________
2010 Winnebago Journey Express 34Y
2010 Freightliner XCS (mfd 9/'09)
'07 Saturn Vue V6
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:09 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
GaryKD's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wellington, Florida
Posts: 12,318
Hi FixerCQI,
I do not like the route. For me:
1. Get to Interstate 81 as soon as you can.
2. Take I 81 all the way to Tennessee where it becomes I 40 West.
3. Take I 40 West to I 75 South.
4. Take I 75 South to the Myakka River area.

Plan your travel through Atlanta on a weekend and mid-day. Stay on I 75 through Atlanta. Other than that, this route is a pleasant and scenic drive. There are many things to stop and see along the way.
__________________
Gary
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:26 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Steve Ownby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cosby, Tn
Posts: 6,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi FixerCQI,
I do not like the route. For me:
1. Get to Interstate 81 as soon as you can.
2. Take I 81 all the way to Tennessee where it becomes I 40 West.
3. Take I 40 West to I 75 South.
4. Take I 75 South to the Myakka River area.

Plan your travel through Atlanta on a weekend and mid-day. Stay on I 75 through Atlanta. Other than that, this route is a pleasant and scenic drive. There are many things to stop and see along the way.

Not too much to argue with in Gary's route for directness. For me, after more trips through Atlanta than I care to remember, I'll do most anything to escape that particular experience. From Chattanooga to south of Macon the traffic is heavy, the scenery is unremarkable and the road service is less than desirable.

A very scenic interstate drive would be to stay on I81 to I26 in Tennessee. I26 from Erwin, TN to Mars Hill, NC is relatively new & very scenic.


Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
__________________
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:11 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
JFXG's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Today? Mercer, PA
Posts: 3,614
I would never argue against I-81 as long as it's reasonably direct. IMO, right now I-81 is one of the best continuous stretches of interstate highway east of the Mississippi; and Steve is right in that I-26 is a beautiful drive. We left Asheville via I-26 up to TN just last spring heading north.

That said, I have also driven the I-79/US19/I-77 segment from Pittsburgh through WV/VA into NC, and it too is a wonderfully scenic drive, with virtually no traffic to be of concern. Charlotte traffic is essentially nonexistent if you take the I-485 bypass.

Whichever you select, good luck and stay safe!
__________________
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:48 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oshawa
Posts: 213
All I can say is WOW! One day and all my questions answered.

To Steve Ownby; I have been down this route in a car, and went the way you suggest in Fl. on 10 301 75. I looked at that route and did not see a place to stop within 250miles of our destination. This led me to look at the other side of Fl. where I did find a stopover. I agree with your logic of missing Orlando if it is a mess so I will have to revisit your route.

To DRL1950; We are leaving on or about 13th Oct. with overnight stops about every 250miles and staying at Myakka River Motor Coach Resort near El Jobean and Pt. Charlotte.

To BFlinn181; I think I'll try the West coast route down 301 to 75 (I've done it before by car), but thanks, I had not noticed 70 till you mentioned it.

To ChasA; I tried the A1A to 301 to 10 route by car and if felt like we were on it for a lifetime. Too many small towns with traffic congestion. I might have just hit a bad time. Going to try 295. But I would really like to thank you for your suggestion to stay at Starke KOA. I'll tell Terry you sent me.

To GaryKD; Unfortunately I have Done a lot of the planning for stops and reservations on the 79 77 route, but I will look at that one next time, thanks.

To JFXG; Thanks for the info re 485, as I've mentioned above I'm leaning to the 79 19 77 route. Thanks for the best wishes.

Thanks for all the pertinent info Guys. Bob & Belle
__________________
FixerCQI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:07 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
MCJones's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Western NC -Cherokee area
Posts: 371
I have driven from NC to tampa on both the suggested routes and I would lean toward 95 and picking up 301 just north of Jacksonville, then down. BUT! if you value your sanity, try to avoid driving on football weekends. In Georgia and north Florida they seem to take their college games very seriously and the whole world seems to travel to and from the areas on game day! have fun - mark
__________________
Mark
08 Dutch Star 4354, 2017 Wrangler JKU w/rv brake2, blue ox tow bars, Rockhard front bumper with tow fittings.
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:51 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oshawa
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJones View Post
I have driven from NC to tampa on both the suggested routes and I would lean toward 95 and picking up 301 just north of Jacksonville, then down. BUT! if you value your sanity, try to avoid driving on football weekends. In Georgia and north Florida they seem to take their college games very seriously and the whole world seems to travel to and from the areas on game day! have fun - mark
Hey Mark; I'm definitely leanin that way. This is going to sound dumb, but is there an easy way for a Canadian boy to find out what those "weekends" will be.
__________________
FixerCQI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:55 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
MCJones's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Western NC -Cherokee area
Posts: 371
Keep an eye on the Florida State games (Seminoles) and Florida (Gators) they draw crowds. Be cautious if any Georgia or S. Carolina teams are playing them. Maybe the easiest thing is to not travel the area on Friday or Saturday if you have that kind of flexibility. It also seems to me that the route is heavy during the Christmas holiday season. The 301 route is a nice drive and if you are not trying to get from point A to B as fast as possible is more fun to drive. I have to keep reminding myself it is the journey, not the destination now that I don't have to work everyday. We winter in the tampa area Nov.-Mar. and then back to the smokies. travel safe, mark
__________________
Mark
08 Dutch Star 4354, 2017 Wrangler JKU w/rv brake2, blue ox tow bars, Rockhard front bumper with tow fittings.
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:38 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Tom N's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA
Posts: 4,604
Drive to Pittsburgh and follow me.

I-79 to US19 to I-77 to I-26 to I-95 to FL200/A1A to US301

North of Charlotte take I-485 west. I-485 is the new bypass on the west side of Charlotte.

I've been driving this route since before I-77 was completed and the WV turnpike (I-77/I-64) was 2 lanes. Scenic drive.

-Tom, W3TLN
__________________
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA FMCA 335149 W3TLN
2005 Suncruiser 38R W24, no chassis mods needed 2013 Honda Accord EX-L 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:41 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
DRL1950's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fulton NY
Posts: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixerCQI View Post
All I can say is WOW! One day and all my questions answered.

To Steve Ownby; I have been down this route in a car, and went the way you suggest in Fl. on 10 301 75. I looked at that route and did not see a place to stop within 250miles of our destination. This led me to look at the other side of Fl. where I did find a stopover. I agree with your logic of missing Orlando if it is a mess so I will have to revisit your route.

To DRL1950; We are leaving on or about 13th Oct. with overnight stops about every 250miles and staying at Myakka River Motor Coach Resort near El Jobean and Pt. Charlotte.

To BFlinn181; I think I'll try the West coast route down 301 to 75 (I've done it before by car), but thanks, I had not noticed 70 till you mentioned it.

To ChasA; I tried the A1A to 301 to 10 route by car and if felt like we were on it for a lifetime. Too many small towns with traffic congestion. I might have just hit a bad time. Going to try 295. But I would really like to thank you for your suggestion to stay at Starke KOA. I'll tell Terry you sent me.

To GaryKD; Unfortunately I have Done a lot of the planning for stops and reservations on the 79 77 route, but I will look at that one next time, thanks.

To JFXG; Thanks for the info re 485, as I've mentioned above I'm leaning to the 79 19 77 route. Thanks for the best wishes.

Thanks for all the pertinent info Guys. Bob & Belle

Maybe we I'll see you there we are staying there also but won't be there until January!
__________________

__________________
David & Anne Marie
2015 Dutch Star 4369
All Electric Coach
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
advice



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maine Route 1: Brunswick to Ellsworth Low Clearance Information vettenuts Navigation, Routes & Roads 10 07-25-2015 08:10 AM
Help With a Route BPoland Navigation, Routes & Roads 15 06-10-2015 04:52 PM
Route Questions KarenS144 Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 7 12-21-2014 09:46 PM
Traveling in Potential Winter Weather - Need Advice.. Newrider Class A Motorhome Discussions 12 11-19-2014 09:59 PM
Intro and Request for Advice bb32 Solo RV'ers 9 06-24-2014 06:57 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.