Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
Tiffin Owners Club
snow driving tips??

any tips on driving in snow with 32 ft allegro, no tow car. we are heading to las vegas in march and wondering about passes and snow. thanks

monalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Leave plenty of time and allow the passes to be clear before proceeding. If in snow, slow and smooth is the best. No fast acceleration or braking, or quick steering moves. If you don't feel safe, stop and wait for the roads to be cleared. If you drive on salted roads, be sure to rinse the underside of the vehicle when you get out of the snowy region.

Biggest problem in vehicle with a long overhang is rear end 'breaking loose.' Gentle approach to turning, lane changes, etc. and you'll be fine. If you get into a region with snow, take some time in a vacant parking lot to see about how the RV handles in snow. I learned in a school bus to do 'donuts' and skids in an empty lot to learn how the vehicle felt in snow. It has served me well.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
go really fast to get out of it!
seriously if road conditions are that bad pull over and wait for the roads to improve,check hiway conditions and remember if passes are that bad you will be required to carry chains
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
If you really want to avoid the snow, (which shouldn't be too hard to do in March) turn off at Eugene, Or and go to the coast. Take 101 down into Cal and cut across to I 5 or 99. Go to Bakersfield and go east to Barstow then I 15 to Vegas. Other wise check the weather/road reports and pray.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #5

My response disappeared so will try again. If at all possible leave a couple of days early and then wait out any hazardous driving conditions. Also you can check this site TripCheck - Oregon Department of Transportation for highway road cameras in Oregon - with links to California and road conditions. If you have to drive in/on snow go slow - 35 mph maximum would be my thought even if faster feels safe. As mentioned highway 101 would be an option but personally I'd wait out until I-5 clears. Also, If weather is clear I'd not hesitate to take 89 across to Susanville and then Reno.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
Originally Posted by monalisa View Post
any tips on driving in snow........
Leave the hurry, vanity and stress at home.

Drive a speed that is 5 to 10 mph SLOWER than you feel comfortable at and enjoy the drive. Even snowstorms are pretty scenery. Talk to the DW, take breaks, forget your schedule.

It's supposed to be a vacation, enjoy it. Stress is for back home at work.

Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is offline   Reply With Quote