Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #1

Snowbirds beware

Friends of ours have just travelled back from Southern Arizona to Alberta, and I would like to re-post part of their email, just as a "be on the look-out" for anyone travelling home at this time;

"We were in Cedar City getting diesel and I saw this fellow looking at our tires. I walked over and asked if I could help him. He said that our shackle something or other was loose. Eric came over and he looked and said that wasn't the problem. This fellow said that he had a shop at the next exit and he could fix it. Eric asked if he had welder and the fellow said he could bring one in. Eric decided to take the 5th wheel to a bigger truck stop two exits down the road. It turned out the brackets for the leaf springs were broken and the mechanic there said they could grind them off and put new brackets on. He quoted about $200. Eric said go for it. Within 5 min. they had the parts delivered and an hour later we were on the road with a $220 bill. We were happy. We emailed friends behind us and told them. The next day we got an email from these friends saying that they were in Cedar City having lunch in a restaurant. A fellow was by their trailer, looking at their tires. This fellow said one of their tires was separating and he had a shop down the road. So they went there and $1300 [$2000US] they had 4 new tires and 4 new shocks on their trailer. These people have had their trailer for 5 years and only travel from Ed to Yuma every year, so there shouldn't have been that much damage, plus they had just bought a new tire two years ago. We were thankful that this fellow pointed out the problem we did have, but we could have made it home, but if not pointed out I'm not sure Eric would have looked as hard as he did. So I am glad he was out there. I think people need to be aware that there are people out there looking for RVers and conning them. I told another couple and they said there was a fellow doing that in Wells NV, so it seems they are all over the place. When travelling and someone says something, do your own looking. Unfortunately some RVers don't know enough about their rigs to do their own check ups. "

Safe travels everyone

montana4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #2

Know your RV , and always get a second opinion.
Trust a fellow RVer before, you trust a salesman.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #3

Gotta be smarter than the average Bear when enjoying the RV Life !
Old 03-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #4

So, I guess I don't get the beware part. Someone is checking out traveler's rigs and pointed out a dangerous condition that you may never have noticed, they fixed for you and you're happy ? What is the "con" ?
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #5

I wonder who the next sucker will be?
Old 03-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Being a RVer, you yourself need to know if something is truly in need of repair. But, there are people out there looking for "opportunities" to fleece people. They see people with rigs knowing they must have $$$ to afford "that" so what is a few $$$ to them.

It happens in all facets if life: Car repair, home repair, insurance, investments... It's so common now people almost expect to be tripped up in a scam.

With that said, we RVers in general are a savvy & thrifty bunch. That is why we can afford this lifestyle. We know if we watch are pennies, we can have the freedom to explore nature with our "Condo's on wheels".

Just watch it...
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #7

I'm still trying to figure out how $1300 = $2000.... Last I checked we were just under par. Must have used the 1975 calculator, lol
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
A couple of years ago I stopped for fuel in Scipio, UT (about 120 miles north of Cedar City) and had a guy come up to me and say "your right front tire is bad" and then tell me he had a tire shop and he could change it for me. I looked at the tire and told him it was just fine, he gave me a "look" and walked away. At that time my tires were about 6 month old and had about 2000 miles on them. They were fine for another 25000 miles when I sold the coach.
There are scamers out there so beware!
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #9

$2000 for 4 new tires and 4 new shocks is actually a deal if they're good tires and shocks
Old 04-03-2013, 03:55 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
So, I guess I don't get the beware part. Someone is checking out traveler's rigs and pointed out a dangerous condition that you may never have noticed, they fixed for you and you're happy ? What is the "con" ?
The con was probably that he would have fixed the problem for 4 times what was reasonable. It should strike you are somewhat convenient that the person who just happens to find your problem also has the means of fixing it.

There was a documentary in the news a few years ago about unnecessary vehicle repairs. They focused in on a garage that seemed to have a lot of complaints about expensive RV repairs. They set up a sting and sent in an RV with an older couple to fuel up. As soon as they pulled into the station, a mechanic came up to them as said "did you hear that grinding noise?" He offered to check it out for them; crawled underneath, took off the transmission pan and placed a bunch of metal filings in it which he took from a hanky stuffed in his pants. He then crawled out, and showed the driver this plate with a bunch of metal shavings stuck in the lubricant. Of course, he warned them that they couldn't go on with the vehicle about to break down. He phoned around and made a big show of looking for a replacement part and finally said that he thought he found a used one. He then took out whatever it was he was taking out, some gear assembly and went off with it on the pretext of making sure that the used one was in fact the same part.
Of course what he really did was take the perfectly good part, cleaned it and brought it back and showed it to the couple as the supposed replacement used assembly. He then installed it and away they went. What the mechanic didn't know was that there was a hidden camera pointed right down at him that filmed the whole procedure and that the gear assembly had been stamped specially so as to be sure that the gears had not actually been replaced by another part. As a result of the film, the mechanic and several cohorts were charged with fraud and convicted.

Always get a second opinion. It is a sad fact that good Samaritans aren't always what they seem.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:00 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
$2000 for 4 new tires and 4 new shocks is actually a deal if they're good tires and shocks
Not if they are replacing perfectly good tires and shocks.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
60 minutes on TV did a long report on these types of scams years ago. It happened often on the Eastern turnpikes. If you don't know or in doubt get a second opinion.