Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2016, 07:36 PM   #1

So. Ca. to MO.

I am new to this and only took one trip so far, 300 miles to Mammoth Mountain.
Trying to get nerve to go from So. Ca. to southern Missouri, is route 40 to 44 the best route for MH its the only one I have made in car before.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2016, 07:46 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vietnam vet View Post
Trying to get nerve to go from So. Ca. to southern Missouri, is route 40 to 44 the best route for MH its the only one I have made in car before.
I-10 -> I-15 -> I-40 -> I-44 is the primary route LA to Springfield.

You could get off I-40 and take other routes if you prefer to avoid the interstate.
Plan to take your time driving across Oklahoma the condition of the pavement on the roads there will give your RV a good pounding.

powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:52 PM   #3

Its not the roads that worry me about Okla. Its those funnel looking things.
Manhattan I remember well, stationed in Ft, Riley before going overseas.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:12 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Its not the roads that worry me about Okla. Its those funnel looking things.
Manhattan I remember well, stationed in Ft, Riley before going overseas.
Thanks for the reply.
The worst of severe weather season is past for Oklahoma and Kansas but you can keep an eye on the 7 day extended forecasts when you start your trip to see what your risk is. Your chances of getting caught in severe weather is VERY low. Personally I have lived in Kansas most of my life and have never been near a tornado and only had hail damage of home or vehicle twice in 45 years.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:27 PM   #5

You're in Sun City. We're in Murrieta. Us So Cal types aren't used to weather. About a decade ago our son was stationed at Scott AFB. Visited it about this time of year. Went thru a number of thunderstorms, one really strong one at the very nice Precious Moments RV park. Driving near Hannibal, saw storm clouds brewing. About every RV on the road headed to the nearest RV park. We beat the crowd in. Spent the last 3 years essentially full timing it. Around here, I watch for wind. Out there, I watch for whatever their demon is. Get a couple of good weather apps for the smart phone. We have NOAA on our coach radio. It provides weather alerts. So do a couple of my apps on my iPhone. You sure can't let the potential of dangerous weather keep you from traveling, but you can time your travels & watch out for potential danger. (One last thing. I find people in tornado alley to be incredibly complacent about them. 3 years ago, we visited family in Tulsa a bit earlier than planned. Having gone thru a horrible one 50 years ago in Wichita Falls, Texas, I am phobic about twisters. Locals thought I was a crazy Surfer Dude. They think earthquakes are worse! Our original itinerary had us spending the night in OKC the very day of the Moore, OK., tornado. And I always inquire as to where the tornado shelters are at the RV parks.). Be prepared to alter your route or delay travel where warranted. Just like when the winds kick up in Cajon Pass.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:57 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
CA-OK

Greetings Vietnam Vet. We made the same journey a few years back.
Yes the weather is a key factor. Keep a keen eye out and you will not
have any problem.

One thing I would like to emphasize is taking your time.
Enjoy the trip, get rid of any kind of schedule.

If it looks and sounds bad don't travel on that day.

We drove mainly on I-40 and it was a nice drive.
(Good road as it parallels the old mother road of RT-66.)

We continued on to Tulsa, then went northeast to Joplin and Springfield and
on to St. Louis.

Bryan
Bryan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:02 AM   #7

Since you are close by I would like to know if you need work done who do you have do it? Also did you try the CHF cheap fix that lots are talking about, to help with handling?
Thanks
Old 06-15-2016, 01:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Since you are close by I would like to know if you need work done who do you have do it? Also did you try the CHF cheap fix that lots are talking about, to help with handling?
Thanks
First off, ours is a gas Winnebago. Ford. We retired out of Temecula. Started full-timing about 3.5 years ago. Prior to that, with our previous Ford gas coach, I had the engine tune up type stuff done . . . Don't remember the name of the place. It is in Temecula. Just off Diaz, very close to Winchester Rd. They did a good job. I never did find a place I was totally satisfied with for the yearly coach type maintenance stuff. {I will share that the local RV dealer in Murrieta provided me with two separate very disappointing experiences. One of them lead to my discovering mobile RV service techs. One we used about 5 years ago, think out of Menifee, was very good. Once again, not sure of the name. Another, we used last winter while staying at Pechanga (at their recommendation) was from the Corona area. He was also very good. If you're interested in going that route, you could call Pechanga & ask or check yellow pages / Internet. An advantage to the mobile techs is that they get the job done quick. None of this 'the coach sits for 3 weeks until they get to it' stuff.} I recently had an RV dealer out of the area tell me that Temecula RV has a very good reputation. I tried to use them once, but they didn't work on Fords. While full-timing it, I have had most of the work done at Redlands Truck & RV. They do it all. Coach & chassis. Very pleased with them. Chatter on these forums has suggested a similar place in Colton may be as good, maybe a little cheaper. I will continue to have Redlands do everything on our coach. As far as the cheap handling fix . . . By the time I discovered how badly our coach handles winds, we were full time. RV parks tend to frown on working on your rigs. I have not tried any of the cheap fixes. What I have done, is have Redlands do a road test & make recommendations. Which I followed to the letter. And It wasn't cheap.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:42 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi All, Sorry I can't help you on gas rigs handling problems as ours uses
the other fuel type.

I can say that sometimes a RV repair shop is not the first choice. I have found
that there are many automobile repair shops that do grate work on RV's.
The independent mobile guys IMHO are grate repairers.

And that is all I will say about that

B
Bryan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:36 AM   #10

Come I-40 to I-49N which goes north to I-44 great drive magnificent views of Boston mountains.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:31 PM   #11

Quote:
I've driven from Orange County to Tulsa more times than I can count. Or, well, at least 10-15+ times round trip. This time of your should be a fairly uneventful drive as far as weather is concerned. The only thing I will mention is to pick your routes wisely around OKC. Within OKC the roads are awful at best as well as several turnpikes where you will accidentally get on and have to pay. Also, I-44 is a turnpike so make sure you keep $10-$20 in quarters or have small bills available.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parks View Post
I've driven from Orange County to Tulsa more times than I can count. Or, well, at least 10-15+ times round trip. This time of your should be a fairly uneventful drive as far as weather is concerned. The only thing I will mention is to pick your routes wisely around OKC. Within OKC the roads are awful at best as well as several turnpikes where you will accidentally get on and have to pay. Also, I-44 is a turnpike so make sure you keep $10-$20 in quarters or have small bills available.
That is why I would stay on 40 till I got to I-49 this is new 4 lane N from Ft. Smith to Joplin.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:23 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Yes, do the CHF

Quote:
Thanks
The CHF is easy to do and costs nothing but time as long as you have a torque wrench to retorque the bolts to 66 Ft lbs.

Read the CHF thread and look at the many pictures before attempting so you know what you are looking for and how to do it. Keep in mind when parked, the CHF tends to pull your front wheels off the ground a little quicker. Try to ask for an RV sight that is not low in the front and everything will be fine.

Contact TeJay or the OP for the CHF if you have any specific questions after reading through the thread.

KPFulltimers is offline   Reply With Quote