Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
So Cal to Indiana

We just signed up to go to the Newmar Internation Rally in Goshen. This will be our first big trip in the M/H. We are looking for suggestions on a route and things to see and places to stay. We will probably go back one way and return home another. We will be taking a month each way, so the fastest route isn't needed. I am thinking that we would take it easy and see and enjoy as much as possible. I would like to avoid any long drives, but know that may be impossible. Thanks in advance for all your help.

mbisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mike,
Before posting suggestions, can you tell us about areas of the country you've already been to? This way we can focus on things you may not have already seen.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Well, last time I traveled across country was 1953 and I was 6. So the wife and myself are open to all good suggestions.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
We're doing the opposite trip right now from NJ to Malibu (currently in Amarillo, TX). Our timeframe is a little more compressed in 4 days!

If I was taking a month, hit:
Vegas
Grand Canyon
Zion
Bryce
Monument Valley
Petrified Forest
Sante Fe
Pikes Peak, AF Academy
Denver
KC Royals Game
Cards Game, ride up to the top of the Arch
then to Indiana
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I-40)
The Meteor Crater - near Winslow, AZ
The Murra Federal Bldg Memorial - Oklahoma City
The Cowboy Museum - Oklahoma City
Graceland - Memphis, TN

I-70)
Eisenhower Presidential Museum - Abilene, KS

I-80)
Platte River Road Archway Meuseum - Kearney, NE
Herbert Hoover Presidential Library - West Bend, IA

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:53 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I am surprised no one has suggested Yellowstone or Mt. Rushmore yet.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbisson View Post
I am surprised no one has suggested Yellowstone or Mt. Rushmore yet.
Why are you surprised? They haven't even mentioned the Grand Canyon yet, or Sedona, or Boulder Dam, or Monument Valley, or Zion, or Bryce Canyon, or Colorado Natl. Monument, or Arches, or Golden (Coors Brewery), or St. Louis (Budweiser Brewery), just to name a few more.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mike,
My recommendations are based on:
1. You'll be traveling East in July/August. It is hot. Families are vacationing.
2. You'll be traveling West in Late August/September. Kids re back in school. It should be a bit cooler.
3. Many out of the way places. You know the big name sites as much as the rest of us.
4. There is so much to see, consider this trip as a "Whitman's Sampler". I am touring the 49 states for the second time. It takes me 10 years to complete on tour of the 49 states.
5. If any of these places sound interesting, you can go to the Internet and learn more.
6. If you want CG suggestions, post here or PM me.
7. I've been to each recommendation, most likely more than once.

Eastbound
1. Saguaro Nat Park in southeastern AZ.
2. Tombstone, AZ
3. Gila Cliff Dwellings Nat Monument, Southwestern NM
4. White Sands Nat. Monument rent the saucers and slide down the dunes
5. Carlsbad Caverns Nat Park, Carlsbad, NM See the bats leave at sundown.
6. San Antonio, TX See the Alamo and River Walk
7. Branson, MO in Southwestern MO. A "G" rates city with all "G" rated entertainment.
8. Crater of Diamonds State Park, in Southwestern Arkansas Dig for diamonds. It's finders keepers.
9. Hot Springs, Arkansas Indulge yourself with a sauna, hot tub and massage. Just like the rich folks did many years ago.
10. Memphis, TN. See where Elvis lived. Consider staying at Tom Sawyer's CG in West Memphis, Arkansas. The CG is right on the banks of the Mississippi.
11. Tupelo. MS See where Elvis was born and raised.
12. Huntsville Alabama. NASA has a research center here. A Saturn V rocket with an Apollo capsule on top is in the vertical position and seems ready to launch. It is the only place one can see this. There is a day's worth of NASA sightseeing here.
13. Nashville, TN. See the Grand Olde Opry (it's quite a show) and the Country Music Hall of Fame.
14. Lexington, Kentucky. The Kentucky Horse Park and CG. This place is all about thoroughbred horse racing.
15. Creation Museum, Petersburg, KY. This is just SW of Cincinnati. This puts the creation story side by side with the evolution story.
16. Shipshewana, Indiana. Plan to stay in this town pre rally, unless you are getting factory service done. There is more Amish opportunities than you can take in, no matter how long you stay here. You may not leave a better man, but you will leave a larger one. Amish cooking is not to be missed.

Northbound Then Westbound
1. Mackinaw Island - Between the upper and lower parts of Michigan. Take the boat to the island, only horse power on the island, no autos
2. Sault St. Marie. - Learn all about the Great Lakes shipping industry.
3. Minneapolis, MN - Go to the Mall of America. The largest shopping mall in the USA. It has a full size amusement park inside the mall.
4. Mitchell, SD - See the corn palace and prehistoric Indian ruins.
5. Badlands National Park, SD.
6. Minuteman Missile National Historic Site at Exit 131 on I 90. See an actual launch control room and missile in it's silo. The tour guides have been ex-launch officers. After this tour you'll be able to pick out missile silo's as you travel I 90. They are hidden in plane view. Reservations are a must, well in advance.
7. Wall Drug - Everybody stops at Wall Drug when traveling on I90.
8. Mt. Rushmore National Monument and Crazy Horse Monument in South Western SD.
9. Wooly Mammoth archaeological site in Hot Springs, SD. This is South of #8.
10. Devil's Tower National Monument in Northeastern Wyoming.
11. Medicine Wheel National Historic Landmark, Medicine Wheel, Wyoming Do not take the coach on RT 14. Camp in a local town. This place is very moving.
12. Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument in Montana.
13. Glacier National Park in the North Western corner of Montana. This is my favorite NP. If you like hiking this is the NP to visit. Iceberg Lake and Grinnell Glacier are two great hikes to take. There is also going to the sun road (no coach) to travel.
14. Craters of the Moon Nat. Monument southeastern corner of Idaho.
15. The Great Salt lake near Salt Lake City, Utah
16. Las Vegas, Nevada - If you want to stay at a luxury Motor Coach resort, PM me.
17. Amboy Crater, Amboy CA and Joshua Tree National Monument - 29 Palms is a convenient CG to stay and see both of these places. About a 1 mile hike one way to climb the cinder cone and walk down into the crater. The town of Amboy, CA is basically a diner and gas station. However, they are both as they were in the 50's and 60's. Not recreated, but the real thing, well preserved.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
WOW Gary,

That is a lot of information and just what I was looking for. Now we need to sit down and just decide which way we are going to go. I wasn't thinking of going that far south either way, but you pointed out a lot of places to go and see. I think we may take more time than we originally planned and extend the trip some. There is so much to see it is hard to decide which way to go. Thank you for your input.