Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2005, 01:53 PM   #1

I need help w/routing --- looking for the least mountainous route, even if it means adding miles to my trip. The old AAA Map&Go is all I have to work with; I see two options -- take 80/90 east to I-77 then south to Charlotte. Is direct, but takes me thru W.VA and VA, across Appalachian Mts and scares me silly. Other option is thru Indianapolis to Louisville to Nashville to Chattanooga to Atlanta to Charlotte. This adds 200 miles and I still see mts around Chattanooga, but maybe this is "foothill" area? Any/all suggestions and information is much appreciated! (I leave on 9/27). Thanks to all.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2005, 01:53 PM   #2

I need help w/routing --- looking for the least mountainous route, even if it means adding miles to my trip. The old AAA Map&Go is all I have to work with; I see two options -- take 80/90 east to I-77 then south to Charlotte. Is direct, but takes me thru W.VA and VA, across Appalachian Mts and scares me silly. Other option is thru Indianapolis to Louisville to Nashville to Chattanooga to Atlanta to Charlotte. This adds 200 miles and I still see mts around Chattanooga, but maybe this is "foothill" area? Any/all suggestions and information is much appreciated! (I leave on 9/27). Thanks to all.

Old 09-18-2005, 04:29 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Just came back from Hershey PA and Harrisburg PA which isn't fra from where you are going. Using the Pennsylvania Turnpike, their scales were way off and we were charged almost double. When I questioned them as to how such a difference, it was like the wild dogs of summer were released from their pens. The 76 to 80 Interchange is managed by a bunch of crazy jerks. This morning I went to their web site, strange, they have a special contact for fraud and abuse division. I thnk something is amissed here. In any event I'd stay away from this route.

I don't think it's all that much more to take the southern route. We've gone this way many times and find it's not all that mountainous and difficult. You could even take 70 from 465 at Indy and go east to 75.

Since your on the computer there are a number of travel routing sites that are free.

http://www.freetrip.com
http://www.mapquest.com
smsgoogle.com

type in the address box "US Travel Planners and Maps". You'll get all the help you need.

Radarr
Old 09-18-2005, 05:57 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Recheck your map or software!

South Bend, IN to Charlotte, NC via I80/90 to I77 to Charlotte will NOT take you anywhere near Pennsylvania. I80/I90 to I77, this is the preferred routing according to my SA2005 and S&T2005. But cut the corner off via US250 in Ohio.

I often travel the PA pike with my motorhome and toad and have never had a problem with their ticketing and scales. And just returned to Pittsburgh from the PA RV Show in Hershey on Friday.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 07:43 AM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
I have not traveled north on I-77 than the intersection of I-81, but can say there is a major downhill at Fancy Gap, Virginia at the Va/NC line on I-77 if you are heading south.

Can't recall any major mountains on I-75 from Knoxville to Atlanta...but Lord the traffic!!!

If you have never been in Atlanta traffic on most of the interstates here, be prepared for 80+ MPH or stop and go for miles.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:11 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
If you go through Atlanta on a trip from South Bend, IN to Charlotte, NC you've gone 1000 miles out of your way!

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote